UFC 205: Conor Takes Manhattan (Nov. 12)

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Eddie not doing himself any favors with this:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/11/...tewing-over-performance-vs-conor-mcgregor-i-f

"I don't know if it was after I got hit that I kind of went into fight or flight mode," Alvarez said. "But I got hit and I went right and I boxed, I did the opposite of my plan for eight minutes when the whole plan for two months in training was go left and mostly wrestle. ... It might have landed on the back of my head. To he honest with you, that first shot, I had no clue what it was. I had no clue, and my butt was on the ground, and I remember in my head going ‘what the f*** was that?' I have no clue what the shot that dropped me was but I think it was I threw and he threw at the same time."

Just own it. You went in and got beaten. No shame in that. It happens to literally everyone in MMA at some point. But implying after the fact that the first punch was to the back of your head is weak. Especially when it wasn't. Just take the loss, learn from it, and get better.

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
Yep. He's by far better than Eddie, despite Eddie caving his face in when they actually fought. Somehow that logic makes complete sense to some people. :laugh:

Did you watch the fight, or just the replay of the finish? RDA was smothering Eddie until he got caught, I'd easily take RDA in a rematch

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Did you watch the fight, or just the replay of the finish? RDA was smothering Eddie until he got caught, I'd easily take RDA in a rematch

Watched it live. I've always thought that RDA was grossly overrated. When Eddie smashed him, that was exactly what I expected. If they fought again, I'd bet the house that it would go the same way. RDA had a nice little run, but he's more of a win one, lose one kind of fighter than a dominant guy.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Eddie not doing himself any favors with this:

Just own it. You went in and got beaten. No shame in that. It happens to literally everyone in MMA at some point. But implying after the fact that the first punch was to the back of your head is weak. Especially when it wasn't. Just take the loss, learn from it, and get better.
I took the back of the head comment to mean like where JDS caught Cain. That sweet spot that drops guys even with great chins. Seems to mess up the equilibrium and is one of those "button" type spots. I don't think he meant it was an illegal blow to the back of the head. Just my two cents though.

But either way, a lot of his post fight commentary is just an attempt at rationalization by a fighter that just got thoroughly outclassed. Easier to swallow if you can convince yourself you fought dumb than you were beaten THAT easily.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think people are forgetting how good Alvarez actually is just because Conor beat him with ease.

Yep. Big fan of his. 205 was tough for me because I'm a fan of both McGregor and Eddie. In the end, I was pulling for the best story, which was Conor holding two belts simultaneously, but I'd have been fine with it had Eddie won. Eddie vs RDA was a beating. Eddie against RDA again would end up in a beating just like last time, IMO, because Alvarez is a really, really good fighter.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I took the back of the head comment to mean like where JDS caught Cain. That sweet spot that drops guys even with great chins. Seems to mess up the equilibrium and is one of those "button" type spots. I don't think he meant it was an illegal blow to the back of the head. Just my two cents though.

But either way, a lot of his post fight commentary is just an attempt at rationalization by a fighter that just got thoroughly outclassed. Easier to swallow if you can convince yourself you fought dumb than you were beaten THAT easily.

Maybe he meant it that way and I just misread it. I certainly hope that's what he was saying because if he meant it was an illegal shot, it comes off far worse, and I say that as a fan of his.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
Yep. He's by far better than Eddie, despite Eddie caving his face in when they actually fought. Somehow that logic makes complete sense to some people. :laugh:

Meh, he got caught, so what. He's a lot more skilled than Eddie. But he's not the same post-steroids.

Word is Conor's off til May. Khabib and Ferguson for the title shot?

There won't be any title shots until Conor returns. Maybe interim BS again.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Meh, he got caught, so what. He's a lot more skilled than Eddie. But he's not the same post-steroids.

There won't be any title shots until Conor returns. Maybe interim BS again.

So if he's not the same since the USADA, what does that really say about his abilities? Guy is not that good. At all. If he needed the juice to even be decent, it means he's exactly what I said he was. Win one, lose one. Look good, look bad.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
There's a January Fox card right? Khabib v Ferguson 5 rounds would be great.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
So if he's not the same since the USADA, what does that really say about his abilities? Guy is not that good. At all. If he needed the juice to even be decent, it means he's exactly what I said he was. Win one, lose one. Look good, look bad.

I mean... natural?

Eddie-Alvarez.jpg

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I mean... natural?

Eddie-Alvarez.jpg

One problem with what you're saying though. Eddie smashed RDA after USADA testing was in place. All of RDA's big wins came when there was no testing. He's 2-1 since, with his lone win coming over Cerrone in a fight where Cowboy clearly wasn't right.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
True but I wouldn't call Cerrone loss a fluke. Even though Cowboy is my favorite fighter, he routinely loses to elite-level fighters (Benson, Diaz, Pettis, Dos Anjos x2).

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Cerrone "clearly" wasn't right? Yah because RDA smashed him and didn't give him a chance to do anything.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
True but I wouldn't call Cerrone loss a fluke. Even though Cowboy is my favorite fighter, he routinely loses to elite-level fighters (Benson, Diaz, Pettis, Dos Anjos x2).

Agreed. I love Cowboy, but he's come up short in big spots. The last fight vs RDA though, he didn't do anything. Just walked forward and took a beating. :laugh:

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
GSP McGregor is where the money is. Khabib isn't going to get a big payday just yet.
Odd coming from a guy with a Fedor avatar. Khabib said it to Rogan. Dagestan is almost as big as Ireland. Russia is 25x Ireland. The UFC wants to go to Russia, and Khabib beating the **** out of Conor for the belt is how you crush UFC 129 and sell out Luzhniki Stadium in Moscow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad