GDT: UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Very curious on their PPV numbers for this card. It's a card that would be 300k without CM Punk, with maybe a slight spike coming off 202. Are we talking around, 500k-600k?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Very curious on their PPV numbers for this card. It's a card that would be 300k without CM Punk, with maybe a slight spike coming off 202. Are we talking around, 500k-600k?

Marc Raimondi was estimating 650-700K.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I was surprised to see Overeems payday, 800k to show, wow. Nice the champ make some serious bank as well.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Those numbers would be great for the UFC and for CM Punk as well if he's getting PPV points.

Ariel and John Pollock threw out an interesting idea. They said CM Punk might not fight in the UFC again but they could do what they did with Cyborg/Invicta. So maybe have him fight lesser competition on a RFA/Legacy card and air it on Fight Pass. They'd be the ones paying him too and can still pay him a lot so he wouldn't need to go to Bellator or another competitor. Wouldn't be the worst thing for him, even though it's a smaller platform.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Those numbers would be great for the UFC and for CM Punk as well if he's getting PPV points.

Ariel and John Pollock threw out an interesting idea. They said CM Punk might not fight in the UFC again but they could do what they did with Cyborg/Invicta. So maybe have him fight lesser competition on a RFA/Legacy card and air it on Fight Pass. They'd be the ones paying him too and can still pay him a lot so he wouldn't need to go to Bellator or another competitor. Wouldn't be the worst thing for him, even though it's a smaller platform.

Seems like a win/win to me. It would definitely draw interest to FP and whatever small org they throw him in.

RonFournier

Dec 17, 2006
Ahhh ! you were tracking Miocic for some time as a future potential UFC HWC ?
why ?

I didn't see him as a potential HWC until the JDS fight, and at that point Velasquez was still the champ and I didn't think Stipe could beat him anyways. But stylistically as soon as I saw Miocic vs Nelson/Gonzaga I thought he would make a great fight against Cain because he has heart, great striking and unlike JDS, great grappling.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
Here is the full list of disclosed fighter purses from UFC 203.

MAIN CARD
-- Stipe Miocic ($600,000) def. Alistair Overeem ($800,000)
-- Fabricio Werdum ($375,000) def. Travis Browne ($120,000)
-- Mickey Gall ($30,000) def. CM Punk ($500,000)
-- Jimmie Rivera ($48,000) def. Urijah Faber ($160,000)
-- Jessica Andrade ($46,000) def. Joanne Calderwood ($25,000)

PRELIMINARY CARD
-- Bethe Correia ($50,000) def. Jessica Eye ($25,000)
-- Brad Tavares ($56,000) def. Caio Magalhaes ($20,000)
-- Nik Lentz ($76,000) def. Michael McBride ($12,000)
-- Drew Dober ($38,000) def. Jason Gonzales ($10,000)
-- Yancy Medeiros ($48,000) def. Sean Spencer ($17,000)

The figures above do not include any sponsorship dollars or performance bonuses a fighter may have received. For example, Miocic and Overeem earned an additional $50,000 for winning Fight of the Night. Medeiros and Andrade also made an extra $50,000 each for Performance of the Night. Miocic was the only victorious fighter not to earn a win bonus. His $600,000 purse was a flat rate.

Link

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Wonder how PPV points worked for the other guys on the card. Punk might have made them some money.

I hate the whining of fighters. If you want to make money, be really good or make people want to see you. If you can do both, even better. CM Punk made the company a ton of money this weekend.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
People don't understand how business works. Make yourself valuable to the company you work for. Make them money. It's not always about whose the best at something.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
People don't understand how business works. Make yourself valuable to the company you work for. Make them money. It's not always about whose the best at something.

Ronda Rousey vs Taylor Swift would make money, doesn't mean they should do it.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
They're right.

The UFC looks like such a joke right now.

Meh not really. It'll be quickly forgotten. I don't see one person calling off their fandom because of this, in fact I see the opposite, Punk brought eyes, and put butts in seats for the UFC and MMA in general.

Hundreds of amazing fights this year, but this Punk fight is gonna just ruin em :sarcasm:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Meh not really. It'll be quickly forgotten. I don't see one person calling off their fandom because of this, in fact I see the opposite, Punk brought eyes, and put butts in seats for the UFC and MMA in general.

Hundreds of amazing fights this year, but this Punk fight is gonna just ruin em :sarcasm:

Yeah, pretty much. I'm not a big fan of the sideshows, but once in awhile I get it. There has to be a story behind it, and there was. He brought new eyeballs and new money to the sport, and other fighters should be happy for that.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Awesome seeing Punk get his ass handed to him like that. Never liked the guy. I don't know how at his age you continue fighting after being that outclassed by a relative novice, but to each his own.

Browne seems to have the Rashad syndrome, but ten times worse. He doesn't trust his chin anymore and is terrified to engage. I doubt there's a stat for it but my guess is that's the least strikes thrown by one fighter in a 15-minute standup fight in the history of the UFC. If I were him I would've attacked Werdum when he went to kick Browne's coach. You're furious, you just got embarrassed, and you just stand there? The guy is done. Amazing how fast he fell. I remember the Bigfoot fight where he was bouncing around and Rogan couldn't stop talking about his freakish speed/athleticism for a HW. Pretty much been all downhill from there.

Was very surprised Reem didn't lock up the guillotine, but minus catching Miocic with that left he looked absolutely terrible. Didn't look like he was in the best shape either which was disappointing. I have nothing against Miocic but he just doesn't strike me as an exceptional fighter. My guess is he loses to whoever they have him fight next (I'm assuming Cain).

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
The way CM Punk lost is disturbing ...

i don't get the fighters who attack the opponent so easily. (like Cat Zingano on Ronda or ... others)
Each time i see such a thing, i think that the guy is a pure beginner.
I have this consideration in Muay-Thai ... so considering that the opponent has jiujitsu skills and available moves ... it is plain stupid.

And 1/2 million is insane ... i do understand PPV or stuff like that ... it is unreal for such a guy.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Punk made so many beginner's mistakes that it's dangerous to even think he can fight in the UFC again.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Awesome seeing Punk get his ass handed to him like that. Never liked the guy. I don't know how at his age you continue fighting after being that outclassed by a relative novice, but to each his own.

Browne seems to have the Rashad syndrome, but ten times worse. He doesn't trust his chin anymore and is terrified to engage. I doubt there's a stat for it but my guess is that's the least strikes thrown by one fighter in a 15-minute standup fight in the history of the UFC. If I were him I would've attacked Werdum when he went to kick Browne's coach. You're furious, you just got embarrassed, and you just stand there? The guy is done. Amazing how fast he fell. I remember the Bigfoot fight where he was bouncing around and Rogan couldn't stop talking about his freakish speed/athleticism for a HW. Pretty much been all downhill from there.

Was very surprised Reem didn't lock up the guillotine, but minus catching Miocic with that left he looked absolutely terrible. Didn't look like he was in the best shape either which was disappointing. I have nothing against Miocic but he just doesn't strike me as an exceptional fighter. My guess is he loses to whoever they have him fight next (I'm assuming Cain).

Browne just looked like he didn't want to be there. Barely engaged, put himself at risk for having the fight stopped with the finger stop, and even post-fight didn't get involved. The only non-mental reasoning would be if he was sick or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad