GDT: UFC 203: Miocic vs. Overeem

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
:rolleyes:

Yes, Punk leaving a job where his coworkers are making upwards of six figures a year(with or without him), and leaving his fans to find someone else to cheer for is the same as leaving people with disabilities to fend for themselves...

Sour apple bitter *****es.
How's it different? I work to make money just like everyone else. I'd never do that in a million years, but in my mind the principal is the same. If I ever signed a contract, I'd honor it. I'd respect the people who helped me get to where I am.

You can call it bitter all you want. I disagree. I call it honour.

Lol, the dude was sick as hell and somehow survived with a huge MRSA infection for months due to the negligence of the company.

He was an independent contractor. He could have done whatever he wanted. Instead of making himself miserable and depressed as hell and do something he didn't like anymore, he left, got himself help, got better and healthier, and didn't risk his opponents bodies in WWE by doing something he was 100% into anymore.

You claim you're not bitter but your posts in this thread and on the wrestling's boards' thread for the fight point to bitterness.

Punk got ****ed but he deserves all the respect in the world for having a dream and jumping at the chance and getting out of his comfort zone.
I didn't expect him to go on forever. But he could have given notice or given his fans a proper goodbye. He could have finished his feud with one more appearance. That's just how I think respect works. I feel like respect is something you show to everyone else. My example was extremely ridiculous but this pro wrestling. :P

As far as the infection goes - I don't know much about that. Had it been settled? If that's 100% correct from what I just read - I take what I said about him leaving back assuming he quit fairly soon after. He's health is most important. And I'll feel bad for bad talking him.

I'm not bitter. Was never a huge Punk fan. Mostly, I thought if this was his dream he should do it right. Figured he did it for a payday. I'm seeing the money amount is pretty small (if accurate - which contradicts Punk's comment to Gall a week ago). And if I'm honest, if the Habs or WWE offered me the chance to suit up ... I would too. Can't fault him for that after thinking about it.

At the end of the day.. Everyone could see he wasn't ready. He should have taken more time. Especially since his training didn't matter at all because he decided to throw all tactics out the window within 2 seconds.

My thoughts exactly lol. I didn't know entertainers' responsibilities were akin to caregivers.
Might not have been the best example but I just used it because it relates to me. It's a contract like situation which I honour dearly.

Hearing more about this staph infection is changing my opinion on Punk though. I'm trying to match the timeline.

And let me tell you - caregivers or whatever ... At the end of the day it's all about money. That's why there are strikes and thats why company decisions almost universally put money above care. I worked in a Nursing Home and they wouldn't pay OT no matter the circumstances. Three or four people short? **** it. $$$$$. That's why I switched to a similar but far different field.

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I would do it. But I'd do it right and earn my spot. Not do to MMA fighters exactly what I *****ed about guys like the Rock doing to wrestlers like a hypocrite.

Wrestling fans like you don't care though so long as your boy gets whatever he wants.

Clearly you didn't watch the post-fight presser when Punk said his intention was to always fight at the lowest level because he just wanted to fight and Dana White gave him the offer to fight in the UFC. So instead of *****ing about Punk jumping at an opportunity that he would have been stupid to turn down, ***** at the UFC and Dana White for giving a guy with no pro fights or even real training under his belt a contract to fight.

As for your last comment - that's rich coming from you.

I didn't expect him to go on forever. But he could have given notice or given his fans a proper goodbye. He could have finished his feud with one more appearance. That's just how I think respect works. I feel like respect is something you show to everyone else. My example was extremely ridiculous but this pro wrestling. :P

As far as the infection goes - I don't know much about that. Had it been settled? If that's 100% correct from what I just read - I take what I said about him leaving back assuming he quit fairly soon after. He's health is most important. And I'll feel bad for bad talking him.

I'm not bitter. Was never a huge Punk fan. Mostly, I thought if this was his dream he should do it right. Figured he did it for a payday. I'm seeing the money amount is pretty small (if accurate - which contradicts Punk's comment to Gall a week ago). And if I'm honest, if the Habs or WWE offered me the chance to suit up ... I would too. Can't fault him for that after thinking about it.

At the end of the day.. Everyone could see he wasn't ready. He should have taken more time. Especially since his training didn't matter at all because he decided to throw all tactics out the window within 2 seconds.

Respect is nothing if the company you work for doesn't respect you enough to care about your health, want you to work when you know you have a concussion, fill you up with Z-Paks and antibiotics to the point you **** yourself in the middle of the ring. He was miserable as **** with the company. You have to put yourself first and YOU should know that when your heart isn't in it, you put your own body and your opponent at serious risk of injury.

As for the infection, he only got it treated after he left the company since they were insistent on him working and not doing anything other than giving him Z-Paks for it. It was building for months and became full blown MRSA.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
How's it different? I work to make money just like everyone else. I'd never do that in a million years, but in my mind the principal is the same. If I ever signed a contract, I'd honor it. I'd respect the people who helped me get to where I am.

Good lord dude...

If you don't understand the difference between leaving disabled people to have to fend for themselves, and walking away from a company were at worst the most damage you're doing is hurting a few fans feelings, then I'm sorry I don't think I can help you.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country

Might not have been the best example but I just used it because it relates to me. It's a contract like situation which I honour dearly.

Hearing more about this staph infection is changing my opinion on Punk though. I'm trying to match the timeline.

And let me tell you - caregivers or whatever ... At the end of the day it's all about money. That's why there are strikes and thats why company decisions almost universally put money above care. I worked in a Nursing Home and they wouldn't pay OT no matter the circumstances. Three or four people short? **** it. $$$$$. That's why I switched to a similar but far different field.

Uh, He had a life threatening illness and the WWE kept insisting he work 300 days a year, while their in house doctor said it was nothing.
A real doctor diagnosed in seconds that it was a life threatening illness.

He no showed a shift and they suspended him, then fired him.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Respect is nothing if the company you work for doesn't respect you enough to care about your health, want you to work when you know you have a concussion, fill you up with Z-Paks and antibiotics to the point you **** yourself in the middle of the ring. He was miserable as **** with the company. You have to put yourself first and YOU should know that when your heart isn't in it, you put your own body and your opponent at serious risk of injury.

As for the infection, he only got it treated after he left the company since they were insistent on him working and not doing anything other than giving him Z-Paks for it. It was building for months and became full blown MRSA.
I've worked for companies that don't respect their workers. That's 90% of companies. But I respect my co-workers and my clients (fans). Whether my heart is in it or not, I can do it for another week or two to help them.

However it's all moot with this staph infection stuff. I didn't know much about it. And I'd have quit immediately too.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Miocic's next fight will be Cain.

And calling Miocic, one of the biggest HW fighters in the world is overdone. Or at the very least premature.

For the time, he fought 2 times for the title. 1) Werdum ... who was an accident of Cain not being too smart 2) Yesterday, the Reem was 1/2 Reem ... don't know why but i never saw him so disorganized. A normal Reem would have upercuted him 5 times when Miocic went on the floor or would have lighten him up when Miocic stood up again and was weak on the knees.

Technically he has room to improve ... he is a natural beast ... but his chin doesn't impress me beyond reasonability.

Last edited:

RoadDoggFL

Mar 15, 2007
New Orleans, LA
rvb.roosterteeth.com
I have nothing to back it up, but I feel like Reem got hurt/rocket/KO'ed recently in camp and was spooked by it. Never seen him fight like that, and it would've been hard to consider him a champion if he won it a fight acting how he did.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

And calling Miocic, one of the biggest HW fighters in the world is overdone. Or at the very least premature.

For the time, he fought 2 times for the title. 1) Werdum ... who was an accident of Cain not being too smart 2) Yesterday, the Reem was 1/2 Reem ... don't know why but i never saw him so disorganized. A normal Reem would have upercuted him 5 times when Miocic went on the floor or would have lighten him up when Miocic stood up again and was weak on the knees.

Technically he has room to improve ... he is a natural beast ... but his chin doesn't impress me beyond reasonability.

Don't be that guy. Suppose you think Weidman wasn't a legit champ either. Miocic has knocked out Arlovski/Werdum/Overeem. And took JDS to the brink (imo he won that fight), how the **** is that not him being one of the best in the world. Overeem wasn't himself because he got rocked. With your logic, there are NO top HW's in the world.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
I would do it. But I'd do it right and earn my spot. Not do to MMA fighters exactly what I *****ed about guys like the Rock doing to wrestlers like a hypocrite.

Wrestling fans like you don't care though so long as your boy gets whatever he wants.
Liar. If Dana White offered you a 7-figure payday to catch a beating in the UFC, you'd turn it down and take a $200 payday in XFO? That is nonsense.

Do you know why nobody spars Chute Box-style in training anymore? Because taking beatings for free isn't worth it. Punk is 37. He should spend 4 years fighting in small shows, building up a 6-0 record before he takes a shot at a big payday? Nonsense.

Seriously, everybody, shut the **** up about "what I would do" ... it's nonsense. It's absolute nonsense.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Don't be that guy. Suppose you think Weidman wasn't a legit champ either. Miocic has knocked out Arlovski/Werdum/Overeem. And took JDS to the brink (imo he won that fight), how the **** is that not him being one of the best in the world. Overeem wasn't himself because he got rocked. With your logic, there are NO top HW's in the world.

You are right, i made a confusion ... between being a top HW in the world and Being one of the best HW EVER in the world. ! my bad.

He is one of the bests presently ... no question.

To say that he will be one of the best ever ... is premature ;-)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So who the heck is next for Stipe? Heavyweight is such a gong show. These guys all hit too hard. Barely anyone can win more than a fight or two in a row.

I mean... I guess Cain or JDS?

I think Cain is the only correct answer to this question. He has to get the next shot.

JDS should fight Werdum next.

Plenty of options for Overeem. Barnett or Hunt would be good. A rematch against someone like Rothwell could work as well.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I don't know why anyone is crapping on Overeem for the way he fought. He's been fighting like this and made his way to the title shot ever since he was getting KO'd by the likes of Big Foot and Browne. He had no choice but to change his style.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
You are right, i made a confusion ... between being a top HW in the world and Being one of the best HW EVER in the world. ! my bad.

He is one of the bests presently ... no question.

To say that he will be one of the best ever ... is premature ;-)

I don't think anyone said that, I said if he beats Cain or JDS his name will be up there

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
So who the heck is next for Stipe? Heavyweight is such a gong show. These guys all hit too hard. Barely anyone can win more than a fight or two in a row.

I mean... I guess Cain or JDS?

Cain ... very clearly ... he was the former nber 1 and was the only one finishing his fight in a truly convincing manner.

JDS is 3-3 in his last 6 fights ... and the last win is against Rothwell. Respect but that doesn't deserve a title shot. The only point is that he beat Miocic some fights ago.

UFC was keeping options open in case someone was hurt with like 1year to recover with Werdum, Cain and the champ. Miocic. The thing is clear, Miocic is not hurt, Werdum was booed at the end of the fight and was really not convincing and Cain was VERY convincing.

(imo Werdum is a underdog fighter ... with his jiujitsu he will beat guys being an underdog ... i never saw him fight like a champion as a leader against a valuable fighter)

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
He was running scared before he got rocked...

He wanted nothing to do with Miocic's hands, especially in tight. He's been fighting like this for awhile. The only difference is Stipe actively chased him instead of letting him get away and reset

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I don't know why anyone is crapping on Overeem for the way he fought. He's been fighting like this and made his way to the title shot ever since he was getting KO'd by the likes of Big Foot and Browne. He had no choice but to change his style.

Yup. Jackson has him fighting the smart way now. It's a bad look when he's turning his back and almost sprinting the other way but whatever it takes. He still took big shots and got put to sleep but I don't think that was a gameplan problem, that was a Stipe problem.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Just watched the Gall/Punk and Miocic/Overeem fights. Wow. Surprised to see Punk blow his load so quickly and rush like that. Curious to see where he goes from here. I don't understand the hate in this thread, at least not yet. If Punk is retired 6 months from now, OK, fine, freak show, but if he sticks around and does this again, or better yet, he goes and takes a smaller fight elsewhere, shows some skill progression, I have mad respect for that.

The hate is justified imo, I have no issues with him trying out MMA, but we're talking about a guy who has no martial arts background and he jumps right away in a main UFC card with a record of 0-0 just because he's a famous pro wrestler. It is a freak show celebrity fight that takes away from the sport. People would laugh if say instead of Punk, we have Ashton Kutcher fighting, and unlike Punk, Ashton has a BJJ black belt.

I get that coming from pro wrestling people get interested to see how these guys do, but at least have some legit martial arts background, and also try somewhere small before getting to the big show. Take Brock for example, putting his freak of nature size and strength aside, the guy was a decorated amateur all American wrestler before doing pro wrestling, with that background his transition to MMA made perfect sense, and even he fought one match somewhere else before convincing the UFC.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The hate is justified imo, I have no issues with him trying out MMA, but we're talking about a guy who has no martial arts background and he jumps right away in a main UFC card with a record of 0-0 just because he's a famous pro wrestler. It is a freak show celebrity fight that takes away from the sport. People would laugh if say instead of Punk, we have Ashton Kutcher fighting, and unlike Punk, Ashton has a BJJ black belt.

I get that coming from pro wrestling people get interested to see how these guys do, but at least have some legit martial arts background, and also try somewhere small before getting to the big show. Take Brock for example, putting his freak of nature size and strength aside, the guy was a decorated amateur all American wrestler before doing pro wrestling, with that background his transition to MMA made perfect sense, and even he fought one match somewhere else before convincing the UFC.

But why get mad at Punk? For taking an offer he would've been stupid to turn down? He said flat out that he had always planned to fight at the lowest ranks, it was the UFC that approached him. ***** at them.

Man for all the "hardcore" mma fans who gush about Pride, they sure hate when modern organizations do Pride style circus fights :laugh:

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
But why get mad at Punk? For taking an offer he would've been stupid to turn down? He said flat out that he had always planned to fight at the lowest ranks, it was the UFC that approached him. ***** at them.

Man for all the "hardcore" mma fans who gush about Pride, they sure hate when modern organizations do Pride style circus fights :laugh:

I don't blame Punk, I blame the UFC, that's where all the hate should be directed toward.

RonFournier

Dec 17, 2006
At last we'll see the Velasquez vs Miocic fight, I've been waiting for this one for so long.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI

This is pure BS. This isn't 2011. Werdum has an all time resume at HW and worked Cain like a punching bag. Overeem has wear and tear on him now. That's the fighter he is and he lost.

Also, since when is Reem an inside fighter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad