GDT: UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Bisping 2

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Anybody catch the end of the press conference, the UFC stream cutoff but Karen Brynt's stream kept rolling you could see Bisping and Rockhold going at it.

I think Bisping called him a fagot and then he said please cut the part out lol

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bisping has been champ for like an hour and he's already getting close to being insufferable again. :laugh:

Rockhold was pretty much the same way though since he became champion so he'll have to take it for a while. He's a great fighter and he'll be back. Not to take anything away from Bisping's win because it was great but Rockhold didn't respect him and went in there expecting to walk right through him. It cost him big time.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
"Rockhold has this air of invincibility mentally right now as well. Never more confident."

*4 seconds later*

"OH HE GOT ROCKED!"

+1 for Rogan dropping an S-bomb.

Good fight, good card.

Oct 15, 2008
Has Hunt been confirmed? He seems to make the most sense Mir is retired/suspended, Overeem is fighting Miocic, Cain is fighting Browne...I think Arlovski and Werdum both coming off knock outs medical suspensions?

Don't know who else is out the there JDS?

Heath Herring.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Ariel Helwani says the UFC removed him from the building, took his credential, and banned him for life.

Pretty pathetic on their part if it's all because he did his job and broke the Lesnar news before the promo aired.

Wow. Josh Gross 2.0.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Anybody catch the end of the press conference, the UFC stream cutoff but Karen Brynt's stream kept rolling you could see Bisping and Rockhold going at it.

I think Bisping called him a fagot and then he said please cut the part out lol

Hopefully it results in a non-trivial fine donated to an LBGT cause and some sensitivity training.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Rogan summed it up perfectly, Holy *****. Didn't think Bisping had a chance in a million years. I think Rockhold came in overconfident. Rogan pointed it out very early that Rockhold had his chin up from the go. Sure seemed like he thought he could beat Bisping whenever/however he wanted. I'm not a huge Bisping fan but given his long career and everything he's put into the sport it was kinda cool seeing him win the belt.

Cannot believe the Hendo fight. Wow. I really thought Lombard was going to retire him. Hendo has the most absolutely ridiculous power. When he lands his big shots it just seems different than when most other guys do.

Faber/Cruz was as expected, but FAR more lopsided. Cruz put a real whooping on him. I figured he'd take a decision, but not that decisively. I'll never understand why guys don't go out guns blazing in that 5th round when they know they have to finish to win.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Not a Bisping fan but glad he finally got the belt after all those close calls.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
I hate bisbing and thought he was going to get SMOKED. Boy, was I wrong.

Gotta give him props on that post fight interview with rogan there in the ring. Really enjoyed seeing that

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
I love this. I was hoping Bisping would win just to see how mad it would make everybody, so I'm pretty surprised to see everybody else happy for Bisping too. Do people just hate Rockhold that much?

I don't know if Bisping plays the heel on purpose or if he's just an arrogant jerk being himself. I do think he's a guy who has been a good company man for UFC, never backed out of fights or missed weight, always tried his best to promote fights and put butts in seats, and all that kind of stuff. The kind of fighters Dana White likes having in the organization. He seemed to always win fights that didn't mean anything, and come up short in fights that mattered... it's nice to see him finally win a big one.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Do people just hate Rockhold that much?

Yes I think so. I'm in no way a Bisping fan, Hendo knocking him out cold is probably one of my favorite UFC memories, but Rockhold is a whiny *********, so I was very pleased to see Bisping finish him. I gotta admit, it was nice to see Bisping rewarded after all the years he's put in for the UFC, he always shows up, ready to fight.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Rockhold doing his best impression of Anderson Silva that match, I hate when fighters do that. I hated it when McGregor did it against Diaz, and I love McGregor.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Yes I think so. I'm in no way a Bisping fan, Hendo knocking him out cold is probably one of my favorite UFC memories, but Rockhold is a whiny *********, so I was very pleased to see Bisping finish him. I gotta admit, it was nice to see Bisping rewarded after all the years he's put in for the UFC, he always shows up, ready to fight.

Mine too but with that said Bisping has done an excellent job of turn his reputation around...he's now one of the most likable fighters out there and has admitted he was a ****** bag back then.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
What a great card. Most everything from the prelims to the main event was fantastic. Happy to see Bisping with the belt - finally.

member 51464

Pretty cool for it to go down while I am visiting the UK. Not that many here gave a ****, ha.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I was definitely wrong on this card being a snoozer. A few fights went as expected, but there was some more fun stuff all over.

I thought the Fight Pass prelims weren't great at all, though I missed the first fight. Breese/Strickland was pretty boring.

I thought Cacares looked awesome. Got a little sloppy in round 3, but he basically toyed with a pretty decent fighter in Cole Miller for over 10 minutes. After TUF I would have never though "Bruce Leeroy" would still around the UFC, much less actually develop into a pretty good fighter. He'll never be a champ, but he's fun to watch and has improved so, so much.

Andrade looked great, just trashed Penne. She could be a really big thread at 115.

Good wins for Dariush and Ortega. I'm still trying to figure out exactly where to place this guys in their divisions, I'd like to see fights against very established guys next so that we can put things in perspective. I know Guida's established, but he's a bit of a shell of his former self.

Poirer looked great. This was really a fight I had no clue on, so I'm glad he had a good finish.

I think I mentioned before hand that while everyone was big on Lombard over Henderson, I thought it would be a much closer fight. I just haven't been sold on Lombard in the UFC, he's looked consistently poor. Big muscles and big record fighting cans in other promotions might win over fans online, but it's certainly not helping him win fights. Just an awesome KO by Henderson too. It would be great if he called it a career now, but he must look at Bisping winning the belt and wondering if he could still put 2 or 3 wins together and get in the mix.

Holloway did the expected, not much to add here. If Conor isn't at 145 next, then the next shot is his. Very interested to see how he does against Edgar or Aldo.

Speaking of expected, Cruz took care of Faber rather easily. That should bring an end to that rivalry. I think there's a better chance that Faber retires and makes amends with Dillashaw than there is he actually fights him.

As for Bisping, what can you say? I don't know anyone who picked Bisping, or even gave him a chance. There were some rumors floating last week that he really was in the best shape of his life because of this short camp and had added some muscle because he didn't have so many long sessions. I have no idea what to attribute it to, but it was nice to see him win that title. The weird thing is.. I don't mind the matchup with Jacare that much for him if that's what's next. I like it better than Weidman or Rockhold. It will be interesting what they do.

Great night of fights when you add the announcements on there. Obviously the Helwani news got some people worked up, but I don't really care about that kind of stuff. The MMA community has always had this weird energy about caring way too much about other people's jobs.. whether it's fighter pay, journalist credentials, whatever. I don't know where it all comes from, I guess it's the years of MMA being a second-level sport has given everyone a complex.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I was pretty neutral on Rockhold as a personality and impressed by his performance in his title win. Then later on the press tour for the rematch (before it was called off) he started taunting Weidman about him having a family, which was bizarre. There is trash-talk at times when promoting a fight and then there is being an jerk.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Luke Rockhold acts like a moody teenager. I imagine him punching air and listening to Linkin Park in his room.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I liked Rockhold up until the Weidman build up, where he came off as a real ******. Than he got the title and it reached unbearable levels, him and DC have that in common.

One thing I've noticed about Bisping, say what you want about Conor, but Bisping IS the bet talker in the game. Conor is more sauce with his accent, but you can tell he has to pause and think and his lines come out sounding rehearsed. Whereas Bisping can grab a mic anytime anywhere and just tear someone to pieces nonstop. Never really liked the guy, but happy he got his Cinderella story, now time for Weidman to snatch that belt back ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad