UFA's Leafs might want?

Hymanbrah

Goin' In
Apr 8, 2007
Offer Sheet Monahan. to a avg 3.5, would only give up a 2nd round pick if we get him.

I can only assume you're joking here. Why would Monahan sign such a wimpy offer sheet? The Flames would be giddy at that and easily match. He's getting more than $3.5 per. You might as well offer him $20 and half a turkey sandwich.

UllmansTiger

May 27, 2012
If we land Nikita Zaitsev and Jimmy Vesey are the two free agents I want the most.

Pretty much. There are some others that could be useful for less ufa dollars too, David Schlemko, Matt Martin, Michael Raffl, Dale Weise... Fleischmann... they don't need to load up on ufas but they should be spending wisely with the core they have and remain focused on the long term.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That would be funny. Just to see how insane the offer sheet would have to be that Edmonton would even remotely consider taking 4x 1st round picks over matching it.

I would guess it would have to be the max possible...

7 years at 20% of the cap ceiling (so maybe assume $75M cap max, that's $15M/year).

Yeah, I think that Edmonton would match that without batting an eyelash.

Unless there were more injuries over the next couple years...

I wonder if you could ever front load the offer sheet, so that if you offered McDavid $105 million over 7 years that you pay him $99 million the first season and $1 million in actual dollars the last 6, or something financially cripping.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I wonder if you could ever front load the offer sheet, so that if you offered McDavid $105 million over 7 years that you pay him $99 million the first season and $1 million in actual dollars the last 6, or something financially cripping.
CBA regulations - lowest salary year of a contract can only be as low as 50% of the highest year.

So no more front loading contracts.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
CBA regulations - lowest salary year of a contract can only be as low as 50% of the highest year.

So no more front loading contracts.

that rule is actually only true for front loaded contract. You can actually backload one, but the increase can only be equal to the lower of the first 2 years.

So you could do something like 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 still

That's completely useless info here since the guy you quoted wanted to front load, but just figured I'd clarify the actual rule.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
If nothing else, if the opportunity arises to offersheet McDavid, it would be worth it to try and increase what Edmonton hope to pay when they'll likely be competing alongside in the play-off picture, and probably for the same calibre players.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Vesey is one that it looks like we have a good shot at, he would be a nice addition. I agree that Boedker would be a huge add as well.

Jimmy Vesey (Harvard NCAA) and Zaitsev (KHL) are a couple of players I could see signed by the Toronto and perhaps be in Leafs line-up next year at some point.

Along with Stamkos (if available) will players Leafs have strong interest in.

randym1

Dec 29, 2013
leafs have to stick to rebuild. but with that said stamkos isnt to old 7 years would only make him in his mid 30's when contract up. not often a star with youth is available in todays nhl.
So Stamkos for sure and i'd go after Boedker,gagner,up front Kevin Miller on back end and Reimer best of bunch still in goal.For some reason i'd try for Nielsen from the ilses as well for experience.
As for rfa's go for Killorn,Hoffman,Lowry,Trouba and Barrie. I'm not saying all of them but any would help as they fit the rebuild.Some of those teams have cap trouble others have self imposed cap limits. Of course the compensation would dictate who to target as the higher the contract the more draft assets going the other way.

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario
I'd like to see Chris Stewart get a look, local kid, who has injury problems. I don't think the Leafs will expect him to drop the gloves as much as he's had to recently or be a complete bruiser. I think he could possibly change up his game enough to stay healthy and contribute for a fair if not cheap price.

Eric Staal, I think for a certain price, 6.5 being the ceiling on a 2-3 year deal. I think he would be a great player for the team, experienced and all that. But on a 2-3 year deal he'd be gone by the time the first wave of prospects have to be resigned. He'd do it right and be a great Leaf.

Matt Martin from the Isles and Casey Czikis.

Darren Helm from Detroit.

Jiri Hudler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad