UFA's Leafs might want?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Shattenkirk would have 1 more year on his contract, and then will be getting a huge raise, with term

You get permission from the club to speak with his agent to get a long term deal completed before you trade for him, same is likely to happen with Kadri. Sign a trade likely to become the norm just like NBA.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Re: Shattenkirk

Is there an injury history there? Just wondering why he's only had two seasons over 60 games thus far?

If we're going to attempt to sign and lock-up a key d-man for some of his better years on what would be a big cap hit, I think we can't afford to take risks on someone with a suspect fitness history.

Reliability and consistency is absolutely vital.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
At this point in the teams development we have almost\have moved out all the overpaying contract that we can and its time to look for more than just stopgap personnel. Someone young enough to trade for but old enough that its clear what we'd be getting. With the youth coming up next year we need to start showing a progression upwards in the standings.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I think there's a good shot that Andrew Nielson and Travis Dermott are part of the D by the time we are serious about contending.

We probably need to identify a legit #1 guy and have the rest covered...not easy to do, I know.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
i think there's a good shot that andrew nielson and travis dermott are part of the d by the time we are serious about contending.

We probably need to identify a legit #1 guy and have the rest covered...not easy to do, i know.

It would be nice to get a top 5 list of UFA's by position. Centre, D, Wing(not that wing should be our focus - too many prospects there now)

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Why is everyone obsessed with getting an offensive defenceman? Shattenkirk? really?

I would love to get a guy like Shattenkirk because he can easily play in the top 4, he can skate, move the puck and put up points. Put him on the 2nd pairing and find a partner for Morgan.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
If anyone gets bought out, they're probably worth giving a shot to.

Bickle at 4M is terrible. Bickle at 1.1M is worth taking a chance on.

Anyone else expected to be bought out?

Penguins fan coming in peace

Alexander Semin and Christian Erhoff are both players that received compliance buyouts, yet remained in the NHL on cheap deals. Both cleared waivers this year. I don't think this would be a wise way to acquire talent, IMO.

Tigerarmy

Aug 1, 2011

Alexander Semin and Christian Erhoff are both players that received compliance buyouts, yet remained in the NHL on cheap deals. Both cleared waivers this year. I don't think this would be a wise way to acquire talent, IMO.

If I were you guys I wouldn't be looking top 5 or the top free agents. Unless Stamkos becomes a UFA see them doing exactly what they did last year. Sign character vets with leadership that are limited talent wise that will come cheap that they can surround the kids with at low money and for a year or two. Remember everyone was concerned with their size drafting wise last year. They can keep drafting skill and add size and leadership through free agency and trade

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

Yeah, it's crazy to watch how quickly their games declined.

You could also include Cody Hodgson, Vinny Lecavalier and Ville Leino to that group.

Bickell and Leino were the beneficiary of a really strong playoff run. Then they cashed in.

Semin could score and teams always want to take a shot with guys that can put the puck away.

It has become a very young league and finding the right vets that can compete and lead is crucial.

I believe the reason that people on here wanted to take on Bickell was if the Leafs were getting a prospect in return that the Leafs could add to the prospect pool.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would love to get a guy like Shattenkirk because he can easily play in the top 4, he can skate, move the puck and put up points. Put him on the 2nd pairing and find a partner for Morgan.

If we get Shattenkirk, I wonder what you do with Gardiner?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
It'll really depend on who they have to lose in order to acquire a top 4 defenceman to fill the void left by Phaneuf.

Right now, they've got practical commitments to 10 forwards -- Kadri, Bozak, JvR, Komarov, Lupul, Michalek, Winnik, Nylander, Marner, and Kapanen. If you assume they're all here next year, that basically leaves 3-4 spots near the bottom of the lineup.

I'd say there's less than a 0.01% chance (1/10,000) that Marner is on the team next year. Nylander yes. Kapanen? I don't think so personally but could see it. He'd have to really impress at camp and beat out others like Andreas Johnson, Brendan Leipsic, and others.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
I'd say there's less than a 0.01% chance (1/10,000) that Marner is on the team next year. Nylander yes. Kapanen? I don't think so personally but could see it. He'd have to really impress at camp and beat out others like Andreas Johnson, Brendan Leipsic, and others.

Really... 0.01% chance? I personally don't think he'll be completely ready physically, but there is no way you can send him back to junior for another year. Unless your suggesting sending him to europe?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Nikita Zaitsev and Jimmy Vesey are the two free agents I want the most.

Last edited:

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
If we get Shattenkirk, I wonder what you do with Gardiner?

If you get Shattenkirk, you've found a true partner for Rielly.

As much as Hunwick has done everything asked of him this year, you can't expect him to do that on a consistent basis.

I would think that the Leafs need to find themselves a solid veteran defenceman that can stable them.

Someone similar to Robidas, but with more skill and a bit younger.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Offer Sheet Monahan. to a avg 3.5, would only give up a 2nd round pick if we get him.

In 3 year offer sheet McDavid to the max, I'd do McDavid for 4 first round picks, he'll make them all in the 20's

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2004
It's doable. If this team can add Stamkos AND Boedker on top of adding Nylander and Marner upfront, with Brown and Kapanen not far behind... it should very fun to watch at least.

The defense core is fairly bad though. They really need to upgrade on Hunwick and they desperately need a top 4 RHD. For those reasons, I don't think Boedker is really someone we should spend 5M+ on, which is what I'm sure a team will par for long-term.

Leave Boedker alone, offer sheet Seth Jones (assuming he's actually good).

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Never offer sheet anyone unless it's for McDavid.

That would be funny. Just to see how insane the offer sheet would have to be that Edmonton would even remotely consider taking 4x 1st round picks over matching it.

I would guess it would have to be the max possible...

7 years at 20% of the cap ceiling (so maybe assume $75M cap max, that's $15M/year).

Yeah, I think that Edmonton would match that without batting an eyelash.

Unless there were more injuries over the next couple years...

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Offer Sheet Monahan. to a avg 3.5, would only give up a 2nd round pick if we get him.

In 3 year offer sheet McDavid to the max, I'd do McDavid for 4 first round picks, he'll make them all in the 20's

Um... what?

You are aware that the opposing team gets the option of matching the offer and if they do they sign the player at that contract.

If you try to offer sheet Monahan at $3.5M that's doing Calgary a huge favour because they probably can't get that done on their own.

And what's more, the player actually has to agree to the offer sheet first before the team has to decide if they match it.

So there is no way Monahan would accept a $3.5M offer sheet when he would expect way more from the team that holds his rights to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad