Speculation: UFA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
One of the major needs of this team is a middle pairing D to partner with Klein. My likes from that list provided in the OP (in no order):

Streit
Hainsey
Babchuk
Rozsival (cheap?)

...and that's about all. We may need a trade for a D.

Webersmashpuck

Mar 17, 2009
Spring Hill
For defense the only guy that is available that I would take would be Streit and he won't come here. I would take Bartley on the 2nd pair over everyone else. A trade may work.

For Vanek, we would have to do something like Bourque, Watson, Ellis and 1st next year if we didn't want to give up a Wilson, Forsberg or our 1st. A deal like that would kill our depth. I would kick the tires because maybe Buffalo thinks Kostitsyn and Smith are 70 point players in their system, but it would be difficult to get Vanek.

For UFAs, maybe try for Bozak or Filppula though them at 5m is laughable so we need to get them cheaper. One of Chicagos two forwards, either Bickell or Stalberg might be available and would work. That is about it.

Horton is another Lombardi situation waiting to happen so I would pass there. Everyone else would not be a good fit or likely will sign elsewhere.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
For defense the only guy that is available that I would take would be Streit and he won't come here. I would take Bartley on the 2nd pair over everyone else. A trade may work.

For Vanek, we would have to do something like Bourque, Watson, Ellis and 1st next year if we didn't want to give up a Wilson, Forsberg or our 1st. A deal like that would kill our depth. I would kick the tires because maybe Buffalo thinks Kostitsyn and Smith are 70 point players in their system, but it would be difficult to get Vanek.

For UFAs, maybe try for Bozak or Filppula though them at 5m is laughable so we need to get them cheaper. One of Chicagos two forwards, either Bickell or Stalberg might be available and would work. That is about it.

Horton is another Lombardi situation waiting to happen so I would pass there. Everyone else would not be a good fit or likely will sign elsewhere.
I don't think it would take all of Bourque, Watson, Ellis, and a 1st, but I could see it taking 3 pieces like that, with the 1st being a given.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com

Bartley isn't a full-year second pair defenseman. That became evident as the season went on.

Webersmashpuck

Mar 17, 2009
Spring Hill
Bartley isn't a full-year second pair defenseman. That became evident as the season went on.

Yeah but he is better than the UFAs. Zidlicky, Rosival, Corvo, and Whitney are some of the defensemen at the top of the class and they are terrible. I would rather give the time to a rookie who may one day be a true 2nd pairing defenseman than those bums.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
I'd definitely deal Wilson for Vanek. The kid has shown flashes of what he could be, but he has yet to put it all together. Unproven < proven in this case.
Vanek has said the reason he wants out of Buffalo is because they are in rebuilding mode. Why would he be excited to come to Nashville and sign an extension?

We can not risk squandering assets for what will likely be a 1-yr rental with Vanek. We've taken that risk too many times with impending free agents (Suter, Hamhuis, Forsberg, Gaustaud, Witt, to name a few) with little-to-nothing to show for it. It's a big reason why we are where we are. Can't risk it again.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
On D I would love to land Ference. He would pair really well with Klein.

The forward that will most likely be available and I think would be better with more minutes would be Stalberg.

I think those two would go a long way in helping our team get better fast.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
Surprised nobody has pointed out Derek Roy, he's a UFA and can be signed somewhere in the 4-5 mil per year spot and would be that #1 C we've all desperately craved for years.

What about Stephen Weiss, I'm sure it wouldn't take that much to wrestle him away from the (even worse than us) Panthers. He could easily be a 1-2 line C.

As for D selections

Ian White is available on the cheap I'm sure and we know he's put up minutes against us and is a good D-man. He would thrive under the tutoring of our Veteran D core.

ADD MORE LATER got to run.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Is Stephen Weiss an upgrade over Fisher or Legwand?
Maybe by a tad, but not much.

I'd go for Staalberg too given our options. He's never gotten a true crack at a scoringline. With Weiss you know what you are getting.. with Staalberg there maybe some untapped potential.

And Horton. Although not perfect, we need guys that put pucks in the net. God willing, hopefully someone will take SK,Guastad & Gill off our hands to clear salary.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Said it before and I'll say it again: Whether Weiss is a huge upgrade or not, the point is that adding a guy like Weiss means we have 3 centers on that level, even if you think he isn't an upgrade. Nothing wrong with having more depth and being harder to match up with. We can never have too many 50 point guys.

Not to mention we could move Leggy to wing, which I've been advocating for years.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Said it before and I'll say it again: Whether Weiss is a huge upgrade or not, the point is that adding a guy like Weiss means we have 3 centers on that level, even if you think he isn't an upgrade. Nothing wrong with having more depth and being harder to match up with. We can never have too many 50 point guys.

Not to mention we could move Leggy to wing, which I've been advocating for years.

Completely agree

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
So adding Weiss is a good idea because 3 #3 centers is better than 2 #3 centers?

Sorry, on a team where every penny counts, adding another defensive-oriented center in a steady offensive decline isn't a good idea.

Factor in that in the likely event Barkov is the guy we draft, that's another center on the roster.

It's wing where we're thin, given that Bourque\Beck\Kostitsyn are all question marks in the top six.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Either Weiss or Roy would help but neither are top line centers per say. The thing is you are not going to get one of those through free agency and if by chance one makes it there it will cost way more than the Predators would pay.

I am still just hoping we can land Stalberg somehow. He played really well last night. Given more ice time he could be really good.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Weiss is not a 3rd line center.

Also, as I've said, I think we should move Legwand to wing.

Legwand is too good at faceoffs, and too good defensively to move to the wing.

If Weiss is not a 3rd line center, then at best, as with Fisher and Legwand, he's a #2. I just don't see the real upside of signing yet another #2/#3, over-30, center. If we bring in Weiss, it is only as a replacement for Fisher or Legwand, not an addition to, and I feel like the organization has already made the choice to go with the latter two.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I would rather throw Watson on the top line 18 minutes a night than have an injury prone Weiss doing it. And I would make a moentary bet that Watson would outproduce him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad