Speculation: UFA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
It's important to keep in mind the disconnect between what fans are willing to offer and what GMs are willing to offer, and between what fans want in return and what GMs can get in return. I trust the trade forum for accurate analysis of a player's value about as much as I trust my mom when she tells me I'm a handsome man.
I trust the general trade forum in terms of value more than the team boards, though in reality, the actual value is somewhere in between. It won't take Josi/Forsberg, Wilson and a 1st, but it's not going to happen for Blum/Ellis, Beck, and a 3rd either.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
It's important to keep in mind the disconnect between what fans are willing to offer and what GMs are willing to offer, and between what fans want in return and what GMs can get in return. I trust the trade forum for accurate analysis of a player's value about as much as I trust my mom when she tells me I'm a handsome man.

Look at the return Gaborik got. Or Nash, in a pretty limited market.

Vanek wouldn't come cheap. No "Ellis or Blum, Sergei Kostitsyn, our 3rd" that Preds fans are always trying to pass off as a valuable package.

Preddownsouth

Feb 20, 2013
Look at the return Gaborik got. Or Nash, in a pretty limited market.

Vanek wouldn't come cheap. No "Ellis or Blum, Sergei Kostitsyn, our 3rd" that Preds fans are always trying to pass off as a valuable package.

Gaborik is an interesting comparison. He is UFA after next season, making 7.5 million. 31 years old, 27 pts in 48 games this year, 76 pts last full season. He was traded for Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett, John Moore plus a 6th rd pick in the 2014 draft.

Vanek, 29 years old, is UFA after next season, 7.1 cap, 6.4 million in salary. 41 pts this season, 61 pts last full season.

They look fairly comparable - Vanek is a little younger. But I certainly can see Poile giving up similiar assets to get him like Columbus gave up for Gaborik.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Gaborik is an interesting comparison. He is UFA after next season, making 7.5 million. 31 years old, 27 pts in 48 games this year, 76 pts last full season. He was traded for Derick Brassard, Derek Dorsett, John Moore plus a 6th rd pick in the 2014 draft.

Vanek, 29 years old, is UFA after next season, 7.1 cap, 6.4 million in salary. 41 pts this season, 61 pts last full season.

They look fairly comparable - Vanek is a little younger. But I certainly can see Poile giving up similiar assets to get him like Columbus gave up for Gaborik.
The main reason Gaborik was traded was because he was struggling. Vanek will very likely get more, and 2yrs younger is a big thing as well. Especially when it looks Gaborik is slowing down after 30.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN

You mean I'm not a handsome man? :(

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Vanek would be great and all, but I don't see Buffalo making a deal that doesn't include one of: our first this year, Colin Wilson, Filip Forsberg

depends on whether Vanek has indicated that he wants out, as well as whether they have decided to rebuild and how long they anticipate that rebuild taking.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Vanek is a pipe dream. There is nothing that we can offer that doesn't hurt our youth movement. The only way it happens is if we negotiate an extension with Vanek before the trade but if we don't, there's no reason to trade away prospects for a guy that will be here for a year.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Last month, a source close to the situation told TFP that Vanek would not sign an extension with the Sabres and is likely to walk as a free agent following the 2013-14 season.

Understanding the team's current state, and that Miller is expected to be dealt this off-season, Vanek is open to the idea of being traded this summer if the opportunity presented itself.

"Let's be honest. I'm not stupid. I know I have a year left and they can probably deal me for prospects, young guys, whatever else is out there," Vanek told the Buffalo News this weekend. "Yeah, I've thought about it. If it looks like it's a long rebuild, then it probably makes sense for both parties to move on."

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/buf130429.html

Sounds like he's ready to move on.

I agree though, doubt we get him. I was just throwing out an example.

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA
I'd like to add Ron Hainsey to our D-core if he'll take a step back on salary. Otherwise, the UFA field for this offseason is pretty meh.

I know they are RFA but what about Bogosian from Winnipeg or Shattenkirk from St.Louis? Both are cheaper than Hainsey.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
not without a contract extension.

if he's signed for 5 years, then yeah, I'd have to do it, but if he's one and gone then no way.

I don't think I could part with Wilson at this point. He was finally showing what he could do and while snipers are hard to come by, so are power forwards. Wilson was really coming into his own before his injury and honestly was the big reason we were as average as we were early in the season. Without him, I think we have get the number 1 pick hands down. And to be honest, while Vanek is a proven goal scorer, he's pushing 30 whereas Wilson is still under 25. That's just me though.

I think with landing Forsberg, we have a young sniper to add to some power forwards that we have coming up through the system in Wilson, Beck and Budish. Until Beck or Budish prove their worth long term, I think trading Wilson would be a step back.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I'm sorry, but that's kooky talk.

Wilson is a good player...Vanek is an elite player. The five year age difference isn't enough to somehow propel Wilson above Vanek and his multiple 40 goal seasons.

The difference is Wilson still hasn't hit his prime while Vanek is in itand is closer to the decline. Then there is the cost factor. Wilson is far less expensive and will still be restricted when his contract is up. This is why Wilson should be kept over trying to trade him for Vanek.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
The difference is Wilson still hasn't hit his prime while Vanek is in itand is closer to the decline. Then there is the cost factor. Wilson is far less expensive and will still be restricted when his contract is up. This is why Wilson should be kept over trying to trade him for Vanek.

Vanek is the same age as Shea Weber. 27. He has 8 or 9 more years of being in his "prime," a prime that Wilson has shown nothing to suggest that he'll match.

I will take 8 more years of Vanek and 35-40 more goals over an extra five from Colin Wilson.

Sometimes we get a little too attached to our own players, I think. It's why I see so many "Let's throw Blum in with our first pick and move into the top three...who will be able to turn down a potential top four dman that was a first round pick!" posts.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I'd definitely deal Wilson for Vanek. The kid has shown flashes of what he could be, but he has yet to put it all together. Unproven < proven in this case.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com
Truth of the matter is veeeery few players ever live up to their "potential." HFBoards posters tend to overvalue prospects and undervalue actual performance.

Vanek>Wilson 4 days out of 5. Plus, you have to consider Vanek's most significant injury is a broken jaw via a slap shot to the face, so you really can't hold that against him. Plus, he plays in front of the net a lot, so he's going to take a beating.

NSHPreds1835

Glads/Preds
May 24, 2011
Monroe GA

The question is how good can Wilson be? Does he have the potential for 35-40 goal seasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad