Proposal: UFA Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Yeah, Parros was so good so far this series, specially against Bruins. I can see him having an even bigger role against the Rangers and against teams like Blackhawks, Ducks or Kings.

:sarcasm:

Lucic will be Lucic, with an enforcer or without an enforcer. If you think Lucic will fight a 4th liner who plays 3minute a night after doing what he does, you're in for a ride.

That's why you need a nutcase like Scott.

You think Scott will send Lucic a fax message before pounding on him if he does anything stupid?

Like I said, it's only an option for the coach. But it's an option we must have.

Sala90

Aug 20, 2009
Rimouski
I'm sure it has nothing to due with the increased scrutiny and rule changes after Lucic ran Miller that one time. Nope, it was all John Scott and his 3 minutes of ice time.

This is the thing, a goon won't necessarily hurt you during the regular season, but it's ridiculous to waste contract space on one, especially an older one who could easily suffer the same decline Parros and Laraque did. If we need goons, scout up and coming ones, give them two-way contracts. At worst we get an AHL body and a punching bag, at best we get a 4th liner or trade bait. Lower risk, higher reward.

Totally! If we absolutely want a goon, better get one on a two-way contract and a young player (well... under 30 years old at least) who is hungry. Someone like Brett Gallant or Joel Rechlicz. They can do their job in the AHL for 45-60 games and in the NHL for 15-20 games.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I wouldn't mind getting Scott, but the guy I like is Luke Gazdic... Has a ton of power in his hands and already gave Lucic all he could handle. He's a pretty good skater, young and I think could put up a few points in the right situation. He's an RFA this off season.

Last edited by a moderator:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think the team has finally realized Lucic is nothing but a slow turd.

He was ineffective, didn't scare anyone and they just laughed at him after he broke down.

Why do you need an enforcer? It's clear that the best way to deal with that clown is ignoring him.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
That's why you need a nutcase like Scott.

You think Scott will send Lucic a fax message before pounding on him if he does anything stupid?

Like I said, it's only an option for the coach. But it's an option we must have.

No it's not. It's an option we don't have right now (or for the last few years) and we've been fine. We don't need any plugs like scott. We need hockey players.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

He was ineffective, didn't scare anyone and they just laughed at him after he broke down.

Why do you need an enforcer? It's clear that the best way to deal with that clown is ignoring him.

Well said.

Also, the timing of this thread is hilarious. The Canadiens just beat the bruins and kind of made them look like fools in the end without an enforcer.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
No it's not. It's an option we don't have right now (or for the last few years) and we've been fine. We don't need any plugs like scott. We need hockey players.

Has anybody even debated dressing a guy like Scott in the playoffs?

Of course you don't. There are no fights in the playoffs. In the regular season though, the line is getting crossed very often. And your opponent just knowing you MIGHT put an insane **** in the lineup goes a long way.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I like having a real 4th line. Scott would be a waste of roster space. Habs don't need to be afraid of thugs like Lucic. And even if they had Scott, Lucic would just leave him alone, like with Laraque. It's just sad to me that so soon after the team has just proven the pointlessness of that kind of game, some fans still want to go there.

Exactly, and at the end of the day we beat them where it hurts the most!!!

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Has anybody even debated dressing a guy like Scott in the playoffs?

Of course you don't. There are no fights in the playoffs. In the regular season though, the line is getting crossed very often. And your opponent just knowing you MIGHT put an insane **** in the lineup goes a long way.

The line gets crossed way more in the playoffs. The coachs just aren't dumb enough to play plugs like scott who can lose them games. The refs let tons more go in the playoffs. Dirty slashing, punches, hitting from behind. Hell, You would need an excel sheet to track how many charging majors lucic should have had in this series.

Fighters are there for entertainment, nothing else.

Bilbo Caufield

Habs Hockey
Dec 9, 2008
Santa Flanella
Personally I would not touch Scott even if he's a real monster and brings physical respect. We have some monster kids coming with hopefully Mccarron or Crisp panning and as for now we're doing well with our 4 balanced lines. I think dancing marc plan is to draft bigger guys and have a physical team as a whole like western teams and not a goon to protect others.

I would still like to see Scott punching Thornton and see him spitting his teeths out :laugh:

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
In order to get to the dance, you need to keep your guys protected and Bergevin knows this... He signed Prust and when he got worn down from doing all the heavy lifting, he brought Parros in... Parros was a good addition but ran into some injury problems... But this team needed and will continue to need muscle and protection. Good team toughness is a start and something Bergevin is building through the draft, but a cop on the beat won't hurt either... Seems to have helped this team so far eh?

The regular season and the playoffs are two different animals... But you need to succeed in one to get to the other. Parros and Murray did that this year and you can't downplay their contributions. The tougher teams didn't try to take nearly as many liberties.

Drunk World Order

Jun 22, 2003
Toronto
No thank you to Scott...he can't play hockey and will only hurt you I am all for having a tough guy in the lineup part time to keeps opposing teams honest...Usually Moen, Prust and Tinordi should be enough but there should be many options out there if needed. I like Luke Gadzik out of Edmonton they picked him up off waivers and he's young and destroyed people last year and can play a bit.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I guess I shouldn't be surprised to see this thread exist.

Whenever the Habs have tried to add anyone to match the Bruins in fisticuffs, it leads to the Canadiens being utterly embarrassed.

We just finish beating them in a series where we showed we could match them in skill and toughness without dropping the gloves or losing our tempers. But nope, people want to make sure we fight the Bruins.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Don't know if Scott is the right pick, but I do think we need this on the team to get through the regular season.

Apr 28, 2010

Came to say this. Let Lucic take penalties. If he doesnt want to play hockey, better for the Habs.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Our 4th line lit up the Bruins in game 7.

So hey, let's replace one of them with a guy who can't play hockey!

In the playoffs you can't afford the risk

But in the regular season you can afford putting an heavy once in a while when you expect things to get rough and when one of your 4th liner is a bit banged up/injured. It's just one more tool to have in your toolbox.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
What I do know though is this - Bergevin believes in the role of an enforcer, and I'm thankful he doesn't think like some in here.

Saintpatrick*

I for one would love to see an enforcer grab Lucy by the scruff of the neck and pound the living **** out of him. Humble him so badly that he wouldn't dare do what he did in the handshake line or open his big yap again. Whether it be Scott or some kid from the AHL this team needs an enforcer.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
-The Parros 'experiment' was, like getting Laraque, a complete failure.

-Fighting was down big time this year. IIRC 40% less fighting in the regular season. And absolutely no fighting so far in the POs. It's being phased out. Deal with it.

-We just took out the bullies with a 4th line composed of hockey players. Who's got an inferiority complex?

-The three team qualified so far for the CFs all rely on speed and skill throughout the lineup. That will set a trend.

For all of these reasons, I seriously doubt that Bergevin will go after a goon/enforcer.

Saintpatrick*

-The Parros 'experiment' was, like getting Laraque, a complete failure.

-Fighting was down big time this year. IIRC 40% less fighting in the regular season. And absolutely no fighting so far in the POs. It's being phased out. Deal with it.

-We just took out the bullies with a 4th line composed of hockey players. Who's got an inferiority complex?

-The three team qualified so far for the CFs all rely on speed and skill throughout the lineup. That will set a trend.

For all of these reasons, I seriously doubt that Bergevin will go after a goon/enforcer.

Parros is basically at the end of the line when it comes to his career so was Laraque when we got him. There are certain teams that you need a goon dressed as a deterrent. What we need is a guy who can play but can also fight well those guys are hard to find however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad