Proposal: UFA Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Yes we won our series against the Bruins and yes Parros turned out to be a dude but there's something to remember. In the 60s the Habs had John Ferguson and the 70s Robinson & through the 80s & early 90s Chris Nilan. Strange that ever since we stopped carrying a policeman on the roster we've won diddly squat. I'm not saying that's all you need but it helps. You need a policeman on a team with talent.

We won this year because the Bruins just didn't have the stomach to physically intimidate us. Chara was basically worn out. Thornton is 36. Iginla will fight but doesn't goon it up so that just left Milan whistling my way through the playoffs Lucic.

What makes you think after this early exit Boston management doesn't decide they need to get back to their roots?

A Scott I would only sign up if we can't get anyone else. But definitely we need an enforcer who can play hockey: A Ferguson, Nilan, Robinson, McPhee. If we don't have that sort of player the Lucics and the Charas will pound the crap out of the Weises & the Emelins. The Lucics & the Charas are cheap shot artists and will take liberties when they know they can get away with it.

Bruins had a hard time matching up to the Habs' speed this year. They lost to a more talented Hawks team last year.

Gooning it up is not the answer.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The thing is, Scott is even more useless than most tough guys. He's on the verge of being damaged goods like Parros.

I agree, as long as we don't ignore the role of a 'tough guy'.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Scott last 5 games,same roll as Parros.

time on ice

Apr 13 '14 NYI @ BUF 8:43
Apr 12 '14 BUF @ BOS 6:03 / 24 pen mins
Apr 06 '14 BUF @ PHI 9:58
Apr 04 '14 BUF @ DET 6:50
Apr 03 '14 BUF @ STL 8:11

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...y-for-fight/BDKXqCjlQwhw4BpjboCBxM/story.html

BUFFALO — An instant after Shawn Thornton dropped his gloves against John Scott on Jan. 13, the Boston enforcer was in danger.

Thornton, who is 6 feet 2 inches and 217 pounds, leapt at the 6-8, 259-pound Scott to breach the bigger man’s perimeter. But Scott landed the first grab — a left hand full of Thornton’s jersey, just inside the Bruin’s right shoulder and under his right cheek.

Scott locked his left elbow, straightened his left arm, and began his barrage. Scott pumped 10 rights at Thornton. Several times, Scott tagged Thornton behind his left ear. Thornton, whose right hand was in another ZIP code, didn’t swing once.

“Once I get my arm locked out, there’s nothing he can do,” Scott said. “It’s an inevitable end. I’m going to hit him.”

The Black-and-Gold wreckage in Scott’s wake is no coincidence. On July 1, 2012, Buffalo signed Scott to a one-year, $600,000 contract. An underpinning reason for then-general manager Darcy Regier’s interest was his team’s sleepy reaction the previous season to Milan Lucic decking goaltender Ryan Miller.

Last edited:

PricePkPatch*

I want a Scott-like player for one single reason:

Potential.

It's nice to have the opposition team know that we COULD ice him if we wanted.

I don't want Scott to play more than 20-25 games a year. But when he do play, I want it to be in those games we expect to be dirty.

Ya know. Like Game 1 vs. the Bruins next year, which will probably be... in January :cry:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The argument of being a bad player is weak here. We arent trying to get Scott to play hockey, he would play 5 minutes a game anyway. Its like Parros, he used to play during the regular season now he is sitting. Problem is Parros cant fight anymore.

Exactly. It's well worth having a guy other teams fear, even if he only plays 5-8 minutes a night 40 games a year, it allows guys like Prust weise Tinordi(down the road) to play hockey and not have to fight goons, and guys like Gallagher Emelin Subban Plekanec to play with an edge without fear of getting jumped.

For the 1% of a cap space a player like that requires, I don't see the whining about having a guy that "only plays 3 minutes". I'd rather a Parros as 13th or 14th forward than an Andrighetto or Thomas...those guys need to play 18-20 minutes AHL.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Russell told Rolston that Scott was a good person and teammate. Scott’s fists, however, were the assets that would serve Buffalo best.

“He’s a nuclear weapon you have at the end of the bench,†Russell, now a Providence College assistant, told Rolston. “I don’t know your situation in Buffalo, but I think you need that a little bit with what happened with the Bruins the year before.â€

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
No need for Scott.

If Lucy hurts a Hab he'll be suspended because of the threats.

And then what? We'll have a seriously injured player's blood on our hands, and we'll write songs/call the police as a way to battle against it? Worked so well in 2011...

You need a deterrent. When this division gets less insane, ok. But with Boston still in the picture and as frustrated as ever? We need at least an option out there. Even if the guy plays 3 minutes a game.

DudMcManus

Jan 20, 2010
Russell told Rolston that Scott was a good person and teammate. Scott’s fists, however, were the assets that would serve Buffalo best.

“He’s a nuclear weapon you have at the end of the bench,†Russell, now a Providence College assistant, told Rolston. “I don’t know your situation in Buffalo, but I think you need that a little bit with what happened with the Bruins the year before.â€....

and where is Rolston right now?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We need more goons for the ceremonial handshake, where the biggest threats to our players' lives are likely to happen. :sarcasm:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Man, we've been playing the Bruins with Lucic and Chara for how long now??
With Laraque and Parros or without, did anybody really notice any freaking difference??
Chara is 37, will be 38. Thornton might have punched his ticket out of town with his water bottle act. Lucic is still strong but the guy doesn't fight enforcers, and quite frankly why should he?

We beat the Bruins during the season, without enforcers, we eliminated them in the POs while them being highly favored, without an enforcer. We are not intimidated by the Bruins. So let's stop pretending like we are.

Lucic wants to threaten players, boohoo, you think players don't say crap like that in every game? It's a bigger thing now because it was during a handshake where you're supposed to just let things go, but he was too big of baby to do that. So be it.
Weise and Emelin can troll him some more next year, and hopefully they'll do it with a SC ring on their finger.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
We need more goons for the ceremonial handshake, where the biggest threats to our players' lives are likely to happen. :sarcasm:

You guys don't think Lucic is crazy enough to pull a Chara? I do.

Parros might not have been good this year. He still played a huge role into us being able to play our game all year long.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Man, we've been playing the Bruins with Lucic and Chara for how long now??
With Laraque and Parros or without, did anybody really notice any freaking difference??
Chara is 37, will be 38. Thornton might have punched his ticket out of town with his water bottle act. Lucic is still strong but the guy doesn't fight enforcers, and quite frankly why should he?

We beat the Bruins during the season, without enforcers, we eliminated them in the POs while them being highly favored, without an enforcer. We are not intimidated by the Bruins. So let's stop pretending like we are.

Lucic wants to threaten players, boohoo, you think players don't say crap like that in every game? It's a bigger thing now because it was during a handshake where you're supposed to just let things go, but he was too big of baby to do that. So be it.
Weise and Emelin can troll him some more next year, and hopefully they'll do it with a SC ring on their finger.

We've been saying that before the Pacioretty incident too.

I don't want to play an enforcer each game. You just have to get a guy who can get 20 games at 3-4 minutes per game. For all I care, you can even sit him against Boston, but only if the circumstances allow you to.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You guys don't think Lucic is crazy enough to pull a Chara? I do.

Lucic is out of control and understands how lax league rules are and is taking advantage of them to the fullest. The way you counter him is by desmurfing the team, but not at the expense of skill. Add deterrents who earn their way to the roster, like Tinordi.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Lucic is out of control and understands how lax league rules are and is taking advantage of them to the fullest. The way you counter him is by desmurfing the team, but not at the expense of skill. Add deterrents who earn their way to the roster, like Tinordi.

Tinordi doesn't even deter D'Agostini from beating him to the puck in the corners, and getting out with it.

Scott is just an option. But he's an option you MUST have in this division today.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
If you want a heavyweight scrapper, just get a young one. Someone who's hungry

I was all for getting Brett Gallant, from the preseason games this season. I knew this kid was special after watching him fight 3 times in half a game in preseason. And he can actually play a bit...

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Bruins had a hard time matching up to the Habs' speed this year. They lost to a more talented Hawks team last year.

Gooning it up is not the answer.

That's one opinion. Yours. If you look at NHL history there have been many GMs & coaches who don't agree. I'll always remember the King Clancy quote, "If you can't beat them in the back alleys you can't beat them on the ice." True he's from the 40s 50s & 60s but that mentality hasn't completely left hockey.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Bruins have shown time and time again that they don't change their schtick regardless of which enforcer the opposing team has.

Secondly, the Bruins have shown time and time again that they can be beaten and convincingly without the opposing team having an enforcer.

If you can get a guy who can play 10 minutes a game, sure, but a plug...no.

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
I agree that we need a good on the roster. He won't play in the playoffs, only in the regular season and he'll make sure other teams don't try to goon it up at the end of games. Toronto seemed to play us very differently with Parros and Murray in the lineup. Same thing with Boston. Hell, the only reason Thornton didn't start punching people in game 3 (?) was because Murray was on the ice.

The Bruins will most definitely try to goon it up next season if we beat them 2-0 or 3-0 in our games.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tinordi doesn't even deter D'Agostini from beating him to the puck in the corners, and getting out with it.

Scott is just an option. But he's an option you MUST have in this division today.

I don't agree with the Scott option. The guy can barely play. With every team he's been with, it's the same story. Limited ice time and too often deemed a liability and taken out of the lineup.

We need to favor skill, size, speed, hockey sense. If we acquire someone who has the ability to engage, he has to be a hockey asset, like a bigger Prust.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
I love these threads where the same guys come babbling about the need for an enforcer while ignoring the evidence that having an enforcer does not deter opposing team's plugs/dirty players from continuing their dirty antics. Keep laboring under an illusion guys.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I love these threads where the same guys come babbling about the need for an enforcer while ignoring the evidence that having an enforcer does not deter opposing team's plugs/dirty players from continuing their dirty antics. Keep laboring under an illusion guys.

Keep laboring under the illusion you know what goes on on the ice of a hockey rink.

Ask any Habs player if they liked Parros this year. They'll all say he helped big time.

HatTricK09

Jun 23, 2012
Yeah, Parros was so good so far this series, specially against Bruins. I can see him having an even bigger role against the Rangers and against teams like Blackhawks, Ducks or Kings.

:sarcasm:

Lucic will be Lucic, with an enforcer or without an enforcer. If you think Lucic will fight a 4th liner who plays 3minute a night after doing what he does, you're in for a ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad