UFA Frenzy/Offseason Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Thank you. That’s what I was thinking. It was brought up by our beat writer but not by any one else really.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
If that is true (I doubt it is for the record) then Chychrun did us a huge favor. I would not give Mateychuk for Chychrun 1 for 1. If the FO also wanted Geekie then we really got some big time luck on draft night according to my personal opinions on players and prospects.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If that is true (I doubt it is for the record) then Chychrun did us a huge favor. I would not give Mateychuk for Chychrun 1 for 1. If the FO also wanted Geekie then we really got some big time luck on draft night according to my personal opinions on players and prospects.
If that is true I would like to know what he thinks now. 😉

Reactions: LJ7

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
This seem high to anyone else?
Seems high at first, but the more I read Sens fans' comments on signing an emerging talent to his prime for years 20-29, the more sense it makes... They're paying for future production and I guess there's a good chance he'll live up to it. Or in other words - they're taking a page from the Colorado Avalanche playbook (they signed their core young to long deals).

Reactions: Jovavic

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think it might be true. I think Geekie might end up as a pretty good top six C but I agree with you that I'd rather have Mateychuk than Geekie, and over Chychrun too.

Reactions: Youngguns80

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I think it might be true. I think Geekie might end up as a pretty good top six C but I agree with you that I'd rather have Mateychuk than Geekie, and over Chychrun too.
In order for it to be true then our FO either used Portzline to downplay it and get ahead of the narrative, or Portzline truly did not know about it. Either of those are possible but he did say that we were not extremely interested in Chychrun on his Athletic live questionnaire podcast IIRC.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
In order for it to be true then our FO either used Portzline to downplay it and get ahead of the narrative, or Portzline truly did not know about it. Either of those are possible but he did say that we were not extremely interested in Chychrun on his Athletic live questionnaire podcast IIRC.

I don't think we know really, I expect FO's on both sides to lie.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I certainly hope Gaudreau is on the Front St entrance and not the McConnell St entrance.

If we still have Korpisalo on an entrance we've got some serious marketing issues.

He could become the “starter” a 1/4 way through the year, if the team actually begins coaching and holding players accountable (like an NHL team should) for poor play.

Why do Korpisalo’s bad numbers from 1-2 years means everything, yet, Merzlikins’ bad numbers gets the “bad team defense” excuse?? What about Korpisalo’s injury/surgery??

Unlike our other goalie, Korpisalo has literally proven he can win playoff games/series against some of the best offensive teams in the league. Elvis should NOT just be HANDED the “starter“ role for the next 2-3+ years.

• Haha
Reactions: I3LI3 and VT

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
He could become the “starter” a 1/4 way through the year, if the team actually begins coaching and holding players accountable (like an NHL team should) for poor play.

Why do Korpisalo’s bad numbers from 1-2 years means everything, yet, Merzlikins’ bad numbers gets the “bad team defense” excuse?? What about Korpisalo’s injury/surgery??

Unlike our other goalie, Korpisalo has literally proven he can win playoff games/series against some of the best offensive teams in the league. Elvis should NOT just be HANDED the “starter“ role for the next 2-3+ years.
Korpisalo has had bad numbers for more than 1-2 years. And he had a better defense in front of him before Elvis got here.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I would like to see Tarasov - Korpisalo tandem if Daniil progress. Also it would be minus $5,400,000 under salary cap. But be realists. Nobody trades Elvis even if Tarasov plays like Vasilevsky and Korpisalo like Demko.

Reactions: thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Name 1 team in the league who plasters the backup goalie on their building at the start of the season.

A lot of different things “could” happen but he signed here for a backup goalies salary to try and salvage an NHL career. Best of luck to him but it is what it is.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Name 1 team in the league who plasters the backup goalie on their building at the start of the season.

A lot of different things “could” happen but he signed here for a backup goalies salary to try and salvage an NHL career. Best of luck to him but it is what it is.
The Columbus Blue Jackets do it seems. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a few more cases around the league. Korpisalo has been with the team for a very long time, and many around here like to portray this idea that he has never been successful in any way and/or looked like a very good goalie at times. That doesn’t just go away at 28. His “best” has literally looked and been better than Merzlikins’ has. The shutout streak was a “fluke” and influences way too much, to this day.

Korpisalo’s actual play has been nowhere near as bad as many around here claim. To add, Merzlikins hasn’t played as good as most of these same people also claim.

The contract given to Elvis is extremely questionable, and to say “to try and salvage an NHL career” to describe Korpisalo is ridiculous, IMO.

Reactions: VT

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The Columbus Blue Jackets do it seems. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a few more cases around the league. Korpisalo has been with the team for a very long time, and many around here like to portray this idea that he has never been successful in any way and/or looked like a very good goalie at times. That doesn’t just go away at 28. His “best” has literally looked and been better than Merzlikins’ has. The shutout streak was a “fluke” and influences way too much, to this day.

Korpisalo’s actual play has been nowhere near as bad as many around here claim. To add, Merzlikins hasn’t played as good as most of these same people also claim.

The contract given to Elvis is extremely questionable, and to say “to try and salvage an NHL career” to describe Korpisalo is ridiculous, IMO.
He signed a 1 year contract for 1/2 the money he made in his prior contract. I’m not sure what else you call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille