UFA Frenzy/Offseason Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thought it would be good to keep all UFA stuff here. Mods if it belongs in Around Hockey please move it.

Gaudreau heads to UFA. Rumors are Philly, Devils, or one of the NY teams.

Malkin re-signs in Pitt.

Metro getting tougher.

Reactions: VT

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I bet we do nothing this week and I am ok with that. Day 1 is for teams to make a splash. And overpay/give too much term. We don’t want to do that. We want the guy that doesn’t sign early in free agency and wants a place where he can prove himself. Like Sam Gagner.

Reactions: EspenK

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Players I’m watching with Jarmo

Burakovsky, a total joker pick
Marchment
Copp
Palat.
I could see all those guys being Jarmo type picks.

From defense I’m watching Leddy, another wild card but he’s a vet and Jarmo is aggressively trying to add a veteran blueliner.

As I said in the other thread it sounds like the seconday group can have some steals out there due to flat cap and the top guys still getting paid

Reactions: ViD

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Judging from Jarmo's comments in the newest article Porty wrote, it doesn't sound like Bean or Boqvist are going anywhere

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Players I’m watching with Jarmo

Burakovsky, a total joker pick
Marchment
Copp
Palat.
I could see all those guys being Jarmo type picks.

From defense I’m watching Leddy, another wild card but he’s a vet and Jarmo is aggressively trying to add a veteran blueliner.

As I said in the other thread it sounds like the seconday group can have some steals out there due to flat cap and the top guys still getting paid

Palat (along with Gaudreau) feels like New Jersey to me. They didn’t get Slafkovsky and need wings. They won’t have a high pick again for a long time so they are in the “add through free agency” phase of their rebuild. They can afford to give Gaudreau a big contract and still have money for Palat. Hughes and Hirschier are locked up so the next big contract is a few years away.

Where does Marchment play? Last thing we need is another wing.

Copp is a 1/2 point per game guy. Are we so desperate for centers that we overpay him? I hope not.

Judging from Jarmo's comments in the newest article Porty wrote, it doesn't sound like Bean or Boqvist are going anywhere

Does that mean that Bean and/or Boqvist will be traded? :naughty:

Reactions: tunnelvision

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Palat (along with Gaudreau) feels like New Jersey to me. They didn’t get Slafkovsky and need wings. They won’t have a high pick again for a long time so they are in the “add through free agency” phase of their rebuild. They can afford to give Gaudreau a big contract and still have money for Palat. Hughes and Hirschier are locked up so the next big contract is a few years away.

Where does Marchment play? Last thing we need is another wing.

Copp is a 1/2 point per game guy. Are we so desperate for centers that we overpay him? I hope not.

Does that mean that Bean and/or Boqvist will be traded? :naughty:

I know they aren’t players fans exactly want but still guys who I could see Jarmo target.

They have been rebuilding/retooling and without risking the future can and may want to upgrade the team.

Marchment was heart and soul type of player for Florida.
Copp would add more versatility into the roster.

& as I said it sounds like flat cap will push some players accept more team friendly contracts because teams( and contenders) just don’t have the money

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Honestly I hope we don’t do anything in UFA. We literally have 18 forwards on the roster for next year. Jarmo missed the boat on trades at the draft and adding even more players now seems incredibly silly. I’d be ok with a dman on a short contract but also want guys like Blankenburg and Christiansen to not get “Peeke’d” next year either.

Reactions: Viqsi and Toe Pick

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
& as I said it sounds like flat cap will push some players accept more team friendly contracts because teams( and contenders) just don’t have the money

I agree with this. I think we could wait a couple of weeks and see who hasnt found a team and offer a one or two year deal to a center or defenseman. But I don’t think we’ll make a splash in the next few days. Maybe we’ll sign someone who didn’t receive a qualifying offer to a two-way deal this week.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Wish list:
1. I'm the conductor of the Sign Vincent Trocheck Train™ – I think he'd be a perfect fit here as a 1/2C for a year or two, then a middle-six center long-term. He'd single-handedly solve a few problems with our power play.
2. If Trocheck isn't gonna come here, I would not mind Dvorak as a buy-low trade guy. Would be a good compliment for Sillinger as a 1-2 punch if he bounces back (and I have more faith in him going forward than Roslovic)
3. I think we have more of a need at LD than RD, but I'd love Mark Pysyk. Also would not mind reuniting with Ian Cole.
4. Ondrej Kase seems like he'd be a fun pickup, but obviously we have a logjam on the wing.

Predictions:
1. Robinson and Bemstrom get traded in minor deals. Maybe Bean, too.
2. Jarmo signs a big defenseman to a medium-term contract (3-4 years)
3. They sign a veteran bottom six center who doesn't inspire a ton of excitement but ends up being solid (someone like Tierney, Acciari, Gagner or Bjugstad)
4. The Jackets make a big trade no one sees coming. Maybe something with Bjorkstrand. Love the guy but since we're a few years away, he seems like a tremendously valuable trade piece.

Other thoughts:
1. Trocheck ends up in Pittsburgh (his hometown) and I demolish a whole large Jet's Pizza by myself through tears tonight.
2. Malkin ends up in Florida as a pseudo-replacement for Giroux. EDIT: LMAO wait apparently he re-signed in Pittsburgh after I went to bed last night, never mind! :laugh:
3. Dylan Strome is roughly equal to Roslovic (just with different strengths) and I do not mean that as a compliment to Strome. Same goes for Sam Steel.

Last edited:

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I would REALLY like to see Jarmo pounce on Philly's situation and finally "weaponize his cap space" if they splurge on Gaudreau.

JVR is the perfect target. Only one year til UFA and although he carries a cap hit of 7 mil his actual salary is 4 mil. I know it adds even more wings but if he can pull their 2023 first out of the deal then make it work.

Jarmo could also turn around and deal him at the deadline as a rental.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
I would REALLY like to see Jarmo pounce on Philly's situation and finally "weaponize his cap space" if they splurge on Gaudreau.

JVR is the perfect target. Only one year til UFA and although he carries a cap hit of 7 mil his actual salary is 4 mil. I know it adds even more wings but if he can pull their 2023 first out of the deal then make it work.

Jarmo could also turn around and deal him at the deadline as a rental.
Konecny is a great target, too. Fits the mold of a guy you'd give up multiple roster players for. Consolidate some of the young talent and improve in the top six.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I'm hoping the jackets try for zadorov and deal a couple of wingers. I don't expect anything big signing wise. We could still see a big trade, but that wouldn't happen until free agent frenzy end.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm hoping the jackets try for zadorov and deal a couple of wingers. I don't expect anything big signing wise. We could still see a big trade, but that wouldn't happen until free agent frenzy end.

Wasn’t Zadorov asking for a high aav for his caliber player?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm expecting today will be fairly quiet, and that this is okay and probably a good thing. Our trade situation is one that's generally more useful midseason rather than offseason, and I think rushing to trim guys who've been designated Odd Man Out is a mistake.

I'm less looking forward to the complaints that will inevitably follow.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If ownership is cool with it, I don't mind going above market AAV on shorter-term (2-3 year) deals for guys like that. Take advantage of having guys on ELC deals and bridge the gap until Jiricek/Ceulemans/Mateychuk are ready.

I’m could see them target someone on a short term deal to be potentially sold at the deadline.

Go get Puljy on the cheap

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

So today they'll have a live stream of Bob and Jody rambling about UFA stuff we can already find out on twitter and TSN/ESPN but no coverage of dev camp 3vs3 scrimmages.

Hoo freaking ray.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I have low expectations. There is less disappointment that way. I'm pretty underwhelmed by this free agent market anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad