UFA Frenzy/Offseason Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Islanders selling Barzal. How the hell we make room for him? Gaudreau - Barzal - Laine. That would do it. But we need what 7-10M more capspace?

• Love
Reactions: Fro and I3LI3

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I don't think Barzal is that good either. He wasn't even the Isles 1C last year and has a huge QO coming up (I heard $10m?).
Yes, QO would be $10M to retain his rights. That's tough when you think he could sign his QO and leave and that QO being so high puts a pinch on the CAP for the Isles too. He's obviously arbitration eligible too. I have a hard time thinking he would not be signed but if there are rumors they want to move him... makes for an interesting year for the Islanders.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Islanders selling Barzal. How the hell we make room for him? Gaudreau - Barzal - Laine. That would do it. But we need what 7-10M more capspace?
I doubt Barzal could join them he loves the puck too much. Also don't forget his partners in Isles were Anders Lee and Josh Bailey. Laine and Gaudreau are different type of players.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Well hes getting a look outside of a Trotz system this year so I guess we'll see. Good player but not 10mil good.
Maybe, but gotta remember it'll still be a Lou roster with a severe lack of offensive talent outside Barzal. A good chance nothing changes in terms of playstyle

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Last year was the first season after what I considered the start of a rebuild (I don't care what Jarmo says). This is supposed to be the second season after. Gaudreau helps immediately on and off the ice but the team is still extremely young and the defense is a huge question mark. So I still look at this as mostly a rebuilding team. I have no playoff expectations of them but I am going to assume they are a playoff team until they prove they aren't. I want to see continued improvement defensively and continued growth from the young guys whether here or in Cleveland or elsewhere. I don't know if Jarmo is done with trades before the final roster is set so until then I look forward to seeing who wants to earn a spot on the team this year. There seems to be some interesting competition.

Does anyone know how Korpi and Tarasov are doing with their rehabs?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I doubt Barzal could join them he loves the puck too much. Also don't forget his partners in Isles were Anders Lee and Josh Bailey. Laine and Gaudreau are different type of players.
I agree. And in fact as I have been watching most of Laine’s NHL games and I have realized during the years that Laine and Barzal absolutely hate each others and have been constantly in each others face when they have been playing against each others. Sure they have been on different teams, and there shouldn’t be any love between players on different teams. But between those guys it has looked pretty much like genuine hate really. I find it hard to believe that they would find very good chemistry even if they would be playing in the same team.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
7 year deal apparently, wtf is Calgary smoking
That's going to be so bad in its second half. I was hoping if he did sign with NYI that it would be 7. May have been the only way Calgary could land him and their window is the next few years.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
That's going to be so bad in its second half. I was hoping if he did sign with NYI that it would be 7. May have been the only way Calgary could land him and their window is the next few years.
I'd say after year two this looks horrible. I can see his game falling off a cliff, hard, like Umberger.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I'd say after year two this looks horrible. I can see his game falling off a cliff, hard, like Umberger.
Certainly could happen but I do respect them for recognizing the chance they have in the next few seasons. Their back end is truly elite and they have one of the best coaches in the league. Gotta capitalize on that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
G-ddamn it's got to suck to be an Islanders fan right now. First they thought they were in the running for Gaudreau and he comes here. Then they hear Kadri's all but done for NYI and he goes to Calgary. Wow.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
NYI are a hard team to pin down. They’re still solid defensively and have an excellent goalie. But offensively? Nothing really excites you. Imo at least. Solid players yes, but is it enough to compete for a playoff spot? I suspect they’ll be better than last year because they were only down because of their schedule and injuries. But they seem very middling to me

Reactions: majormajor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad