GWT: UCL Matchweek 6 & R16 Draw

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Konate is a Sochaux product. Just like Maxence Lacroix.
Konate is great. Physically he has it all. Just needs to put everything together. Liverpool doing a good developmental job not rushing him. He’s is a lot like Joe Gomez but better in the air. Also like Gomez he is almost too athletic for his own good and can be over reliant on that to bail him out but he is still young and there are few better to learn from than Virgil on the field and the LFC staff off the field

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
And the French/german leagues?
Ask the French and Germans.

All I know is I just watched Liverpool dominate the first place Serie A team that needed to win, at San Siro, with its B+ team. That is a bit of an indictment.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

All I know is I just watched Liverpool dominate the first place Serie A team that needed to win, at San Siro, with its B+ team. That is a bit of an indictment.
The indictment is that there are 4/5 elite teams atm then everyone else. Nothing new there. La liga is supposed to be this washed up league yet had more teams go through than anyone not the epl

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Liverpool is possibly the best team in the world, they have the best manager too. They also used the most in form player on the planet. You can't judge a whole league by how some team plays against them.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So the shittiest league la liga still had the 2nd most teams through and only 1 behind the epl.
You do realize they have more teams?
Zero French team was knocked out of Europe even though most are currently mid table.

Heck Monaco finished above Sociedad in their group. Lille over Sevilla. Check their respective league position.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Also worth noting that Holland, EPL and L1 were above La Liga in UEFA coefficients even though 2 of those leagues had less teams.
Kudos to Holland especially.
Ajax won all its games, Feyenoord and AZ won 4, PSV won 2 but still got to Conference and Vitesse went through with 3 wins.

France is 1st this year so far. England 2nd. Holland 3rd. Italy 4th. Spain 5th. Germany 6th.

Indice UEFA: la France première au classement sur la saison

Sorry @Duchene2MacKinnon
You spoke too fast.

Reactions: maclean

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I’m sick so bear with me. Both Germany and Italy had 4 teams yet only 1 and 2 teams made it out. The french league had both their teams go through, I understand they didn’t have others in the competition but this is the worst cycle for la liga and they compete so those obituaries people had a few months back we’re probably off the mark.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Also worth noting that Holland, EPL and L1 were above La Liga in UEFA coefficients even though 2 of those leagues had less teams.
Kudos to Holland especially.
Ajax won all its games, Feyenoord and AZ won 4, PSV won 2 but still got to Conference and Vitesse went through with 3 wins.

France is 1st this year so far. England 2nd. Holland 3rd. Italy 4th. Spain 5th. Germany 6th.

Indice UEFA: la France première au classement sur la saison

Sorry @Duchene2MacKinnon
You spoke too fast.

It's always worth remembering that the more teams a country has playing, the better they have to do. Having even 1 or 2 underperforming teams hurts a country's coefficient more than having fewer teams that can all do well.

Reactions: Evilo

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Obviously, but the problem for me is I don't see them winning the Europa League as things stand right now. Like I said though, a lot of time between now and when it starts up.

OK, I can understand from a fan's perspective I suppose, but the approach of "we probably wont win so it's better to not even try" is not a healthy one for any team. You've got nothing to lose and "focusing on the league" has always been overrated. I remember Napoli all those years with a great team not caring about the European competition because they wanted to win the league but still always ended up runner-up to Juventus.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I’m sick so bear with me. Both Germany and Italy had 4 teams yet only 1 and 2 teams made it out. The french league had both their teams go through, I understand they didn’t have others in the competition but this is the worst cycle for la liga and they compete so those obituaries people had a few months back we’re probably off the mark.
Get better man.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Baseless pep dominates the league yearly there’s a reason for it. Not just $$$ see united
No one says Pep is bad. He is just second. You want Pep to keep your team on top. You want Klopp to build your team to the top. It’s not just $ but that’s a big part of it. Pep has always gone to a front runner and he’s gotten all the benefits of doing so. Klopp hasn’t and has still been successful. That’s why Klopp is beat. Pep had been 1 until 2018ish I’m my opinion. Now it’s Klopp.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The only reason Liverpool weren't dominant last year was because their entire central defense got injured. Yet they still finished third while using central defenders nobody in the world ever heard of before. I don't remember any team in England ever having nobodies play so many games and finishing the season that well.

You just shouldn't judge a league by how they do against that kind of team. It's kind of absurd.

Reactions: Islay1989

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
It's sacrilege in this part of the world, but I'd still take Klopp over Pep. If you told me when Klopp signed for Liverpool he'd win the Premier league and the Champions league with an offensive trio of Salah (23 yo Chelsea bust, loaned to Roma) - Firmino (24 yo, just signed from Hoffenheim, scored 7 goals all season in the Bundesliga) - Mane (23yo, scored 10 goals for Southampton), I'd tell you you're out to lunch.

Reactions: gary69

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
OK, I can understand from a fan's perspective I suppose, but the approach of "we probably wont win so it's better to not even try" is not a healthy one for any team. You've got nothing to lose and "focusing on the league" has always been overrated. I remember Napoli all those years with a great team not caring about the European competition because they wanted to win the league but still always ended up runner-up to Juventus.

I never said anything about not trying. With regards to focusing on the league, the point isn’t winning the league, it’s finishing in a CL place! If we win the league I’ll take @Vasilevskiy and @Duchene2MacKinnon off of my ignore list I’ll likely be so happy.

Like I said there’s still a lot of time between now and when the competition starts up again. Still my concern is a lot of fixtures in the Europa League getting in the way of us getting back to a CL place. In my opinion the most likely way the club makes the CL next year is via the league.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It's sacrilege in this part of the world, but I'd still take Klopp over Pep. If you told me when Klopp signed for Liverpool he'd win the Premier league and the Champions league with an offensive trio of Salah (23 yo Chelsea bust, loaned to Roma) - Firmino (24 yo, just signed from Hoffenheim, scored 7 goals all season in the Bundesliga) - Mane (23yo, scored 10 goals for Southampton), I'd tell you you're out to lunch.

I would say it really depends on who’s in your squad. You might have a squad that appeals to one manager over the other. They’re both clearly the best managers in the game right now and probably have been for some time, but both are also pretty unlikable at times.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

Yeah, also if you think how Pogba was rated as the best player in Serie A at the time with Juventus before moving to Man Utd versus how Salah was rated with Roma, very few would have predicted the following 5 years for them. Personally, I remember being in awe of Pogba, and I thought he would be close to being best player in the world going forward, challenging Messi and Ronaldo and winning several Premier league titles and some CLs as well.. While Salah was an afterthought, who probably wouldn't amount to much success.

Granted, Pogba won the World Cup, but his club career has been a huge let down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad