GDT: U18 WCH's in Örnsköldsvik and Umeå 18 April-28 April 2019

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Holmstrom is a guy that a team like the Rangers could take a chance on since they have multiple picks at their disposal. Some have said he's a top-10 talent had he not been battling so many injuries. The concussion is a concern but there's no doubting that he's a very talented kid. I haven't seen a ton of tape on him but what I have seen has left me very impressed. Particularly with his edge work and ability to draw defenders to him while hitting an open man with a slick pass. A little bit Marner-esque.

Wasn’t it a hip injury?

Holmstrom is definitely good in some areas. But he isn’t well coached, isn’t playing a very effective game. Has a really long stick, always harder to get by with the higher you get. He cherry picks a bit and tries some naive moves at times and so forth.

I think he is a good kid, it’s not that. But he hasn’t taken some steps you want to see at this point. And it’s just not something you turn around over night. I was high on him going into the tournament and I thought that some of the issues he had like earlier and especially in the junior league was just him trying to do too much and that they wouldn’t be a problem in the real thing. But it goes deeper than that.

I wouldn’t mind taking a chance on him, but I think he ideally should be a pick in the Buch/Duke range. Late 1st is too high IMO and maybe even the first half of the 2nd. But if you can get him after that it’s interesting for sure. JMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
There are a bunch of studs in 2020 that’s for sure.

Lafreniere Byfield Lundell Raymond Holtz are easily the top 5. You can’t miss there.

This year little different. 2 clear studs.

Then probably 5 6 maybe 7 guys that could all go next in any order imo.

You can also say that Gunler, Nybeck, Rossi, Simontaival, Barron, Rochette and Perfetti could be top 5 talents, too. Right now that 2020 draft is looking so good, it's scary!!

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't see that, TBH. I mean he obviously has more merit than my opinion, but the injury concerns are very alarming. He also doesn't play effectively. Don't think he goes in the 1st round.

Maybe it says more about where the rest is at? Everyone loves Grewe, but is he playing his way into the 1st round? It’s not a strong year for Swedish forwards.

I think Karl Henriksson is rising among teams. Might need someone like McKenzie mentioning him to get the public rankers to start looking at him.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Kolychonok has been excellent, if he played for the US or Canada we'd be talking about a top 20 pick in this draft. Oxentyuk has been good for Belarus too.

LHD Ivan Rogov has been a nice surprise for Russia, should be a big riser after this tourney. Other noticeable Russians like Spiridonov, Chinakhov and Sheshin have upped their stock.

Besides the top USA players, Helleson continues to impress me, really want him in round 2.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Maybe it says more about where the rest is at? Everyone loves Grewe, but is he playing his way into the 1st round? It’s not a strong year for Swedish forwards.

I think Karl Henriksson is rising among teams. Might need someone like McKenzie mentioning him to get the public rankers to start looking at him.

Agreed, not a strong Swede forward group. Some of these guys won't go in the 1st anyway (the only one I could see being regarded in the 1st is Fagemo, ATM). Henriksson is playing on the rise, but was he even on anyone's radar before the recent surge? Had a very small SHL stint this year. Could be a Kravtsov-like unknown, but he is very very unknown.

Grewe is good, but there isn't a lot of upside offensively as a top 6 forward. Maybe top 9 in like a Hornqvist mold? Physical and pesty, could get under the opponents skin. Complimentary to a good playmaker or offensive d-man. The 2nd round is a perfect spot for him!!

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Kolychonok has been excellent, if he played for the US or Canada we'd be talking about a top 20 pick in this draft. Oxentyuk has been good for Belarus too.

LHD Ivan Rogov has been a nice surprise for Russia, should be a big riser after this tourney. Other noticeable Russians like Spiridonov, Chinakhov and Sheshin have upped their stock.

Besides the top USA players, Helleson continues to impress me, really want him in round 2.

About time someone other than me and @Amazing Kreiderman mentioned Spiridonov and Sheshin. They were on a line together with Dorofeyev in the MHL that tore up the beginning of the season. Very good options later on in the draft!!

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
About time someone other than me and @Amazing Kreiderman mentioned Spiridonov and Sheshin. They were on a line together with Dorofeyev in the MHL that tore up the beginning of the season. Very good options later on in the draft!!

And they both play a good defensive/forecheck game.

Spiridonov already has pro size, Righty Center, coming to an NHL 3rd line soon ;)

Sheshin is a small forward but can really forecheck with his speed. He's little but doesn't shy away from chippy situations :cf:

Reactions: Joey Bones

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
#13 Cole Caufield breaks the record with today's goal vs Latvia.

Absolutely drooling over Zegras after the pass that made that goal.

Must.get.him.somehow.

EDIT

Caufield scores again with Latvia on the ropes. That's 11 goals for CC. Now tied with Kucherov and Kovalchuk for 2nd all time at the U18T.

Hughes and Zegras set that one up.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Canada have come from behind 2-0 to go up 3-2 after 2 against the Czech Rep.

I really like Newhook, Rees and Korczak for Canada.

Newhook is flying out there, and is really creative around the net. Its the first time I've seen him outside of highlights, definitely very impressed by him. He is a little raw in some areas, but on the flip-side he is just so focused on creating offense every shift. He doesn't get trapped in the rythem of the game.

There have been some talks about us getting him with our later 1st, I think he will be gone pretty long before that.

Rees is relentless on the forecheck, skates so much, plats the body into Ds not having their heads up. Buzzes around the ice. Would definitely have interest in him with an early 2nd round pick.

I think Kaedan Korczak is one of the more underrated Ds in this draft, he is just a very solid 2-way D that certainly isn't without talent, these generation kids aren't like the previous ones. They have been raised under the current speedy and offensive direction of the game. The Slovak has an old-style stay-at home D. Thinks he plays in the Q, lost his name, but boy does a kid like that stick out like an sore thumb. KK can handle the puck, skates fairly well, and a tough no-nonsense D. I just like how he moves and handles the puck.

I am not super impressed with a few other players on Canada. Krebs doesn’t quite do it for me, his overall package of speed and skill is very good, but not fantastic. To be a skilled top 1-2 center in the NHL it must be fantastic.

Pelletier is like Brink, fantastic with the puck, great vision. But when they face the best of the best of their peers — their engine don’t enable them to be in the midst of things like the top guys.

I am not the biggest Harley fan. I recon it’s a bit of an expectations things since he has been really high in some rankings, but I don’t see much from him that the other top 10-15 Ds in this draft don’t have. I am probably a bit too critical, but I wouldn’t like to see him in the top 15.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Canada have come from behind 2-0 to go up 3-2 after 2 against the Czech Rep.

I really like Newhook, Rees and Korczak for Canada.

Newhook is flying out there, and is really creative around the net. Its the first time I've seen him outside of highlights, definitely very impressed by him. He is a little raw in some areas, but on the flip-side he is just so focused on creating offense every shift. He doesn't get trapped in the rythem of the game.

There have been some talks about us getting him with our later 1st, I think he will be gone pretty long before that.

Rees is relentless on the forecheck, skates so much, plats the body into Ds not having their heads up. Buzzes around the ice. Would definitely have interest in him with an early 2nd round pick.

I think Kaedan Korczak is one of the more underrated Ds in this draft, he is just a very solid 2-way D that certainly isn't without talent, these generation kids aren't like the previous ones. They have been raised under the current speedy and offensive direction of the game. The Slovak has an old-style stay-at home D. Thinks he plays in the Q, lost his name, but boy does a kid like that stick out like an sore thumb. KK can handle the puck, skates fairly well, and a tough no-nonsense D.

If hes there at 37 (or worse, gets taken by NJ) and they Pass I will be so pissed.

IF you want to get harder to play against, these are the types of players you want to prioritize. He isn't big but he battles as hard as anyone while still having the skill level to play in a top 6 role.

If we get (and keep) 28, I'd have no issue taking him there.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Forgot Dylan Cozens. He isn’t quite finding his way out there. I think he had 5 pts in that blowout against Belarus, but no point tonight and one participation assist against the Finns.

You would have liked to see more given the range he is discussed.

A comparison is Podkolzin, Russia is down 3-0 and vPod could leave another game pointless. Only has an assist against the US. But OTOH he is ore visible on the ice.

ZuccFluff- Yeah for sure!

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
cozens not having the best tourny. seems lost on the edge.

dach playing well strong game. he looks like a real gem

newhook again came to play. speed, tenacity and finish. kids got all the stuff. again, very involved without the puck and always head on a swivel. he sets up on the side on the pp and seems to like to run things off the wall. always ready top shoot and when he does, he can send it.

slow start for the canadians but then they got rollin and put the game away.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
If hes there at 37 (or worse, gets taken by NJ) and they Pass I will be so pissed.

IF you want to get harder to play against, these are the types of players you want to prioritize. He isn't big but he battles as hard as anyone while still having the skill level to play in a top 6 role.

If we get (and keep) 28, I'd have no issue taking him there.

newhook there at 37 ?

yeah no. gone in the top 15 is my thought.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Zegras wew

He has two nice assists tonight. But, as with both him and Caufield, the key is to evaluate how they will do outside that line.

As it is now, Hughes skates the puck up ice and draws a ton of attention, then he moves it to the others who has an ocean of ice to work with more often than not. All three certainly contributes to that line, and Zegras' vision is great. But does he have the ability to carry a top 2 line in the NHL?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Askarov with that full right glove is giving caufield and co fits. He’s moving to his right no problem and taking that shot away. He’s a heck of a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad