GDT: U18 WCH's in Örnsköldsvik and Umeå 18 April-28 April 2019

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Your A and B are the same? And teams in top10 first and foremost are looking for an impact player, how soon they will join maybe a tiebreaker only if your organization judges two prospects to be virtually even in all hockey related aspects.

They aren't the same because B refers to the U18.

The top 10 is pretty loaded right now and there are easily a dozen, if not more, players you can make a case for above Podkolzin with all else being equal.

I hate that the U18 is as impactful as it is because it isn't long enough, but the truth of the matter is that no matter how short it is, he should be better than 2 assists in 6 games.

Guys like Newhook and Broberg have helped themselves tremendously, Podkolzin has not.

Reactions: egelband

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Not fair to judge someone on a single tournament. He’s ranked top 10 for a reason. Imho. Haven’t seen him just got info from this board. Would you take him at 21? Or 37?

THis isn’t from a single tournament. In fact the only time he has produced that I’ve seen is a single tournament

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not fair to judge someone on a single tournament. He’s ranked top 10 for a reason. Imho. Haven’t seen him just got info from this board. Would you take him at 21? Or 37?

I would rank him around 15-20. He's a good prospect, but he never delivers away from the national team.

Reactions: Cag29

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
He was in the top 3 because he murdered the hlinka in spectacular fashion and didn't look out of place at the U20 considering that he was a draft eligible player.

Hes going to get dinged for A. Not being overly productive during the season over seas and B. Not producing at the rate you'd expect a high end player to in his age group. Most teams picking in the top 10 are looking for players who are at most, 1 and done (1 year in the CHL/NCAA/Euro League, etc. and then NHL ready), Podkolzin has 2 years left, maybe more.

He had 3 points in 7 games at the WJC, this wouldn't necessarily be a big deal if not for it being his inability to put up points against good comeptition that was his main issue.

His rep seems to have been skewed a lot by his domination at the Hlinka, which then had everyone make excuses for him. He did put up good numbers at the WJAC19, but that's a tournament where there were no legit prospects taking part aside from Podkolzin, Newhook and Brink (who put up the same amount of points as vPod). Aside from these two tournaments Podkolzin has been monumentally disappointing.

Then you add the fact that he wants to stay in Russia for a few years. I can't remember a prospect that I considered to have more red flags than vPod.

I'd probably pick Dorofeyev ahead of him despite the age difference.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He was in the top 3 because he murdered the hlinka in spectacular fashion and didn't look out of place at the U20 considering that he was a draft eligible player.

Hes going to get dinged for A. Not being overly productive during the season over seas and B. Not producing at the rate you'd expect a high end player to in his age group. Most teams picking in the top 10 are looking for players who are at most, 1 and done (1 year in the CHL/NCAA/Euro League, etc. and then NHL ready), Podkolzin has 2 years left, maybe more.

The contract situation isn't as big of a problem as it would be if it was a 1-year KHL deal. With the deal being more than 18 months still it gives the player a chance to buy out the contract. Either to negotiate a shorter deal or to move to NA immediately. Podkolzin has stated he wants to move to NA once he is ready to secure a spot on the NHL team. Whether that is this summer, next summer or even later is up to him.

Most players picked after the top-5 aren't NHL ready even after 1 year. Guys like Scheifele, Couture, Kadri, Nylander, Schenn, Granlund and many more needed 2 or more years to become NHL regulars. Podkolzin's contract situation won't be an issue. His lack of performance in league play will be his biggest red flag

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The contract situation isn't as big of a problem as it would be if it was a 1-year KHL deal. With the deal being more than 18 months still it gives the player a chance to buy out the contract. Either to negotiate a shorter deal or to move to NA immediately. Podkolzin has stated he wants to move to NA once he is ready to secure a spot on the NHL team. Whether that is this summer, next summer or even later is up to him.

Most players picked after the top-5 aren't NHL ready even after 1 year. Guys like Scheifele, Couture, Kadri, Nylander, Schenn, Granlund and many more needed 2 or more years to become NHL regulars. Podkolzin's contract situation won't be an issue. His lack of performance in league play will be his biggest red flag

Nylander played in the NHL in his D+2 season.

If you look at the last 10 drafts, most of the guys picked in the top 10 (even the bottom half of it) do play after a season.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
22 games hardly makes him an NHL regular

It's 1/4th of the season which isn't insignificant and IIRC, once he was called up he never went back.

Point being, most guys in the top 10 do play by their D+2 season. The ones that don't are normally CHL guys and inside of that pool, alot of them are busts (McIlrath, Glennie, Pouliot, MDC, etc.)

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I think newhook is. Better than zegras really do. If he were playing on this US team he’d be a top 5 pick imo

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
This US team has to be one of the most dominant we've seen at any level for some time, crazy that they managed to lose in the semis when their "smallest" win in the tournament is looking like it will be the 6-3 win over Russia in the group stage.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How the hell is Harley seen as a top 15 selection?

There is a belief that the CHLs has been the in a temporary slump, but I’ve long time speculated on if it might not just be that the elite program the USNDP has just is better than what each Canadian junior team can offer on their own, meaning that the kids from the US will do better than the Canadian kids.

I am sure Hartley is strong in the CHL, just as Bouchard was super special last season, but when you see him go up against the best of his peers he just isn’t quite as strong.

The reference points of scouts when looking at someone like Hartleys play in the CHL is just a tad high.

Canada will of course when everything is said and done never produce fewer great players than anyone else. But if we look at what is happening to kids during the D-1 season in like McKenzies polls — the Canadian kids are dropping all up and including the draft day.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kid is special

Yeah he reminds me of Marner.

Holmstrom with a great release for 2-0. I am not Holmstroms biggest fan, not sure how effective he could be at the NHL level, but his release and stride is good. He has had a tough year.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’m shocked he was able to blow that by askarov.

Russia looks awful. Podkolzin has done absolutely nothing. There’s no way this tournament doesn’t hurt him big time

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Ha right on que podkolzin with a brilliant goal.

Wait they’re waving it off?!?!?! This is a horrific call

They’re reviewing. That was a beauty of a bull move to the net his best play of the tourney

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
They corrected it. Good goal

His shift after was one of his best of the tourney. Let’s see what it does for him if that goal energized him to finish strong here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad