WJC: U.S. WJC Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
No because he clearly felt like he would have been a "go to" player for team USA never-mind getting cut. And he was super pissed if you read his quotes. No one really expected it and he wondered why he was even invited and a total waste of time cuz of the in-house politics.

I would not be all that shocked if he discretely declined an invitation next year.

I would be. (1) He'll look bad if he complains that those outside the USA developmental program don't get chosen but then turns down an invitation when they do invite them. (2) I'm sure he'd love to show the world next year why he should have been selected this year. (3) I'm sure the USA Hockey brass are already upset he went public with his gripes, and if he turns them down for the team next year, perhaps he risks future selection to senior teams, including the Olympics if he gets good enough.

4thliner*

I hear. Similar with his team mate Tyler Toffoli not making the Canadian squad.. You never know what the coach is looking for.

Your team just isn't playing very well, not as good as the parts it has that's for sure. Hopefully you don't start tomorrow.

Canada has the insane talent and depth to withstand forget Toffoli who is neither a great skater nor big and strong but NHL starts like RNH, Seguin...no problem

The US can't afford to be without any big offensive players. And I am pretty sure Prince would be their purest offensively talented and puck distributing/carrier guy.

PaulieVegas

Apr 29, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
If Finland wins a game in regulation, the U.S. can't go to the medal rounds because they don't have the head-to-head tie-breaker with Finland or the Czech Republic. Finland has to either lose out OR win one game in OT and lose the other in regulation in addition to the U.S. beating Canada.

But when you play your starting goalie against the team you're going to clobber anyway and your backup against the team that stands a legitimate chance of beating you, there are some serious problems in the mind of the coach. They don't deserve to win anything, frankly.

Was pretty sad to see the "legend" of Jack Campbell die a painful death this tournament. Poor performance against Russia in the exhibition game, poor performances in both games he played in the tournament. Makes you wonder if amazing performances of the last two years were a mirage.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
No because he clearly felt like he would have been a "go to" player for team USA never-mind getting cut. And he was super pissed if you read his quotes. No one really expected it and he wondered why he was even invited and a total waste of time cuz of the in-house politics.

I would not be all that shocked if he discretely declined an invitation next year.

And the coaches, for whatever reason, felt otherwise. Great he was pissed, so what? He can either use it as motivation to get better and put himself in a situation where they can't cut him next year, or he can go the route you seem to be suggesting and hold a grudge and ignore US hockey because he got cut. One route shows a willingness to be a team player and one shows a complete me first attitude. And US hockey won't be the one looking bad if Prince decides to be a dick about it.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
What an embarrassing tournament for the U.S. And sadly this is with a very veteran squad too. Only three players are eligible for next year. Pathetic showing.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
And the coaches, for whatever reason, felt otherwise. Great he was pissed, so what? He can either use it as motivation to get better and put himself in a situation where they can't cut him next year, or he can go the route you seem to be suggesting and hold a grudge and ignore US hockey because he got cut. One route shows a willingness to be a team player and one shows a complete me first attitude. And US hockey won't be the one looking bad if Prince decides to be a dick about it.

You don't know that for sure. If we are to believe Prince's account, the coaches had nothing to do with it and his non-selection was predetermined and based solely on politics.

If that's true then he has every right to tell usa go **** off.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
What an embarrassing tournament for the U.S. And sadly this is with a very veteran squad too. Only three players are eligible for next year. Pathetic showing.

That's a good thing. This crew needs to get the **** out asap. Frankly the entire US Hockey selection process needs to be overhauled and they need to look more towards coaches with NHL and AHL experience rather then just sticking with the usual USA Hockey crowd. Fact of the matter is that the coaching needs to take the best players available, regardless of if they've snubbed the NTDP in the past or if they're in the CHL rather then the NCAA. If not we'll just see similar results with the occasional shot at a medal.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Canada has the insane talent and depth to withstand forget Toffoli who is neither a great skater nor big and strong but NHL starts like RNH, Seguin...no problem

The US can't afford to be without any big offensive players. And I am pretty sure Prince would be their purest offensively talented and puck distributing/carrier guy.

Speaking of Seguin, I saw a commercial somewhere with him in it. Man is he built for a hockey player.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It is pretty obvious if you have not went through the NDTP and you go the CHL route you are not going to make Team USA.

Jared Knight probably could have **** gold medals and he wasn't getting picked. Good for Prince for speaking his mind- he got royally shafted. If I was him I'd need a Doctor to give me something to keep from laughing to death- oh, forgot, that's a bad attitude:biglaugh:

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
That's a good thing. This crew needs to get the **** out asap. Frankly the entire US Hockey selection process needs to be overhauled and they need to look more towards coaches with NHL and AHL experience rather then just sticking with the usual USA Hockey crowd. Fact of the matter is that the coaching needs to take the best players available, regardless of if they've snubbed the NTDP in the past or if they're in the CHL rather then the NCAA. If not we'll just see similar results with the occasional shot at a medal.

It's good that there will be turnover. It's not good that a roster poised to win fell flat on its face. Might be a while before we see another with this much promise.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
You don't know that for sure. If we are to believe Prince's account, the coaches had nothing to do with it and his non-selection was predetermined and based solely on politics.

If that's true then he has every right to tell usa go **** off.

I have a hard time believing that if Blais wanted to keep him that they would have told a Gold Medal winning coach "no, see he wasn't a USNTDP guy and he plays in the CHL, so you can't have him."

cenas*

I don't know too much about US national team hockey, but why isn't the CHL thing a problem for a guy like TJ Miller if its for that Prince guy?

Jumbo*

****ing disgrace. At least save some face and beat Canada tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jumbo*

So JT Miller was the only American who decided to show up today?

Disgrace.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Gibson wouldn't have done any better.

True. But this is proof that they're both not as good as we thought. Equal results for both goaltenders. Gibson let's in 4...he's terrible. Campbell let's in 4, by HF standards he MUST be terrible as well. I don't actually believe either goalie is, but I'm going to make an effort to fit in with the crowd.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!

He will be too old next year anyway.
Who do you guys expect to start in net against Canada?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
[/B]
He will be too old next year anyway.
Who do you guys expect to start in net against Canada?

They have to go with Campbell. He deserves one last chance to shine as a junior. He should have plenty of opportunity with the defense in front of him. No pressure either.

KulleKing*

Thank you USA for this tournament. I made 2 bets against you and earned about 700€ with those. I love you team USA. ;)

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The lack of cohesion with this team is really shocking. The whole point of the NTDP is to create cohesion moving forward but none of these guys look like they've ever played with each other before. Say whatever you want about bias, but the problems here went way beyond a couple of incorrect player selections.

This is pretty disastrous for USA Hockey. It seemed like things were starting to go in the right direction with this tournament the past few years but this is a big step backwards. It's all pretty shocking and obviously there'll be a lot of time for reflection but I'm not sure where they go from here.

ILWU13

Nov 30, 2010

Ya, Like Matt Nieto declined the invite this year!!!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Tragic. Terrible. Pathetic. Sad. Appauling...Disgusting......insert 1000 more adjectives to describe this performance and the heads of USA Hockey...

This performance really sums up what many of us have been crying about these past few years about bs politics with selecting this team.. From the top down, heads need to roll BIG TIME. Get rid of Jim Johansson, sick of seeing him apart of these squads...All the top executives that allow their pathetic bias towards non USNDP players need to be rolled out of dodge asap.

Bring in some new blood that dont give a **** where a kid is from as long as he can play the game. I have been reading Star Spangled Hockey this past week, plus have had Kevin Allen's other book USA Hockey for over a decade, and the same creed and code from the early stages of the formation of USA Hockey in the late 1930's was for ALL kids to have a fair shot at playing this great game. Give all kids the opportunity and guidance to play the greatest game on Earth for the greatest nation on Earth....

It is pathetic and appauling to be reading Star Spangled Hockey: 75 Years of US Hockey History; then watch what has gone down specifically these past two plus weeks with the selection process as well as similar cases over the past few years. We couldnt have gotten more away from why we created USA Hockey in the beginning then we are right now. Hobey Baker, John Mayasiach, Bill and Bob Cleary, Frank Brimsek, Doc Romnes, etc are all rolling over in their graves, or for those alive just disgusted.

We need to remove many of the executive commitee responsible for their bias and political blunders asap. I cant take any more of this ****.

In my heart, I have no doubt that guys like Shane Prince, Jared Knight, and Vincent Trocheck would have came to battle 1000 times better then the kids picked over them. Those kids who go to war in a much more competitve schedule and league play against many of the top players in their age group on a nightly basis, and to not bring these kids along was and is our downfall yet again. Throw in Stefan Noesen as well, and it just infurates me even more.

What disgusts me the most is the fact that USA Hockey is picking kids that have come from the USNDP or college hockey, yet the majority of this team looked as if they just met 2 days ago. You simply couldnt see a single bit of chemistry or communication out there. It was terrible. How can all these kids that are supposedly "familiar " with one another look so much like strangers out there?

I couldnt believe what I was watching, and simply still dont. We had no creativity with the puck, the shots were so misleading, this team looked flat, scared, and like a dried up piece of dog ****. Only Nick Bjugstad and JT Miller actually showed up throwing their bodies around and creating chances. I liked what I saw from Austin Watson, but he wasnt out there that much...

I was also surprised by the lack of movement from the point and the unwilligness to blast the puck from the point! I cant recall a single blast from the point this entire game outside of Stephen Johns doing it in the third period. God did we miss Connor Murphy and Justin Faulk.

taking a 5 minute pause......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad