Kristian Jensen, Luleå
Jeppe Jul Korsgaard, AIK
Thomas Olsen, Frölunda
Martin Eskildsen, SønderjyskE

Thats:
1 Goalie
5 Backs
10 Forwards

Who else, do you think, will get a spot?

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
The following players will probably also have a chance of breaking the roster:

Goalie
Marc Schläger, Jersey Shore Wildcats (NA)

Defenders
Jeppe Vinther, Frederikshavn
Lasse Bo Knudsen, Aalborg
Alexander Rønnest, Frederikshavn

Forwards
Markus Jensen, Herning
Emil Grandal, Gentofte
Frederik Rasmussen, Vojens
Mathias Klussmann, Gentofte
Emil Oliver Christensen, Rødovre
Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup, Selects Hockey Academy (NA)

Last edited:

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
With the WJC over for Denmark, I wanted to try to write down some thoughts about my impressions.

It was obviously a really impressive performance. I was pretty sure a QF was out of reach before the tournament. Because even if we were to upset switzerland, i suspected that they would get at least 1 or 2 points in the other games and getting a point from both russia and the czech seemed far out of the possibilities.. I was astounded that we managed a QF even though Switzerland had 4 points. Watching that Russia game will go up there with some of my all time highlights when watching denmark games.

The Three Big Stars:

Bjorkstrand is really a gem! He really opened up the eyes of the anybody who didn't realize how good he was, evidenced by media attention and especially on HFboards. We have been raving about Patricks commitment and fight during the last few WCs and Oliver has the same mentality although you don't notice it as much because one is distracted by all the skill he has, but he fought tooth and nails on every shift. He has a very well rounded game and he good no matter if we are talking 5-5, Powerplay and on the kill. What a player this guy already is!

Ehlers creates SO much. I, and many others tend to criticize him at times, we can't overlook how dynamic and important he was for almost everything we created. My pick for best forward would initially have went to Bjorkstrand but I can't really decide after thinking hard about it, because ehlers opens up so much space, and really was the catalyst. He clearly made more mistakes than Bjorkstrand, and seemed sometimes to fall out of the game, but he also took a lot of responsibility.....
We have been hyping him since forever, and every single ounce of that hype is deserved. This kid will be a force.
I still won't call him the best talent we ever had, because I always think people say that too soon...Before Ehlers, my pick would have been either Regin or Bødker. Regin will never reach his potential since the injury and Bødker is still developing, but Ehlers is definitely up there, and might be the best one yet.

Sørensen is my hero. Clearly our absolute best player of the tournament, and a player I hope would get drafted in the last round, just to give him that pad on the back and give him a taste of a NHL camp.
He was amazing, both in the WJC and in the World Junior Challenge beforehand...Really seems to cover his posts well, despite 3 goals going in off his pads from sharp angles, very technical and what lateral movement. Was amazed a few times at the strengh in his legs.
He isn't going to be in Herning next year for sure. Unless something really changes in that situation.

The rest:

Mads Eller: The antihero...Consists of two equal halfs. One half lovely aggressive player with great forechecking, has nice energy, who several times clearly helped set the pace we needed and who fit in perfectly on that line....And one half absolutely idiot, who takes extremely stupid penalties at the wrong times and who makes you feel shame when he does things like trying to hunt down canadian players with 10 seconds to go in the 3rd period while being down 8-0!

Nick Olesen: ended up becoming one of my favourite players on this team. Amazing attitude on every single shift, good skating, nice forechecking, and seems to have a great sense of positing, poke checks and creating screens.
I liked that 3rd line much better than the aagaard line.

Mikkel Aagaard: One of my major disappointments. He had good moments, but took terrible penalties and generally underperformed.

Matthias Asperup: Up and down. seemed to play very well on the PP with Ehlers and Bjørkstrand, but often disappeared on 5-5. He did have games where he played much better though.

Emil Møller Rasmussen was actually my favourite player on that line.

Our backs in general had a very busy time, and was generally struggling, but they really fought despite their obvious disadvantage. Krogsgaard, Larsen, Lassen and Hertzberg all had decent moments, with Krogsgaard possibly being best.

Olaf Eller really coached the team well, and played an aggresive fearless system that won the hearts of the hockey world and canada....Deserves huge credit!

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
The following players will probably also have a chance of breaking the roster:

Goalie
Marc Schläger, Jersey Shore Wildcats (NA)

Defenders
Jeppe Vinther, Frederikshavn
Alexander Rønnest, Frederikshavn

Forwards
Markus Jensen, Herning
Emil Grandal, Gentofte
Frederik Rasmussen, Vojens
Mathias Klussmann, Gentofte
Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup, Selects Hockey Academy (NA)

Wouldn't Schmidt be a bit young to make the roster next year? I don't really have any idea how strong the league he is in playing in is, so he might be very developed for his age. But I would think that a guy like Mathias From would be a candidate too after his very strong season J18 for Rögle, if players that young are candidates for the team.

DenGC

Nov 20, 2007
I think that Rasmus T. Andersson is gonna be a strong candidate. He has just about the same number of points for Malmø u20 as Matthias asperup.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Initial roster for the 2016 JWC

The initial Danish roster for the 2016 WJC has been announced:

Goaltenders
Thomas Lillie, Växjö Lakers (SWE)
Mathias Seldrup, Herning Blue Fox
Lasse Munk Petersen, Calgary Hitmen (NA)
Kasper Krog, SønderjyskE
Jakob Müller, Herlev

Defense
Matias Lassen, Leksand (SWE)
Christian Mieritz, Hamilton Bulldogs (NA)
Kristian Kodal, Aalborg
Anders Koch, Esbjerg
Anders Krogsgaard, Esbjerg
Ludvig Adamsen, Surrey Eagles (NA)
Jeppe Vinther, Esbjerg
Morten Jensen, Rögle (SWE)
Mathias Røndbjerg, Rungsted
Nicolai Weichel, Rungsted
Oliver Gatz, Aalborg
Nikolaj Carstensen, SønderjyskE

Forwards
Nikolaj Ehlers, Winnipeg Jets (NA)
Alexander True, Seattle Thunderbirds (NA)
Søren Nielsen, Esbjerg
Marcus Jensen, Herning
Nikolaj Krag Christensen, Rødovre
Andreas Grundtvig, Rødovre
Mathias From, Rögle (SWE)
Thomas Olsen, Malmö (SWE)
Kristian Jensen, Luleå (SWE)
William Boysen, Rungsted
Jonas Røndbjerg, Rungsted
Frederik Rasmussen, SønderjyskE
Frederik Høeg, Odense
Oliver Anker Christensen, Aalborg
Sebastian Brinkmann, Aalborg
Jeppe Jul Korsgaard, Aalborg
Mathias Klüssmann, Gentofte
Gorm Topholt, Frederikshavn

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
He could have been a possibility even though he is still a U18 player, but I would probably have chosen other U18 players like Jacob Schmidt-Svejstrup or Daniel Nielsen before him and they are not on the roster either.

Thanks for the list Valdemar!

Yeah so we skip the 1998 players and fix them on the U18 roster and go straight for 1999-born Jonas Røndbjerg :yo:

So the U20 looks good in goal (Lilie and Munk Petersen), Ok in defense (though still better than usual Danish U20 teams) and forward wise a lot will off course hang on Ehlers, but with a good supporting cast next to him! [Hope Alexander True can break out in WHL this year]. Depth might be somewhat thin, but it is always like that!
Interesting if Jonas Røndbjerg will be deemed good enough as 16 years old, but he has decent size already!

Danmark

May 5, 2014
Niklas Andersen(Spokane, WHL) and Jeppe Holmberg(Esbjerg, Metal) is the most surprising missing for me. Andreas Grundtvig and Mathias Klussman is the most surprising players in the squad for me.

I think Jonas Røndbjerg will be in the squad.

Valdemar

Danish junior hockey
Oct 6, 2007
Niklas Andersen (Spokane, WHL) and Jeppe Holmberg(Esbjerg, Metal) is the most surprising missing for me. Andreas Grundtvig and Mathias Klussman is the most surprising players in the squad for me.

I think Jonas Røndbjerg will be in the squad.

Yes, it is also surprising for me that Niklas and Jeppe are missing. Niklas was elected Rookie of the year 2014/15 in the best Danish league, and should be on the preliminary roster, but I believe he is "punished" by DIU because he chose to play for his team Esbjerg in the playoff final series instead of participating in the U18 WJC D1.

I cannot evaluate if it is fair that Andreas Grundtvig and Mathias Klussman are on the roster, but Andreas Grundtvig, Jonas Røndbjerg and Lucas Andersen are heads and shoulders above the rest of the 1999 born prospects.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
Kristian Jensen has been rented out to Piteå who plays in 1. division. Good move in my opinion. I bet he will get lots of ice time there which is what was worrying in Luleå.

About our squad in general. Am I the only one that actually thinks this team look better on paper? I know Ehlers is most likely not going to be with them, but still it seems more homogenic than last year. Besides Ehlers there might not be any big stars, but I see tons of talent on this team where it was only Bjorkstrand and Ehlers last year.

Danmark

May 5, 2014
The roster against Belarus, Latvia and Austria:

Goalies:
Thomas Lillie, Växjö

Backs:
Matias Lassen, Leksand Stars
Oliver Gatz Nielsen, Aalborg Pirates
Kristian Kodal, Aalborg Pirates
Anders Krogsgaard, Esbjerg Energy
Jeppe Vinther, Esbjerg Energy
Lasse Bo Knudsen, Aalborg Pirates
Morten Jensen, Rögle
Nicolai Weichel, Rungsted Ishockey

Forwards:
Jonas Røndbjerg, Rungsted Ishockey
Søren Nielsen, Esbjerg Energy
Marcus Jensen, Herning Blue Fox
Nikolaj Krag-Christensen, Rødovre Mighty Bulls
Mathias From, Rögle
Thomas Olsen, Malmö Redhawks
Jeppe Holmberg, Esbjerg Energy
Kristian Jensen, Luleå
William Boysen, Rungsted Ishockey
Emil Oliver Christensen, Rødovre Mighty Bulls

http://icehockeydenmark.com/1883-2/

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
The roster against Belarus, Latvia and Austria:

Goalies:
Thomas Lillie, Växjö

Backs:
Matias Lassen, Leksand Stars
Oliver Gatz Nielsen, Aalborg Pirates
Kristian Kodal, Aalborg Pirates
Anders Krogsgaard, Esbjerg Energy
Jeppe Vinther, Esbjerg Energy
Lasse Bo Knudsen, Aalborg Pirates
Morten Jensen, Rögle
Nicolai Weichel, Rungsted Ishockey

Forwards:
Jonas Røndbjerg, Rungsted Ishockey
Søren Nielsen, Esbjerg Energy
Marcus Jensen, Herning Blue Fox
Nikolaj Krag-Christensen, Rødovre Mighty Bulls
Mathias From, Rögle
Thomas Olsen, Malmö Redhawks
Jeppe Holmberg, Esbjerg Energy
Kristian Jensen, Luleå
William Boysen, Rungsted Ishockey
Emil Oliver Christensen, Rødovre Mighty Bulls

http://icehockeydenmark.com/1883-2/

Will be interesting to see how well they perform.
Will this good-looking roster on paper achieve my expectations?
With Lillie in goal, some good promising d-men and solid group of forwards (and especially interesting to see Røndbjerg), there is no obvious weaknesses.

Danmark

May 5, 2014
Will be interesting to see how well they perform.
Will this good-looking roster on paper achieve my expectations?
With Lillie in goal, some good promising d-men and solid group of forwards (and especially interesting to see Røndbjerg), there is no obvious weaknesses.

Agree - The depth in this years roster is very good, in danish perspective, but we lack high end talent if Ehlers is in the NHL, at that moment.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Not having my finger on the pulse on most of these players... Where's the goals gonna come from? Who's the top end offensive players on this team?

Danmark

May 5, 2014
Not having my finger on the pulse on most of these players... Where's the goals gonna come from? Who's the top end offensive players on this team?

I think Mathias From is going to surprise, but the team doesn't have a Bjorkstrand - I think it gonna be tough for the team to get the goals needed, but the D looks strong.

Heia Norge

Mar 14, 2012
Norway
So how do you guys consider the Danish U20 team this year?

It’s going to be more difficult without Ehlers and Bjørkstrand perhaps? But, do the team still have the quality to stay up?

(Or will Ehlers be released from Winnipeg roster to participate?)

Denmark is going to play a key game already in the first round against Switzerland on December the 27st

I think that if Denmark can beat the Swizz in the first game, then Denmark will stay up. If not, it’s likely the team will face Belarus in relegation round.

I don’t know much about the Belarusian team this year, but last year they totally destroyed all resistance in the Div 1A, if Denmark face this team I still think it will be some close and evenly played games. I think the Danish team have a good chance to win the overall 3 game relegation series.

andersej

Jul 16, 2009
Copenhagen
We can always hope that Belarus pulls a WJC classic: Needing the strongest possible team of 19-year-olds to gain promotion and then having to ice a weaker team of younger, unproven players the following year in the top flight...

Looks like only 3 returnees on the Belarus team from last season, and none of the impact players as far as I can see. Denmark has 7 players returning from last season's championships.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad