Prospect Info: U-20 Tournament (Several Hab Prospects Involved)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm no Grant, but my personal reserves with DLR's offensive game is rather about his creativity than his talent/hands. He's a pretty straight-forward attacker. Which is not a bad thing in itself, because that's the type of offensive game that is lacking on the Habs, and in their pipeline.

the goals I've seen him score look like goal scorer's goals to my uninformed eyes. I like the Eller/Patches hybrid comparisons. He doubtfully becomes a 30 goal guy but then again, Patches didn't look like one either at that age. Really really like what i see from him so far.

JonathanToews19clutc*

We can compare Jacob de la Rose to David Backes of St.Louis Blues?

Last edited by a moderator:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Nice play, good finish by DLR.

any vid of the goal?

Pronman likes players with skill, regardless of how flashy they are, and that's why his praise of DLR and McCarron has been very welcome.

Really, the only thing to not like about DLR is that some of the players we passed on arguably have more upside. But more than anyone else we drafted over the past two years except Galchenyuk, that's one I'd be the most surprised about if he doesn't make the NHL.

agree. I wanted DLR but I was initially quite shocked we took him instead of Zykov but otherwise you're dead on about him being a lock.

DLR goes 0-1 in the SO, had a decent move but the goalie got a part of it.

Lehkonen goes 1-3, what a snipe on the goal, the announcer said over the shoulder but he fired it so fast Im not sure. On one that he missed he tried to turn around and then quickly turn back just inside the offensive blueline but it didn't work, too bad as it would have likely been a beauty had he pulled it off.

Overall in the games I saw (didn't see any of Canada's games), impressed with what I saw from McCarron, DLR, Collberg and Lehkonen. Going to be a lot of fun watching them all this year, can't wait for the WJCs to get here.

how would you rank them solely from what you've seen at this tourney? Collberg, Lehkonen, DLR, then Mac?

Hearing that Mr. Crisp has stated that Timmins will not regret drafting him, goes a long way in my books. Having a more than truculent past myself, it's been a pleasure to know many men that are true to their word. As it seems Connor's adept at positional play and deflecting the puck at the net already, his skating is improving, this from no less judge of talent than TT. I'm a betting man, imagine... and Mr. Crisp will most certainly give 100% effort to keep his word to a man that has shown faith in his ability. So the lineup starts here, either put up or shut the F... up, thanks for the money all donations are appreciated.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

when Crisp tweeted that I immediately thought of PK saying that to Gainey at the draft. Couldn't help but get more excited about him after that. Looking forward to see how he progresses.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'd say the concerns for his offensive game are probably the same that some people had for Eller before he blossomed this season offensively. Some of those concerns may be about his lack of vision or finishing plays.

Eller never really had those problems. He was playing with the crappiest players we could possibly give him and when he gelled with Moen and Kostitsyn we broke them up because I guess we didn't want to increase their contract value. They outplayed the Patches-DD-Cole line a ton of times. Constantly placing him in crap situations killed his confidence.

samsquanch9*

sorry to bump this thread but does anyone know of a list of all the stats leaders from the tournament? and not just canadas

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If you would allow me to have my own personal input (one which is not particularly qualified), I find De La Rose's offensive game is less an issue of shortcomings rather than an issue of noteworthy strengths. His speed, defensive play/"IQ", frame and effort are his strengths, while none of his offensive skills ever stood out to me while watching him in various tournaments. Where I think he will be good on offense is forechecking and cycling, so in that sense I think he has value no matter where you put him in the line-up. Thus far I do not see a natural creator nor finisher in him, which is fine since De La Rose would not be there at 34 if he was either of those two at this point.

I'm a fan of De La Rose and was thrilled when Montreal got him. I truly believe he only needs one more year in the SEL before lacing them up in North America, hopefully as a Hab.

that seems like a good way to sum up DLR.

how would you rank them solely from what you've seen at this tourney? Collberg, Lehkonen, DLR, then Mac?

Collberg
Lehkonen
McCarron
DLR

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
We can compare Jacob de la Rose to David Backes of St.Louis Blues?

Sorry I just don't see it. Not yet anyway.

Lastwordonsports made that comparison and I still don't agree with it.

I'm also not fond of comparisons period, I prefer to look at their attributes and how they play the game, then project them in a role on the team of some sort.

Kind of why I didn't like the "McCarron = Lucic" logic, there is only one Lucic, just like there is only one Backes.

For me Backes has higher offensive upside, DLR has the nasty feisty side, he also plays with a lot of energy and is quite decent size though I personally wouldn't mind if he put on some muscle to make him that much better.

He's definitely got hands, but to say he's the next Backes is a stretch at best. Like many others I'm concerned about his offensive upside, I really hope he gets a bigger role with Leksand this season.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I still don't understand how Lucas Wallmark went undrafted this year.

What's your take on him? Asked about Wallmark earlier but couldn't get an answer. I had hopes the Habs might take him since he played with Nystrom a bit this year. Or maybe that's why they chose to go a different route.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
What's your take on him? Asked about Wallmark earlier but couldn't get an answer. I had hopes the Habs might take him since he played with Nystrom a bit this year. Or maybe that's why they chose to go a different route.

Teams more than likely were worried about the lack of speed for a player his size but he's a talented center. Smart with good vision, passing skills and a solid 2-way game.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
That's awesome seing as De La Rose actually looked good in the tournament.

well all the Hab prospects I saw except Vail looked very good. The good thing for DLR is he'll be back at it again in 2015, like Collberg he should be a 3 timer to the wjc's.

With regard to DLR, will he play centre or wing in the NHL ?

In this tournament they were moving him between C and LW constantly, so it looks like he can fit at either. We'll see how his progression goes over the next couple of years to see where he will fit better.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011

That's really awesome 3 of our prospects finished in the top 10 in scoring...I know that is a long way from the NHL....but it gives me hope

19 Teuvo Teräväinen FIN 5 3 5 8 1 0 0 0 4.0 0
28 Artturi Lehkonen FIN 5 5 1 6 3 0 0 0 0.0 0 :handclap:
18 André Burakowsky SWE 5 3 2 5 3 0 0 0 0.0 0
24 Will Butcher USABLU 2 2 2 4 0 0 0 0 0.0 0
11 Brendan Gaunce CAN 2 1 3 4 0 0 0 0 4.0 1
2 Olli Määttä FIN 3 0 4 4 0 0 0 0 2.0 0
4 Christian Djoos SWE 5 1 3 4 0 0 0 0 2.0 0
9 Jacob de la Rose SWE 5 2 2 4 1 0 0 0 8.0 0 :handclap:
10 Alexander Wennberg SWE 5 1 3 4 1 0 0 0 0.0 1
15 Sebastian Collberg SWE 2 2 2 4 2 0 0 0 0.0 0 :handclap:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Teams more than likely were worried about the lack of speed for a player his size but he's a talented center. Smart with good vision, passing skills and a solid 2-way game.

did you see him at all at the Lake Placid games?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
That's really awesome 3 of our prospects finished in the top 10 in scoring...I know that is a long way from the NHL....but it gives me hope

19 Teuvo Teräväinen FIN 5 3 5 8 1 0 0 0 4.0 0
28 Artturi Lehkonen FIN 5 5 1 6 3 0 0 0 0.0 0 :handclap:
18 André Burakowsky SWE 5 3 2 5 3 0 0 0 0.0 0
24 Will Butcher USABLU 2 2 2 4 0 0 0 0 0.0 0
11 Brendan Gaunce CAN 2 1 3 4 0 0 0 0 4.0 1
2 Olli Määttä FIN 3 0 4 4 0 0 0 0 2.0 0
4 Christian Djoos SWE 5 1 3 4 0 0 0 0 2.0 0
9 Jacob de la Rose SWE 5 2 2 4 1 0 0 0 8.0 0 :handclap:
10 Alexander Wennberg SWE 5 1 3 4 1 0 0 0 0.0 1
15 Sebastian Collberg SWE 2 2 2 4 2 0 0 0 0.0 0 :handclap:

Sad thing is I could have definitely seen Collberg taking that tournament points lead from Teuvo had he not gotten injured :(

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Sad thing is I could have definitely seen Collberg taking that tournament points lead from Teuvo had he not gotten injured :(

Does it matter really? This whole board knows that Collberg is on Trravainen's level anyday of the week. In 2, 3 years he is gojng to be one of the biggest steals of the 2012 drafts. Bergevin salivates everytime he talks about him and you know they are going to give him every opportunity to succeed in the NHL.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Does it matter really? This whole board knows that Collberg is on Trravainen's level anyday of the week. In 2, 3 years he is gojng to be one of the biggest steals of the 2012 drafts. Bergevin salivates everytime he talks about him and you know they are going to give him every opportunity to succeed in the NHL.

Sure, but the experience would have been good for him, and fun for us, too. off season is brutal.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Does that mean he's surpassed TT in terms of upside?

Yo, TT is Trevor Timmins, it's not rocket science to write Teravainen. So confusing..

Anyways, Collberg is a sniper while Teravainen is a dynamic forward with great playmaking skills. It's hard to figure out which one of the 2 who's skills will translate easier in the NHL. If Teravainen keeps developing the way he is, he'll make Hossa's departure easy to swallow in a couple seasons. Flames fans seem to have struck good with Sven Baertschi who is a good comparable IMO.

Last edited:

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Yo, TT is Trevor Timmins, it's not rocket science to write TeravInen. So confusing..

Anyways, Collberg is a sniper while Teravainen is a dynamic forward with great playmaking skills. It's hard to figure out which one of the 2 who's skills will translate easier in the NHL. If Teravainene keeps developing the way he is, he'll make Hossa's departure easy to swallow in a couple seasons. Flames fans seem to have struck good with Sven Baertschi who is a good comparable IMO.

Apparently it is rocket science :laugh: three variations of Teravainen in three sentences;)

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Yo, TT is Trevor Timmins, it's not rocket science to write TeravInen. So confusing..

Anyways, Collberg is a sniper while Teravainen is a dynamic forward with great playmaking skills. It's hard to figure out which one of the 2 who's skills will translate easier in the NHL. If Teravainene keeps developing the way he is, he'll make Hossa's departure easy to swallow in a couple seasons. Flames fans seem to have struck good with Sven Baertschi who is a good comparable IMO.

Tera who? I want to know if Collberg will be a better hockey player than Trevor Timmins will be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad