Prospect Info: U-20 Tournament (Several Hab Prospects Involved)

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You look at the US lineup and it's fairly easy to think that this could look like a final lineup for them.

Stoneburg

Mar 21, 2004
Fishing
I understand that this is the first year Canada has participated in this tourney, but is it held every year in Lake Placid, or does the location change?

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
You look at the US lineup and it's fairly easy to think that this could look like a final lineup for them.

Coach is on record saying some guys that are sitting out will be on the team. Only makes sense that some guys on the outside of the bubble are getting a final chance to impress. I think he's already made up his mind on Mac...in the positive.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Coach is on record saying some guys that are sitting out will be on the team. Only makes sense that some guys on the outside of the bubble are getting a final chance to impress. I think he's already made up his mind on Mac...in the positive.

I know. But while it's only one game, them dominating the way they do now is really tough to not look at. From the people there...did he do enough?

Anyway, I am a believer that it's not the end. He does great in the start of the season and he is a factor. Just that by looking at this lineup, it looks strong...and is proving it. But it is just 1 game. I know.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I understand that this is the first year Canada has participated in this tourney, but is it held every year in Lake Placid, or does the location change?

Held every year in Lake Placid.

That's a 4th point in 5 games for DLR (5th one ongoing now). Re-assuring to see him produce offence against some quality competition.

Legend007

Jan 25, 2008
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

In first really liked De La Rose (MTL). Also liked Saros (NSH), Wennberg (CBJ), Karlsson (CAR), Djoos/Burakowsky (WSH), Arnesson (BOS).

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
When you consider Pronman usually loves the skilled and flashy players more than players of DLR's style, that's pretty telling praise.

Last edited:

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Pronman likes players with skill, regardless of how flashy they are, and that's why his praise of DLR and McCarron has been very welcome.

Really, the only thing to not like about DLR is that some of the players we passed on arguably have more upside. But more than anyone else we drafted over the past two years except Galchenyuk, that's one I'd be the most surprised about if he doesn't make the NHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
DLR also ringed one off the post before the goal. Looks good so far.

Is he coming to the Habs camp?

I thought he had a contract in SHL for another year.
But he also signed an ELC with us.

Can he go to AHL?

I wouldn't expect him to be there. He's under contract with Frolunda for one more season, his contract with the Habs will slid since he's junior aged. He can go to the AHL at any time once his contract w/Frolunda ends.

Anyone know why Vail was let go? I thought he was a lock to make the US team. Might he have had a minor injury and they sent him home knowing he was a lock and wanted to evaluate other fringe players in his position? I'm guessing and grasping because I want all the Habs age appropriate prospects in the WJHC.

Vail wasn't a lock but I did expect him to make it, now he's going to need some kind of start to the season in order to get invited to the winter camp imo.

The problem is that there are similar players to him in the NCAA, and we all know how USA Hockey love their College kids.

USA tends to favor kids from the USNDTP, which most of them end up in the NCAA. Here's how it looks for all the USA kids that Timmins has picked.

2003- none
2004- J T Wyman (USHS, NCAA, no wjc's)
2005- none
2006- Daivd Fischer (USHS, NCAA, no wjc's), Cameron Cepek (WHL, no wjc's)
2007- Ryan McDonagh (USHS, NCAA, 1 wjc), Max Pacioretty (USHS, USHL, NCAA, 1 wjc), Joe Stejskal (USHS, NCAA, no wjc's), Andrew Conboy (NAHL, USHL, NCAA, no wjc's), Scott Kishel (USHS, NCAA, no wjc's)
2008- Danny Kristo (USHS, USNDTP, NCAA, 2 wjc's), Steve Quailer (USHS, USHL, NCAA, no wjc's), Patrick Johnson (USHL, NCAA, no wjc's)
2009- Mac Bennett (USHS, USHL, NCAA, no wjc's), Mike Cichy (USHS, USHL, NCAA, no wjc's)
2010- Jarred Tinordi (USNDTP, OHL, 1 wjc)
2011- Josiah Didier (USHS, USHL, NCAA, no wjc's), Colin Sullivan (USHS, NCAA, no wjc's)
2012- none
2013- Mike McCarron (USHS, USNDTP, OHL),

yes every year it's held at Lake Placid.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
It seems that TT and company drafted some pretty good young talent this past draft. De La Rose looks great from all reports.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
DLR goes 0-1 in the SO, had a decent move but the goalie got a part of it.

Lehkonen goes 1-3, what a snipe on the goal, the announcer said over the shoulder but he fired it so fast Im not sure. On one that he missed he tried to turn around and then quickly turn back just inside the offensive blueline but it didn't work, too bad as it would have likely been a beauty had he pulled it off.

Overall in the games I saw (didn't see any of Canada's games), impressed with what I saw from McCarron, DLR, Collberg and Lehkonen. Going to be a lot of fun watching them all this year, can't wait for the WJCs to get here.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

DLR goes 0-1 in the SO, had a decent move but the goalie got a part of it.

Lehkonen goes 1-3, what a snipe on the goal, the announcer said over the shoulder but he fired it so fast Im not sure. On one that he missed he tried to turn around and then quickly turn back just inside the offensive blueline but it didn't work, too bad as it would have likely been a beauty had he pulled it off.

Overall in the games I saw (didn't see any of Canada's games), impressed with what I saw from McCarron, DLR, Collberg and Lehkonen. Going to be a lot of fun watching them all this year, can't wait for the WJCs to get here.

Surprised JDLR was use in a shoutout considering he 'doesn't have hands'.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Surprised JDLR was use in a shoutout considering he 'doesn't have hands'.

His hands are okay - he's no Drouin, but he can handle the puck. There were some questions about his offensive upside, but not because he has terrible hands.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
His hands are okay - he's no Drouin, but he can handle the puck. There were some questions about his offensive upside, but not because he has terrible hands.

As always Grant, we are happy tip have your input.

Can you please elaborate on his perceived offensive shortcomings?

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

If you would allow me to have my own personal input (one which is not particularly qualified), I find De La Rose's offensive game is less an issue of shortcomings rather than an issue of noteworthy strengths. His speed, defensive play/"IQ", frame and effort are his strengths, while none of his offensive skills ever stood out to me while watching him in various tournaments. Where I think he will be good on offense is forechecking and cycling, so in that sense I think he has value no matter where you put him in the line-up. Thus far I do not see a natural creator nor finisher in him, which is fine since De La Rose would not be there at 34 if he was either of those two at this point.

I'm a fan of De La Rose and was thrilled when Montreal got him. I truly believe he only needs one more year in the SEL before lacing them up in North America, hopefully as a Hab.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

I'd say the concerns for his offensive game are probably the same that some people had for Eller before he blossomed this season offensively. Some of those concerns may be about his lack of vision or finishing plays.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

I'm no Grant, but my personal reserves with DLR's offensive game is rather about his creativity than his talent/hands. He's a pretty straight-forward attacker. Which is not a bad thing in itself, because that's the type of offensive game that is lacking on the Habs, and in their pipeline.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad