GDT: U-18 WJC Day 3 games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unkki

Dec 23, 2009
Yeah, Kulmala 4-2. Nice game by these TPS-juniors, Kulmala & Lehkonen.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Älä huoli minun kansani. Tapaamme Gold Medal Game, ja sitten me kaikki juhlimme Kanadan voittoon Chymos Lakkalikööri :yo:

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
This thread was appropriate before this match. Now there is a discussion about karjalanpiirakka...

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I really liked number 8 Joonas Huovinen. Made some couple rushes. Don't know much about him. Whats he's potential?

Leehh

Oct 8, 2011
Austria
Who is this kids
Oh my god look at those hands
He's the next Datsyuk
Is that even possible, head up and he stickhandles like that

Just a few.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
It's not the Russian way! :rant:

Seriously, they never seem to learn. :shakehead :laugh:

As a Russian fan, this was one of the most pathetic efforts by a Russian team that I have seen in a long time. Not to take away from the Germans, who were faster, stronger, and hungrier, fully deserving the win. From my eyes, the Russians were nonchalant, disinterested, disorganized, and unwilling to do what was necessary to try to challenge the Germans. Their passes were lazy and errant, and those who were the recipients of passes failed to bear down and too often let the puck roll off of their stick. The German team clearly had a game plan, while the Russians wandered around as if they were lost in the forest. If they play like they did today, Latvia may turn out to be Russia's only victim in this tournament. Hard to see the team in Red out there today beating the US, Sweden, Finland, Canada or the Czechs. You can't win without leaders and good players, and Russia appears to have a shortage in both categories.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
As a Russian fan, this was one of the most pathetic efforts by a Russian team that I have seen in a long time. Not to take away from the Germans, who were faster, stronger, and hungrier, fully deserving the win. From my eyes, the Russians were nonchalant, disinterested, disorganized, and unwilling to do what was necessary to try to challenge the Germans. Their passes were lazy and errant, and those who were the recipients of passes failed to bear down and too often let the puck roll off of their stick. The German team clearly had a game plan, while the Russians wandered around as if they were lost in the forest. If they play like they did today, Latvia may turn out to be Russia's only victim in this tournament. Hard to see the team in Red out there today beating the US, Sweden, Finland, Canada or the Czechs. You can't win without leaders and good players, and Russia appears to have a shortage in both categories.

ok, but this still doesn't explain why they didn't pull the goalie when they could. it really surprised me, looked like the coach isn't even trying to pretend he cares about the result.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
ok, but this still doesn't explain why they didn't pull the goalie when they could. it really surprised me, looked like the coach isn't even trying to pretend he cares about the result.

I don't know what was going on in his mind, but my guess is, as crazy as this may seem, there has been a tendency among Russian coaches going back to Soviet times of being unwilling to take risks. What is the risk, you might ask, when they are already down by two goals with only a short time left? Of giving up an empty net goal and increasing the margin of defeat. That, and also the fact that Russian teams don't generally have a last minute, "crash the nets" style that would be necessary to cash in on the man advantage. That is my guess.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Just curious if anybody watched the US game?

I wasn't able to wake up at 7am to manage it. Curious for a report.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Re : Canada's loss to the Fins

After almost a decade of producing an abundance of great young hockey players Canada has hit a lull. Looks like only 4 Canadian kids will be taken in the Top 10 of the draft. Usually it is closer to 6 or 7 and most are Top 5. Oh well, things will get better.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

Just as a postscript, it made some difference during the days when goal differential was among the deciding facts on advancing and relegation. With OT, goal differential is no longer that important.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

After almost a decade of producing an abundance of great young hockey players Canada has hit a lull. Looks like only 4 Canadian kids will be taken in the Top 10 of the draft. Usually it is closer to 6 or 7 and most are Top 5. Oh well, things will get better.

Hockey is always cyclical. Sometimes, you have a great time, then sometimes thing tail off a bit.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Seems a bit harsh considering the last four top overall picks have been Canadian (2007 I believe was the last non Canadian at the top) and Canada has had #2 in 2 of four of those years (-08, 10) and #3 in all of them (08,09,10,11) and might have the early favorite for #1 in 2013.

And I get excited about having 10 late first rounders.

:bow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad