Confirmed with Link: Tyson Barrie re-signs for 4 years, 5.5M AAV

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The latest I've seen is literally a suggestion from a Van beat writer. If that's all that's takes to qualify for a rumor now then I give up. People can't even bother to make up an actual rumor and float it now. and then it becomes a headline.

It was around before the draft, but the rumor around it is that Vancouver talked with the Avs about Landy, offered up Tanev, and the talks never really went anywhere. The Canucks would love to have Landy.

Simply put, the Avs are not giving up Landy for anything short of a King's ransom.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It was around before the draft, but the rumor around it is that Vancouver talked with the Avs about Landy, offered up Tanev, and the talks never really went anywhere. The Canucks would love to have Landy.

Simply put, the Avs are not giving up Landy for anything short of a King's ransom.

Not surprising, Benning would give up a whole team for a player like Landy.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Good interview. Barrie kind of sounded rattled when talking about puck possession and corsi.

I did like how he put it on the coaches to make adjustments and fix it. They haven't done so in three years but maybe next season.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Maybe Newport didn't drag out the Corsi to pump up Barrie. There's a similar interview on altitude 950 too btw.

I know he can't say much about the arbitration but nobody really tried to ask why he finally signed.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Maybe Newport didn't drag out the Corsi to pump up Barrie. There's a similar interview on altitude 950 too btw.

I know he can't say much about the arbitration but nobody really tried to ask why he finally signed.

I'm not sure he'd give much of a different answer. He seemed extremely hesitant to answer the question of what the details were on Vancouver radio.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
He has no reason to give out that info, honestly, and we know the Avs' lips will be sealed on the subject. I think we're just going to have to speculate forever on that one unless some reporter gets a scoop, and even then you have to take those with a grain of salt.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
5.5 is solid but 4 years kinda sucks. Its not bad or anything just wished it would have been longer even if it meant a larger cap hit. Kinda nice that for a few years there is no need to worry about contracts for key players :)

The offseason has been good, I'll give it a solid B. Resignings were very good. Got rid of some crap in Berra, Stuart etc. Did ok in free agency, no bad or long contracts. Not gona judge the draft since I haven't really seen any of the guys picked play other than from YouTube :laugh: Purely looking at the numbers and scouting reports the Anderson pick doesn't look that great and wish they picked more D with puck skills, possibly with the 2nd rounder. Its also great that for once they are taking the AHL seriously. Veilleux seems like a good hire and they signed some good players for the AHL level.

The only thing keeping the offseason from an A is that Roy and his staff are still here. The Pratt signing seems promising but other than that I feel that the coaches should have been let go, all of them except Allaire. Also we didn't have any trades or signings which were tremendous and to me in order to get an A there kinda has to be, so B it is.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
What does one have to do with the other? If anything, we need to trade for defense less now. It's like the media think the Avs can only have only 3 good younger players at once. If we have 4, we must trade one for magic beans.

God help us if Rantanen has a solid year.

Or give them up for magic beans? :dunno:

Things I found interesting in the Barrie interview:

He called Sakic out for telling players he'd keep them but ended up trading them later on

He called out the coaching staff for poor puck possession

------------------------------------
Roy should be given the boot before another star player on this team is given away. We've have two coaches, Joe Sacco and Patrick Roy. Would be nice to get a coach with some experience before giving up on all these star players. I really wouldn't mind seeing Landeskog traded, but we have no good forwards. No point of trading him

Last edited:

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
What does one have to do with the other?

Yeah, I was just going to post this. Now that one young player signs, another has to leave? :huh:

Perhaps it has something to do with with so many good young players on an unsuccessful team, hence it must be blown up. Or something. And there might be some truth to that. If the Avs happen to finish bottom third again, then this topic is not going to go away.

I'm at least hoping that the trade forum takes a break in regards to Avs players. If someone came onto this site and only read that forum, they would walk away with full knowledge that every single last Avs player under 25 outright sucks.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Or give them up for magic beans? :dunno:

Things I found interesting in the Barrie interview:

He called Sakic out for telling players he'd keep them but ended up trading them later on

He called out the coaching staff for poor puck possession

------------------------------------
Roy should be given the boot before another star player on this team is given away. We've have two coaches, Joe Sacco and Patrick Roy. Would be nice to get a coach with some experience before giving up on all these star players. I really wouldn't mind seeing Landeskog traded, but we have no good forwards. not much of a point

That's false. He said "it wouldn't be the first time a GM said he wasn't being traded and got traded." That was more so in reference to nature of so called 'protection' in hockey. See PK Subban.

With regards to calling out the coaching staff, I believe he did as well. I think some of the players could questioning Roy at this point. Barrie certainly is. Roy has a lot of work to do this summer.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I am glad Barrie is back. I truly believe he'll be around most of the contract unless someone really steps up and plays a similar game. I really hope they don't move Landy either. The D isn't perfect but is finally starting to shape up. The offense is going to start to shape up with Rantanen and Compher coming in. The depth is only going to increase a bit more with prospects with the drafting seemingly improving.

I hope they just ride the wave. If they trade anyone I personally hope it's Varly.

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
That's false. He said "it wouldn't be the first time a GM said he wasn't being traded and got traded." That was more so in reference to nature of so called 'protection' in hockey. See PK Subban.

With regards to calling out the coaching staff, I believe he did as well. I think some of the players could questioning Roy at this point. Barrie certainly is. Roy has a lot of work to do this summer.

Yeah, re-listened to it. When he said players it sounded like he was talking about all players. But it was literally right after he mentioned Sakic

It should be playoffs or bust for him

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
We actually have a decent looking prospect pool at the moment - all of Rantanen, Compher and Jost look like serious studs at their respective levels and positions, and if Zadorov and Meloche turn out the same we could be in great shape.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Yeah, re-listened to it. When he said players it sounded like he was talking about all players. But it was literally right after he mentioned Sakic

It should be playoffs or bust for him

He said sakic told him he wasn't going to be traded. Then a general comment but I do believe it was general and not a dig at Sakic.

On the puck possession, he didn't bring it up, no? The hosts did. He did say it's on the coaching staff to figure it out.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Barrie was just deferring to the coaching staff about the question on how to fix the puck possession numbers. It wasn't an indictment of the job they've done. No player is going to go over his coach's head in an interview and start throwing out his own ideas of how they need to play, and what they need to change.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Barrie was just deferring to the coaching staff about the question on how to fix the puck possession numbers. It wasn't an indictment of the job they've done. No player is going to go over his coach's head in an interview and start throwing out his own ideas of how they need to play, and what they need to change.

Jaromir Jagr. Lol.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
So I was at a bar tonight. Saw a guy with a avalanche hoodie and decided to chat him up. Asked what he thought about the Barrie signing and he basically had the position that we paid too much for a defenseman that Patrick Roy thought was our number 5 defenseman.

That's how far that rumor went. After talking to his friends he wasn't alone, and yet talking to what seem to be fairly educated fans in a Denver bar and this is what they believe. Wtf?

I swear sometimes living here is a joke when it comes to the avs. It didn't use to be like this. You talk to any educated, or seemingly educated fan on the Broncos or Rockies and people seem fairly in the know and reasonable. You talk about the avs and they have no ****ing clue. It's not their fault, this is the stuff our sources publish.

Not having a beat writer to educate the lay man or Internet ****** is starting to become a serious disease in this city. I don't base this off this one conversation or series of conversations tonight, but on many conversations with many fans over the last year. Even after the Red Wings game last year for the winter classic. People who were at the game, and who are fairly clueless when it comes to the business side of the business.

Sorry just had to share. So sad

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
So I was at a bar tonight. Saw a guy with a avalanche hoodie and decided to chat him up. Asked what he thought about the Barrie signing and he basically had the position that we paid too much for a defenseman that Patrick Roy thought was our number 5 defenseman.

That's how far that rumor went. After talking to his friends he wasn't alone, and yet talking to what seem to be fairly educated fans in a Denver bar and this is what they believe. Wtf?

I swear sometimes living here is a joke when it comes to the avs. It didn't use to be like this. You talk to any educated, or seemingly educated fan on the Broncos or Rockies and people seem fairly in the know and reasonable. You talk about the avs and they have no ****ing clue. It's not their fault, this is the stuff our sources publish.

Not having a beat writer to educate the lay man or Internet ****** is starting to become a serious disease in this city. I don't base this off this one conversation or series of conversations tonight, but on many conversations with many fans over the last year. Even after the Red Wings game last year for the winter classic. People who were at the game, and who are fairly clueless when it comes to the business side of the business.

Sorry just had to share. So sad

That's the damage the national media narratives do. It originated from Frei but they were the ones pumping it. It is very sad and to fight against it is like yelling into the wind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad