Player Discussion Tyson Barrie II: To Extend or Not to extend? At What Price/Term?

Extend Barrie or Walk Away? If Extend, At What Cost?

• Total voters

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Barrie was a great fit. If we didn't have Bouchard coming up, it would make sense to sign him to term.

But If you an opportunity to upgrade a position, which there is in Hamilton being a FA, I would want to pay a bit more to sign.

RD would look like if this would happen:
Hamilton
Larsson
Bear
Bouchard

One of Bouchard and Bear would have to be traded. You should be able to get a very good player to fill a need for the team.

Our RD would be set for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I am still firmly in the retain Barrie as #1 priority camp (very small camp on here).

I will say one thing if he does not return Bouchard had better friggin be pencilled in for that roll. I see a lot of suggestions that we can let Barrie go because we have Bouchard ready to go. I do not have a whole heck of a lot of confidence that the oilers brain trust and coaches will stick him in that spot right away.

Last edited:

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I am still firmly in the retain Barrie as #1 priority camp (very small camp on here).

I will say one thing if he does not return Bouchard had better friggin be pencilled in for that roll. I see a lot of suggestions that we can let Barrie go because we have Bouchard ready to go. I do not have a whole heck of a lot of confidence that the oilers rain trust and coaches will stick him in that spot right away.
Nor should they, Bouchard will have to earn Barrie’s role,Bouchard needs to play though and if Larsson is coming back you have to cut bait on either Barrie or Bouchard, and Bouchard will be cost controlled at least. People arguing that you keep Barrie and play Bouchard doesn’t make much sense. As we seen Tippett sit Bouchard majority of the year because of that set up.

If Barrie is let go and Klefbom doesn’t return your looking at

Nurse-Bear/Bouchard
UFA/Trade-Larsson
Russel/Jones-Bear/Bouchard

The issue with running a right side of Barrie-Larsson-Bouchard, is you now have 2 players that need protected offensive minutes in Barrie and Bouchard on the right side. Not to mention neither of those 2 are relied on to play PK, something both Larsson and Bear do.

Having 2 offensive defensemen with similar skill sets on the back end, not to mention one you likely have to pay over 6M for, doesn’t make much sense.

As I highlighted above your likely better off putting that money into a LD at 5/6M or going after a Seth Jones where he at least brings more two way ability.

Either way I didn’t bump this thread to redo this discussion altogether again, just wanted to share some highlights from his recent interview.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Nor should they, Bouchard will have to earn Barrie’s role,Bouchard needs to play though and if Larsson is coming back you have to cut bait on either Barrie or Bouchard, and Bouchard will be cost controlled at least. People arguing that you keep Barrie and play Bouchard doesn’t make much sense. As we seen Tippett sit Bouchard majority of the year because of that set up.

Nurse-Bear/Bouchard
UFA/Trade-Larsson

The issue with running a right side of Barrie-Larsson-Bouchard, is you now have 2 players that need protected offensive minutes in Barrie and Bouchard on the right side. Not to mention neither of those 2 are relied on to play PK, something both Larsson and Bear do.

Having 2 offensive defensemen with similar skill sets on the back end, not to mention one you likely have to pay over 6M for, doesn’t make much sense.

As I highlighted above your likely better off putting that money into a LD at 5/6M or going after a Seth Jones where he at least brings more two way ability.

Either way I didn’t bump this thread to redo this discussion altogether again, just wanted to share some highlights from his recent interview.

This team FINALLY after 15 years or more of not having a true good offensive puck moving guy who can get the puck to the stars and FINALLY have offene from the back and we are happy to just shrug and go back to 3 goals an 8 assists from all of our 'shut down' guys.

In todays NHL a guy who is the leading scoring Dman in the league s far more valuable than the grossly inflated value of a guy like Larsson who has been nothing but inconsistent since he came here. (He was good last year.)

I'd rather have 2 offensive Dmen than zero and with the attitude of 'oh well Bouchard has to earn it' and how does he earn it? By not playing at all apparently.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
This team FINALLY after 15 years or more of not having a true good offensive puck moving guy who can get the puck to the stars and FINALLY have offene from the back and we are happy to just shrug and go back to 3 goals an 8 assists from all of our 'shut down' guys.

In todays NHL a guy who is the leading scoring Dman in the league s far more valuable than the grossly inflated value of a guy like Larsson who has been nothing but inconsistent since he came here. (He was good last year.)

I'd rather have 2 offensive Dmen than zero and with the attitude of 'oh well Bouchard has to earn it' and how does he earn it? By not playing at all apparently.

This would make sense if Barrie was a particularly good puck-mover; He isn't. Relative to the price they'll sign for, Larsson is much more valuable.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Barrie was a great fit. If we didn't have Bouchard coming up, it would make sense to sign him to term.

But If you an opportunity to upgrade a position, which there is in Hamilton being a FA, I would want to pay a bit more to sign.

RD would look like if this would happen:
Hamilton
Larsson
Bear
Bouchard

One of Bouchard and Bear would have to be traded. You should be able to get a very good player to fill a need for the team.

Our RD would be set for the foreseeable future.
Well said. Agree.

Reactions: MettleMcOiler

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Nurse-Bear/Bouchard
UFA/Trade-Larsson

Barrie didn't earn Barrie's role. He got gifted McD and almost all PP minutes. We could sign Erik Gustaffson to a 1/4 of that price and get almost the same production(Chi/Kane) w the same piss poor defense.

There is little doubt Bouchard can provide close to that production if he's not being held to defensive standards as well

Reactions: Raoul Duke

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Poor guy gets so little respect.

When Hamilton signs somewhere else, Jones is traded elsewhere and the rest of the pipe dreams fade who are we getting to replace Barrie?

Might as well pack it in with Ethan Bear on the top pair. Guy cant clear the front the of the net to save his life.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I was curious so I did some digging. From what I can tell the last time a leading scoring defenceman played with a new team the following season was back in 2003-2004 when the Capitals traded Sergei Gonchar to the Bruins. He eventually signed with Pittsburgh during the offseason.

I cant remember the last time a team let the leading scoring defenceman walk for nothing.

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
This would make sense if Barrie was a particularly good puck-mover; He isn't. Relative to the price they'll sign for, Larsson is much more valuable.

Larsson is terrible. I'd much rather keep Barrie. Oilers will be much worse offensively and defensively next year if they don't re-sign Barrie. Barrie should be priority #1 to re-sign.

Reactions: TheNumber4

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

I know Treena is an awful source but this is kinda my belief as to what could happen. Barrie will test free agency but if all the big money offers out there are from bottom feeding teams he might circle back quick and take a discount to stick around a place he fit in well and will be pushing for a cup in the near future. Which is ideal because then Holland is in the drivers seat when it comes to contract. A 5 year deal in the $5s is something that I could see working for both sides.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015

I know Treena is an awful source but this is kinda my belief as to what could happen. Barrie will test free agency but if all the big money offers out there are from bottom feeding teams he might circle back quick and take a discount to stick around a place he fit in well and will be pushing for a cup in the near future. Which is ideal because then Holland is in the drivers seat when it comes to contract. A 5 year deal in the $5s is something that I could see working for both sides.

Treena’s reminded me of this one lol

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I was curious so I did some digging. From what I can tell the last time a leading scoring defenceman played with a new team the following season was back in 2003-2004 when the Capitals traded Sergei Gonchar to the Bruins. He eventually signed with Pittsburgh during the offseason.

I cant remember the last time a team let the leading scoring defenceman walk for nothing.

Tbf, the defensive scoring crown has been dominated by 3 names for the last decade (Carlson, Burns, Karlsson).

Though guys like Krug, Yandle and Gostisbehere have come close to leading, and imo those are better comparables for Barrie.

While he didn't lead the league, this very thing happened to Barrie 2 years ago: 59 points in 78 games, and a 30+ point lead on the next highest scoring D on the team. Colorado still moved on, and let the rookie Makar have his role the next season.

Reactions: Mr Positive

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Tbf, the defensive scoring crown has been dominated by 3 names for the last decade (Carlson, Burns, Karlsson).

Though guys like Krug, Yandle and Gostisbehere have come close to leading, and imo those are better comparables for Barrie.

While he didn't lead the league, this very thing happened to Barrie 2 years ago: 59 points in 78 games, and a 30+ point lead on the next highest scoring D on the team. Colorado still moved on, and let the rookie Makar have his role the next season.

They didnt walk away from him though. They traded him for a 2nd line center.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
If this org is not gonna give Bouchard his role they are seriously f**ked. Put Bouch on the ice 87% of the time w/ McD and use that Barrie money elsewhere
Playing him with McDrai he will have the toughest competition. I figure lower lines and as much extra time as possible. Needs experience not sink or swim.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Relying on Bouchard when he's so raw defensively is a bad idea. Remember Nurse when he was younger?

If you unleashed Bouchard, he'd put up 40-50pts but he might be -25.

Not if you use him the same way Barrie has been.

It's pretty much impossible to go negative when you play 90% of your minutes with McDavid.

Last edited:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT

I wonder how many goals from McDrai Barrie had an assist on, cause i feel like i saw his name pop up more often than not when they scored.

As much of a step forward Nurse took, I don't think Barrie coming in and McDavid getting 100+ points in a shortened season is a coincidence.

Once Barrie settled in after 10 games, he developed some amazing chemistry with the core group. It'll be a huge mistake to let Barrie go without exploring all avenues to re-sign him. Even with Bouchard knocking on the door.

Bouchard wil be set up to fail, and we'll be up in arms about letting Barrie go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad