Player Discussion Tyson Barrie II: To Extend or Not to extend? At What Price/Term?

Extend Barrie or Walk Away? If Extend, At What Cost?

• Total voters

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I think Holland really has to convince guys like Barrie, Nuge, any UFA that they need to leave a little on the table for a chance to build a cup team. Sell them on your vision.

Yup, and the fact that both McDavid and Drai are underpayed helps. He did that in Detriot all the time, so I figure he can do it here.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
You don't think nearly anyone's numbers wouldn't go into the toilet comparatively if they go from playing with McDavid/Nuge, Drai/Yamamoto, to Khaira/Kassian/Haas/Turris?

Of course, but the argument is Barrie is helping McDavid and Drai which is not really the case.

The Oilers don't need to pay a premium for a player who can dominate with those two, they need a guy who can actually make the rest of the roster better.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Two years would be the ideal contract term for him, but there is a 0% chance he takes that unless we go crazy on AAV.

3 years is where I would want to be with a $5Mish AAV, 4-5 years would require an AAV discount to the $4M range IMO.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Of course, but the argument is Barrie is helping McDavid and Drai which is not really the case.

The Oilers don't need to pay a premium for a player who can dominate with those two, they need a guy who can actually make the rest of the roster better.
So...Barrie?
Barrie pushes other guys down the lineup, while him and Nurse are constantly coming out ahead.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Yup, and the fact that both McDavid and Drai are underpayed helps. He did that in Detriot all the time, so I figure he can do it here.
You basically need to win (which we are mainly) and have momentum to show these guys first hand. Same with UFA's. I think people look at us as trending in the right direction.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
So...Barrie?
Barrie pushes other guys down the lineup, while him and Nurse are constantly coming out ahead.

Barrie's 5v5 performance this year looks a lot like Bear's last year except Barrie is getting more puck luck, which shows you dont need to pay a ton of money for a guy whose job is to be the second best d man on the ice for his own team.

Reactions: npanciroli

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
5.5 x 3 or 6 x 2.

He's in a dream situation for an offensive D but both Nurse and Klefbom are veterans that do the same job as him plus we got Bouchard waiting for his opportunity.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I voted 6 million for 5 years. Though I'd prefer something like 6.5 million for 3 years. Don't think he'd like that term length though. Also, is it just me or does a Taylor Hall signing this summer feel anevitable?

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Barrie's 5v5 performance this year looks a lot like Bear's last year except Barrie is getting more puck luck, which shows you dont need to pay a ton of money for a guy whose job is to be the second best d man on the ice for his own team.
I get what you are saying about having guys who also help when not with McDavid. Barrie is what he is. He was brought here to play with them and it has worked.

I would not call what he has done "puck luck". Can Bear or anybody else play where barrie is and get the same "puck luck"?

So far, that pairing is not a net negative and he pushes down everybody. That is also valuable.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
5.5 x 3 or 6 x 2.

He's in a dream situation for an offensive D but both Nurse and Klefbom are veterans that do the same job as him plus we got Bouchard waiting for his opportunity.
That's where I am at as well. I don't really want to go above 5.5, but if it's for a short term deal you gotta pull the trigger

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
UFA retirement contracts rarely ever work out.

Does Barrie deserve to get paid for the season he's having this year.. sure but to what extent.
Should you expect this season from him next year... likely.
2 years maybe
3 years unlikely
4 years I'd wager some good money he doesn't
5 years.. I'll hit my retirement savings to bet on this.
6 years.. I'd put my house up against it.

Pay him for expected production and ability.. not for a single good season.

I guess If I was gm I think he's got 3 more good years in him so that's what i'd vote if it was an option.
I'm sure some team will offer him 5-6 and we'll lose him. And yes it sucks but if his play drops in 2 years.... he'll be an albatross

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
If I were Barrie's agent, I would be looking at Krug and Faulk as comparables. Both of those guys got 6.5M x 6. If I were the Oilers I would argue that age and the flat cap are deflating factors, and offer 5M x 4, with a hard line at 6M x 5.

Last game has made me a believer. Barrie and Bouchard with McDavid and Draisaitl up front would give the Oilers offensive waves like no other team has.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
All options in OP are high.

5.5x5 for me.

+/- 1 yr and 500k

If he wants term (6+ yrs) then he isnt getting 5M+ per

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I get what you are saying about having guys who also help when not with McDavid. Barrie is what he is. He was brought here to play with them and it has worked.

I would not call what he has done "puck luck". Can Bear or anybody else play where barrie is and get the same "puck luck"?

So far, that pairing is not a net negative and he pushes down everybody. That is also valuable.

Bear played where Barrie does last year and put up similar or better numbers across the board except for GF% which is very much dependent on luck, so yeah, I can't see why not.

It's somewhat remarkable that people can look at a contract like Kassian's and see it for the mistake it was and then turn around and want to do the same thing with Barrie.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
I agree so much with this.

Reactions: Little Fury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad