Player Discussion Tyler Pitlick

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Honestly, I thought his tools were apparent years ago.

He plays a Taylor Hall style of reckless hockey and he'll have to find a way to stay out of the hospital, but we have something here if he can do that.

It's so nice to see the farm start producing some actual players over the last couple of seasons.

While nearly at that level, this is exactly what strikes me as well.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I've been saying it for a while... as long as he's healthy he should be in the lineup. He makes the team better with his energy, hitting and his solid offensive skills (for a bottom 6 role player).

His only knock has been that he's been as fragile as glass in his pro career... but as long as he's healthy... throw him in the lineup and watch him play to his fullest abilities... he makes the team better.

Just reading a couple posts from up above... yes I agree... he is basically a poor man's Taylor Hall. Pitlick isn't likely to be as good offensively but he's also even more physical (and reckless)... and in the early seasons most thought Hall wouldn't stay healthy either but hopefully Pitlick turns that around as well and can stay healthy for at least the majority of the year.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'm super happy that Pitbull is showing so well right now. We all saw it in his game in his initial year in Penticton. I was excited for him then, and now what I'm seeing is a much more refined player, despite his injuries truth be told. Might be a good time to throw some praise in Todd Nelson's and the new guy down there as well. Some of these kids are starting to round out quite nicely. Like a plump Thanksgiving turkey!

Kid is a total gamer.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think that Curtis Glencross lite may well be a very good comparable for Pitlick assuming he sticks in the NHL this season. Of course Glencross was undrafted and a good AHL scorer so those elements dont fit but everything else seems to.

Like Glencross, Pitlick appears to be making his NHL mark around 24 years old after playing over 150 AHL games. Pitlick plays a similar game to Glencross and he is almost exactly the same size.
Pitlick appears to be a Glencross type player with less scoring ability.

Again its very early but assuming Pitlick sticks in the NHL from this point on (and his trajectory continues) he has the potential to be a solid 4th line and part time 3rd line player.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
So impressed with this guy he has so much hustle hits hard and can score. I really think he been the surprise of the season so far.

I don't think people are that surprised, as many thought this was the type of play he had in him. it's just he was never healthy enough to show it.
knock on wood that he stays healthy this year.
he's had some bad luck. actually impressive the oilers org has stuck with him so long. good on them.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Play him with McDavid?

Pitlick is off to a good start, but I think if he sticks in the NHL his best case scenario is something like Eric Nystrom.

This is a guy who could potentially be a good 4th liner. I think if you start expecting him to play anywhere higher up the depth chart, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Play him with McDavid?

Pitlick is off to a good start, but I think if he sticks in the NHL his best case scenario is something like Eric Nystrom.

This is a guy who could potentially be a good 4th liner. I think if you start expecting him to play anywhere higher up the depth chart, you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Im a fan of playing hot players higher in the line up for a game. Grab some lightening in a bottle. Get a kid full of piss and vinegar out there eager to score and you could get an extra goal or 2 from him with top 6 center.

Put him on 4th line when he struggles

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I am cheering for this guy.

Since he had the baby I think he realized that in order to provide he needs to give it everyday. Hope he stays healthy and keeps it up.

I didn't realize that he had a child. Good for him. It'd definitely give him a different perspective on life and by my eye he looks bigger, faster and stronger after this last offseason so it looks like he hit the gym hard this past offseason.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
This probably isn't the right place (although somewhat related), but I hear Kris Versteeg is already demoted to the 4th line in Calgary.

Both Pitlick and Slepyshev have been better than Versteeg, so Chia made the right call here.

If Versteeg were here, either Pitlick or Slepy would not be dressing.

People should maybe pause and think about these things a little more carefully, before ripping on Chia for not signing Versteeg.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Chia tried to sign him...he chose Calgary instead. Maybe we dodged a bullet, who knows, but his salary wasn't going to be anything substantial.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Chia tried to sign him...he chose Calgary instead. Maybe we dodged a bullet, who knows, but his salary wasn't going to be anything substantial.

Damn those Flames, they did it again.

why-i-oughta-.gif

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I'm paraphrasing, but I'm pretty sure there was a quote in the off-season from Pitter stating basically:

"I don't want to go back to the AHL."

He's proving it.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

Meh. Not likely. I think he would do better in Edmonton on a line with Draisaitl or Nugent-Hopkins with one of Pouliot and Maroon on the other side.

But I am more than happy to give the minutes to Slepyshev and Pitlick if they prove they deserve it.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I'm paraphrasing, but I'm pretty sure there was a quote in the off-season from Pitter stating basically:

He's proving it.

Yup, he said that in an interview with Jason Gregor.

Said he felt like he **** the bed in last years TC and really wanted to show he can make the team and show he can play as a regular.

Said he also changed his off season training to help (somehow) with his injury issues.

Glad hes currently following thru with his words. Cant help but feel happy and pull for the kid. He's the exact role player the Oilers need.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

He's proving it.

Love it :yo:.

That's the type of competition we need for roster spots. Pitbull and Slepy are looking desperate and like they want to do everything to stay on the roster. Exactly what we need.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
This probably isn't the right place (although somewhat related), but I hear Kris Versteeg is already demoted to the 4th line in Calgary.

Both Pitlick and Slepyshev have been better than Versteeg, so Chia made the right call here.

If Versteeg were here, either Pitlick or Slepy would not be dressing.

People should maybe pause and think about these things a little more carefully, before ripping on Chia for not signing Versteeg.

To a degree yes, but Versteeg didn't sign because he was told he would be healthy scratched and be relied on to be more of a depth player / veteran. I'm guessing TMac and Chia knew where Pitlick and Slepy were in their development.

He chose Calgary for their lack of depth, and the likeliness of being in the top 6.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Im a fan of playing hot players higher in the line up for a game. Grab some lightening in a bottle. Get a kid full of piss and vinegar out there eager to score and you could get an extra goal or 2 from him with top 6 center.

Put him on 4th line when he struggles

Disagree.

Our fourth line is actually producing.

Lander is producing. Letestu is producing.

Leave it the **** alone!!!

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
He reminds me a little bit of Kesler but on the RW. I hope he finds consistency in his game and hopefully gets a chance with Mcdave!

Getting 3 goals with mediocre NHL linemates is no joke. I would really like to see what he can do with a legit NHL center (McJesus, Nuge, Drai). Mostly Mcdave haha!

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Does anyone know if Pitlick fights? Or is he more of the Kesler/Perron agitating in your face type?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Does anyone know if Pitlick fights? Or is he more of the Kesler/Perron agitating in your face type?

No I don't think he drops them very much at all. I know he fought Landon Ferraro in the AHL though.

I wonder what happens when Hendricks comes back. T-Pitts might take his roster spot if he keeps it up. Hendy is great but there cant be too much life left in the old dogs legs.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
No I don't think he drops them very much at all. I know he fought Landon Ferraro in the AHL though.

I wonder what happens when Hendricks comes back. T-Pitts might take his roster spot if he keeps it up. Hendy is great but there cant be too much life left in the old dogs legs.

I think Hendo is still tough to replace since he can fight as well. If anything I think Pitts will be battling with Pak for final RW spot.

Ideally I would like to see his offensive game continue to develop to make Eberle dispendable. He has bettter speed, size and work ethic than ebs already. Only thing EBs has on him now is better playmaking and finishing ability.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

Hendricks-Letestu-Pitlick
13f-Lander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad