Player Discussion Tyler Motte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Good deal for Ottawa. Quality depth at a good price. Motte overplayed his hand. Still think we should have brought him back at those terms and cut ties with Gauthier/Hunt/etc.
Agreed.

He fit in very well last season. We struggled with PKing, and his speed game brought a much needed element. We could have easily given him the contract he just received, if he had been willing to accept it earlier. A lot of depth players severely overplayed their hands. In a normal offseason, he'd be in line for much better deal. I don't think those guys, or their agents, thought the market would be this tight.

Circus86

Sep 12, 2020
I would have done 1x1.35 if we would have had the cap. Lots of really good 3-4th liners signing for next to nothing. Stastny, Rodriques, Motte.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I think this puts Ottawa over the top.

"Despite going pointless in nine games with the Rangers down the final stretch of the regular season, Motte seemed far better suited for the role he was now playing in New York, with the 27-year-old helping generate a ludicrous 63.16 percent share of the available scoring chances during his even-strength minutes along with an equally impressive 56.26 percent share of the expected goals." --Hockey News

Reactions: egelband and RGY

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Good for Motte, but I'm sure he was hoping for more. The extra 400K is an extra 400K had he stayed with the Rangers for 900K or so.

I'm sure he would've liked a longer term too, but he gets a little bump from the 1.225 he was making and in Canada that money will go a shit ton further than it would've in Manhattan.

Good signing by Ottawa, they continue to become a deeper club. I am one of the Motte lovers, because I have a much greater respect and value true lower line players and what they provide the team moreso than most fans. His PK ability, stick play and forechecking was fantastic and better than most in that role.

He'll need to improve his offensive numbers to get another bump when he hits the market yet again this summer. However - the Rangers shouldnt close the door to a reunion if needed going into the playoffs this year (if cap space allows)...

May want to update the thread title.

Last edited:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Id have moved Blais to sign him, probably an unpopular opinion but i just dont see Blais playing 82 games and playoffs.

Reactions: QJL

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Motte got a 4th rounder last year at the deadline. Ottawa looks like they’ll be a better team this year but if they’re falling short he probably gets them at least a 4th this year too. Maybe even a 3rd depending.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Good for Motte. I'd rather have Vesey for a fraction of that, and with that more potential for production from the 4th line.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Players I’d rather have Motte than:

Blais
Goodrow
Reaves

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
If we really wanted him back, we would have made this work. The truth is that for whatever reasons, it just wasn’t a priority. Really disappointing.

*I would speculate that there’s more than meets the eye. They didn’t want him back. Something does not add up.

Note: "Despite going pointless in nine games with the Rangers down the final stretch of the regular season, Motte seemed far better suited for the role he was now playing in New York, with the 27-year-old helping generate a ludicrous 63.16 percent share of the available scoring chances during his even-strength minutes along with an equally impressive 56.26 percent share of the expected goals." --Hockey News

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Id have moved Blais to sign him, probably an unpopular opinion but i just dont see Blais playing 82 games and playoffs.
Blais is a much better player and way more of a physical force. I'd rather gamble on him being healthy for the playoffs than Motte who had his own injury problems.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If we really wanted him back, we would have made this work. The truth is that for whatever reasons, it just wasn’t a priority. Really disappointing.

*I would speculate that there’s more than meets the eye. They didn’t want him back. Something does not add up.

Note: "Despite going pointless in nine games with the Rangers down the final stretch of the regular season, Motte seemed far better suited for the role he was now playing in New York, with the 27-year-old helping generate a ludicrous 63.16 percent share of the available scoring chances during his even-strength minutes along with an equally impressive 56.26 percent share of the expected goals." --Hockey News
Does it say anything that none of his 4 previous teams signed him when he ended up signing a 1 year deal at 1.3 mill?

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Motte deserves the spot more than Blais after last season for sure. Not that Blais did anything wrong of course. He could still be the more valuable of the two players.

Does it say anything that none of his 4 previous teams signed him when he ended up signing a 1 year deal at 1.3 mill?
Teams pass up good depth players sometimes. It happens.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Motte deserves the spot more than Blais after last season for sure. Not that Blais did anything wrong of course. He could still be the more valuable of the two players.

Teams pass up good depth players sometimes. It happens.
Motte, age 27, 9 regular season games for NYR, 0 points, -1, 27 hits.
Blais, age 26, 14 regular season games for NYR, 4 points, +3, 37 hits (and hits way harder)

Motte got 2 points in 14 playoff games as well.

I don't see how Motte deserves the spot over Blais, and I definitely prefer Blais by a good margin.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I love fans crying over an overrated faster Jed Ortmeyer. Another forward with no hands. Already had Rooney and Reaves last year. Lets have a 4th line of players that have no hands and clueless in the offensive zone. Glad he is not an option anymore

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Motte, age 27, 9 regular season games for NYR, 0 points, -1, 27 hits.
Blais, age 26, 14 regular season games for NYR, 4 points, +3, 37 hits (and hits way harder)

Motte got 2 points in 14 playoff games as well.

I don't see how Motte deserves the spot over Blais, and I definitely prefer Blais by a good margin.
PK ability has to be a part of the discussion.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I love fans crying over an overrated faster Jed Ortmeyer. Another forward with no hands. Already had Rooney and Reaves last year. Lets have a 4th line of players that have no hands and clueless in the offensive zone. Glad he is not an option anymore
As pointed out earlier;

“"Despite going pointless in nine games with the Rangers down the final stretch of the regular season, Motte seemed far better suited for the role he was now playing in New York, with the 27-year-old helping generate a ludicrous 63.16 percent share of the available scoring chances during his even-strength minutes along with an equally impressive 56.26 percent share of the expected goals." --Hockey News”

Yea…totally overrated! Good riddance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad