Player Discussion Tyler Motte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I mean his skill set isn't unique But he's also screwed right now. He's a 4th line guy, and right now those guys are making league min to 1m.
In a normal cap situation hes probably worth 2.2 or so.
He might have turned down an offer early, and lost it.
he is unique. players that give a shit 100% of the time and actually have skill are very rare. let alone the fact that Motte is also very fast.

it's the reason a bunch of talentless clowns that work hard are still in this league and don't ever go away.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
While I really liked him - his MO is a lotta speed but doesn’t score enough.
Those guys are maddening

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This guy is still unsigned. Why aren't we signing him for cheap, if available? He played very well for us.
Nobody is signing him. Not just us. Rumors are he was looking for 2 mill plus. I'd rather keep that money for more of a difference maker.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
he is unique. players that give a shit 100% of the time and actually have skill are very rare. let alone the fact that Motte is also very fast.

it's the reason a bunch of talentless clowns that work hard are still in this league and don't ever go away.
We can say the same about mckegg… but he tried and sucked

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
While I really liked him - his MO is a lotta speed but doesn’t score enough.
Those guys are maddening
Welcome to the 4th line. You're not getting players that provide a lot of scoring for around league min, and he's better than what we had on the 4th line.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Loved Motte. Loads of energy. Has a high octane engine that keeps going and going. He doesn't get gassed. Really good defensive play. Covers a lot of ground on both the forecheck and backcheck. Hits really well and very often for his size. Not much of a scorer for sure but as a 4th liner you can do a lot lot worse.

Reactions: egelband

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
I wouldn't say "played very well", he was solid, but as a 4th liner on a team against the cap, unless he wants to take a bit of a discount, you move on, pretty simple

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Motte was pretty damn good and effective. Not sure why this is so hard to comprehend for some. All year the 4th line just didn’t fit right. Didnt have much effectiveness for the overall game play. Reaves filled a role in helping transition the team identity but the minute by minute play on the ice was underwhelming. He looked slower than previous years which makes sense considering his age and miles on his body. Hunt was just OK. He was elevated at times when he never should have been and he really didnt possess the puck well or help with possession. McKegg…LOL. The list goes on.

Motte is a quality player. He plays a strong game and is noticeable every shift. There is a reason why a lot of us fans want him back, especially because he should come at a good discount. Championship teams need a quality 4th line.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Motte was pretty damn good and effective. Not sure why this is so hard to comprehend for some. All year the 4th line just didn’t fit right. Didnt have much effectiveness for the overall game play. Reaves filled a role in helping transition the team identity but the minute by minute play on the ice was underwhelming. He looked slower than previous years which makes sense considering his age and miles on his body. Hunt was just OK. He was elevated at times when he never should have been and he really didnt possess the puck well or help with possession. McKegg…LOL. The list goes on.

Motte is a quality player. He plays a strong game and is noticeable every shift. There is a reason why a lot of us fans want him back, especially because he should come at a good discount. Championship teams need a quality 4th line.

Rather have Motte’s roster spot go to a younger player like Othmann Cuylle Kravtsov. Rangers must stop overpaying their 4th liners. Rather have Vesey at 900,000 over Motte at 2.5 or whatever he wants.

Reactions: TominNC

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Rather have Motte’s roster spot go to a younger player like Othmann Cuylle Kravtsov. Rangers must stop overpaying their 4th liners. Rather have Vesey at 900,000 over Motte at 2.5 or whatever he wants.
Cuylle yes. Othmann or Kravtsov? No way. Later two need real ice time, Oth will play juniors again at 19, Krav will be in the top 9. Cuylle’s potential is likely a 4th liner so that’s not the worst, but i’d prefer him to get some bigger minutes in the AHL for at least half a season and see how he does.

If you can grab Motte for under a mill, you take that and RUN. But so would 30 other teams. He is clearly waiting for whatever he wants, which is likely either a long contract or a high (1.75m?) contract. I think he gets it eventually by someone who gets desperate late.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This has been explained many times to you but sure let’s have this exercise yet again…

It would be a detriment to both the player and team to have any of those kids you mentioned playing on the 4th line. This team is no longer in full rebuild mode. They are transitioning to a team that competes for a cup. We need players suited and qualified for specific roles. Forcing young kids as the square pegs into the 4th line forechecking, defensively responsible, and PK round hole roles is shortsighted and ignorant. This isn’t a video game. This is real life roster construction. Cuylle is the ONLY one that you MAYBE would consider, but WHY? Why not have him play top line minutes in Hartford and if/when there are injuries you can see where you are at with how his year is going in Hartford. Let him continue his development.

You also claim that Motte is supposedly getting $2.5 AAV as your reasoning…where is that coming from? What team is offering that? Don’t you think he would have signed for that already if it was on the table from somewhere? Evan Rodrigues just signed for $2 million for 1 year with the Avs. This guy is signing for $1-$1.25 million or less at this point. If he is available for $900k then I am taking him over Vesey/Hunt/Gauthier all day long. He is the proven 4th line player who is more effective in that role.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Cuylle yes. Othmann or Kravtsov? No way. Later two need real ice time, Oth will play juniors again at 19, Krav will be in the top 9. Cuylle’s potential is likely a 4th liner so that’s not the worst, but i’d prefer him to get some bigger minutes in the AHL for at least half a season and see how he does.

If you can grab Motte for under a mill, you take that and RUN. But so would 30 other teams. He is clearly waiting for whatever he wants, which is likely either a long contract or a high (1.75m?) contract. I think he gets it eventually by someone who gets desperate late.
I meant roster spot, not line up spot. Big different 23 on the roster. Every spot counts. No need to waste it on Hunt, Gauthier, Motte. Rather give those spots to players with upside.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
We need to move Ryan Reaves to fit Tyler Motte. It’s the only way. The Rangers need cap space for the deadline. They’ll be going for Kane or something similar.

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Welcome to the 4th line. You're not getting players that provide a lot of scoring for around league min, and he's better than what we had on the 4th line.
Agree but we moved him up to the 2nd line a few times for his speed and while gritty asf he’s not gonna score .
He’s probably asking 3 years and and 2.6 +.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta

I don't care what anyone says, I knew the second his skates hit the ice he's going to bust his ass. I'd really like him to stay but unfortunately not at the cost of a kid in that spot. Now, maybe as someone that bounces between 3rd/4th depending on the opponent as being the vet bottom 6er that usually stays in the line up more often that not.

I dunno - I'm not a professional coach and don't know how to fit everyone in. But I would like the kids seeing more of his work ethic too. (more of that, don't take a shift off, actually give a shit mentality)

I'm starving for hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad