Confirmed with Link: Tyler Graovac Traded to Washington for 2018 5th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
a guy who has the potential to be a decent #3C, a 5th is way to cheap unless a salary dump. ps clueless gm.

He has a chance at being a decent 3C the same way Brodin has at being the next Lidstrom.

Totally nonsensical comment.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008

Yeah, his underlying numbers weren't good and exploring why might be an interesting project. He didn't get a ton of minutes obviously, but somewhat interestingly one of his best games was against the Caps in March, three shots on goal in under eight minutes of ice time.

The question is whether Fletch can find a prospect of similar quality somehow.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Yeah, his underlying numbers weren't good and exploring why might be an interesting project. He didn't get a ton of minutes obviously, but somewhat interestingly one of his best games was against the Caps in March, three shots on goal in under eight minutes of ice time.

The question is whether Fletch can find a prospect of similar quality somehow.

Digging into the underlying numbers probably won't make Graovac's value look much better - Off the top of my head he didn't play any particularly difficult match-ups, or PK time.

I think he'll improve, obviously - He's a young guy and last season was his 1st in the league with consistent playing time. Just don't think he'll get much better than 4th line C on a good team.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Graovac is 6'5" and plays like he's Pommer's size. I liked him, but he didn't have the intensity/consistency to be a 4th liner, and was lacking the skills to be a 3rd liner.

It opens a 50 man roster spot, and leaves Kunin as the 1C in Iowa next season. Lots of all situations ice time for his first pro season. Possibly a 1/2C punch with JEE if he doesn't make the NHL squad.

The open roster spot could be a precursor for other trades where the Wild are getting a different prospect as an add on to a trade.

GMCF could also be doing a player a solid by letting him have a chance elsewhere that he's not going to have with MN. If there isn't much chance of him being in the NHL next season (BB was critical of him) then might as well get a pick for him or let him walk away after next season when his next contract is due. He'd have to pass through waivers before the season starts and the Wild could lose him for nothing then also.

I don't buy the money savings. He was on basically a league minimum contract, even if he rides the NHL bench, players don't get much cheaper. Him being in the AHL would have had 0 impact on the salary cap.

It does make me think the Haula is in the teams plans for the next couple of seasons. Grao was the insurance policy if Haula got traded (imo).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wish fletch wouldn't have skimped out on that 4c spot last year, Cullen was crucial in pens win. Guess we'll find some grinder that BB doesn't trust with any minutes

Also, if we had got Cullen we wouldn't have made the Hanzal trade, and would be talking about who we can draft in the 1st round now.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
If we would have foreseen the future, we wouldn't make any wrong decisions.

I thought the Cullen move was a pretty obvious one to make at the time, and didn't even use my crystal ball. Maybe Cullen just didn't want to come here, though Russo said otherwise.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ryan White will most likely be the 4thC next year.

Ugh. I don't mind him as a 13 th forward/ backup face puncher, but that's about it.

Seems to me that Graovac was BB's whipping boy,like Haula and Zucker were Yeo's whipping boys. If we had a surplus of C's in the system I'd get this move, but we don't.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
Wish fletch wouldn't have skimped out on that 4c spot last year, Cullen was crucial in pens win. Guess we'll find some grinder that BB doesn't trust with any minutes

i would have rather graovac stayed in iowa & continued developing last year and we could have signed cullen or even tried harder to keep brodziak as our 4th. i believe graovac has potential also if WSH needed him for expansion why did we only get a 5th?

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
i would have rather graovac stayed in iowa & continued developing last year and we could have signed cullen or even tried harder to keep brodziak as our 4th. i believe graovac has potential also if WSH needed him for expansion why did we only get a 5th?

He was a 7th round pick that will never be more than a warm body 4C. Washington could've traded with literally any other team in the league to get a guy like this. Getting a 5th is a win.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011

You're talking like he's a 20 you're old prospect. He's got plenty of time in Iowa over the past 3 years, and his scoring has largely stagnated. He's 24, and wasn't improving much at that level, so it's likely he is what he is at that level.

It's possible he can gain the consistency to become a decent 4th liner. But the thought of him becoming anything but is likely long gone, unless the team is awful.

As for why we only got a 5th, i'm sure the Caps would have went to another team if we pushed for much more. There isn't a shortage of fringe NHL forwards that are expansion eligible. It's not like Fletcher had them by the short hairs.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I guess I didn't really mind Graovac, but I'm not exactly sad we're moving on from him. It was clear that BB didn't really always wanted more out of Grao and never felt like he got it. I feel like this is a fair return.

Ryan White will most likely be the 4thC next year.

I'd be nervous about penciling in White as the 4th line center without taking a real good look at who's out there on July 1st. White's not terrible, but he made enough questionable decisions in his brief stint with us to make me want to see what else is out there.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
fine, you win, we'll call him a garbage player that we were lucky to salvage a 5th for HAPPY?

He passed through waivers last year twice. To get a 5th for him seems pretty good in that case. He probably wouldn't start in the NHL next season, which may mean he would need to go through waivers again (could be wrong). So we got a 5th instead of losing him for nothing. It's a good move. He's a 4th line player, there's nothing to get really upset over here.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Eh, I'll be overly critical and say I had no hopes of him being anything more than a Patrick O'Sullivan. Get called up for a stretch of games and then right back down you go. The Wild can find plenty of players who can do that role and keep it on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad