Confirmed with Link: Tyler Graovac Traded to Washington for 2018 5th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Grao sent to Washington for a 5th

Edit: ^^^^^ grrrr

Well, he was an offensive black hole. In effect, we moved up from the 7th round where Graovac was taken to the 5th, if you want to think of it in a positive light.

In the end, he's an ok player, but not the kind of guy you build your team around. Heck, he wasn't good enough for the 4th line last year, and he's 24 years old. He probably won't get much better.

*edit* just realized I misunderstood what your "grrr" was in reference to. My bad.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
Well, he was an offensive black hole. In effect, we moved up from the 7th round where Graovac was taken to the 5th, if you want to think of it in a positive light.

I mean, aren't most 4C players black holes offensively? I feel like he had room to grow, was cheap, and I doubt we'll get a better player in the 5th round for him. Idk. 7 goals isn't too shabby for a young guy on such a line.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I mean, aren't most 4C players black holes offensively? I feel like he had room to grow, was cheap, and I doubt we'll get a better player in the 5th round for him. Idk. 7 goals isn't too shabby for a young guy on such a line.

The Wild is hiring its first scout in Russia, it's stocking up on 5th rounders...the plan's all coming together.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think his deal was a one-way this year and he definitely didn't impress the coaches.

Give his $600k to Haula, Eriksson Ek comes in and we run Koivu/Staal/Eriksson EK/Haula down the middle.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I think his deal was a one-way this year and he definitely didn't impress the coaches.

Give his $600k to Haula, Eriksson Ek comes in and we run Koivu/Staal/Eriksson EK/Haula down the middle.

Don't mind the Graovac trade either, it's a fair return on a player who wasn't part of the program going forward. He already beat the odds and I hope he has success with the Caps.

Erik Haula deserves a raise and/or some job security and I think an arbitrator would see it the same way. Not sure he'll be with the Wild next season. That said, I don't mind the idea of JEE taking 3rd line minutes at center as long as he has some support (e.g. Jason Pominville) on his wings.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Don't mind the Graovac trade either, it's a fair return on a player who wasn't part of the program going forward. He already beat the odds and I hope he has success with the Caps.

Erik Haula deserves a raise and/or some job security and I think an arbitrator would see it the same way. Not sure he'll be with the Wild next season. That said, I don't mind the idea of JEE taking 3rd line minutes at center as long as he has some support (e.g. Jason Pominville) on his wings.

Are you talking about a raise to the $2.5-$3 million range, or to ~$2m? I'm thinking that $1.75-$2m over 3-4 years sounds about right.

The way that the lineup is probably going to shake down, Ek will probably have both Pominville and one of Parise/Nino on his flanks. That's a pretty nice situation to step into, relatively speaking.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Yup, no problem with the Graovac trade. He didn't have a future here anymore.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Tyler Graovac Traded to Washington for 5th Round Pick

I'll admit I had a bit of a soft spot for Graovac, but this is probably best for everyone involved.

Iowa will miss him.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013

In today's NHL on cup winning teams no.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Are you talking about a raise to the $2.5-$3 million range, or to ~$2m? I'm thinking that $1.75-$2m over 3-4 years sounds about right.

The way that the lineup is probably going to shake down, Ek will probably have both Pominville and one of Parise/Nino on his flanks. That's a pretty nice situation to step into, relatively speaking.

I look at Tobias Rieder as a decent comp at 2.25 last season. Haula's worth at least that. He might be a classic "hometown discount" kind of guy though, making your suggestion a reasonable one.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah, I dunno. At this point I think I have more faith in our drafting in rounds 5-7 than I do in rounds 3-4 :laugh: I've got good money on Braydyn Chizen becoming the next Zdeno Chara.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Another thing about Graovac: I think he does have a decent chance to play in the NHL next season. He might not skate well enough to play center but he has enough skill and size to play a fourth line role in a Barry Trotz system and get some points. Wish they could have pried a prospect actually - I like Chase Priskie - but a 5th, as others have said, covers the original bet and then some.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Another thing about Graovac: I think he does have a decent chance to play in the NHL next season. He might not skate well enough to play center but he has enough skill and size to play a fourth line role in a Barry Trotz system and get some points. Wish they could have pried a prospect actually - I like Chase Priskie - but a 5th, as others have said, covers the original bet and then some.

I think if the trade can act as a bit of a wake-up call and he comes in ready to prove himself, you could very well be right. More power to him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I look at Tobias Rieder as a decent comp at 2.25 last season. Haula's worth at least that. He might be a classic "hometown discount" kind of guy though, making your suggestion a reasonable one.

I like the comp, but looking at what Rieder has done, I think Haula is still a bit below that.

$1.5m to $2m depending on the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad