Proposal: Tyler Ennis contract dump

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
After sleeping on it and while not in the immediate aftermath of an effective playoff elimination, I'm not as hostile toward the idea. I still don't think I'd like it, but I at least see the logic.

I do think Minnesota's pick has to end up being higher than 23rd after being eliminated in the 1st round though. Or am I wrong about that?
From my understanding, only the two teams in the finals get their position adjusted to the last two picks.

Everyone else gets slotted by regular season record/points adjusted accordingly to account for the two teams in the finals.

Assuming we're 23rd currently, the only way we'd improve is if a team or two teams with higher current pick position made it to the finals.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
From my understanding, only the two teams in the finals get their position adjusted to the last two picks.

Everyone else gets slotted by regular season record/points adjusted accordingly to account for the two teams in the finals.

Assuming we're 23rd currently, the only way we'd improve is if a team or two teams with higher current pick position made it to the finals.
Drat.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
just trade ennis plus a 3rd or 4th & retain upto 2 mill (for one yr) somebody would want a live body at 2.6 mill to fill a spot. dont not trade our 1st! we're in this mess do to giving away picks like halloween candy!

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Our prospect pool is pretty thin at the moment.

I don't think Fletcher or Leopold would choose to trade their 1st rounder over an Ennis buyout.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
People are pretty sanguine about the cap situation for next season. But we still don't know some key salaries OR the cap. $2.16MM in dead cap next season makes a difference when your squad is as locked up as this one is.

I agree that giving up the first is a lot right now. I also think Ennis can play in this league in a limited role. He's not a great fit in our division. My preference would be trade him and I don't see why one of our thirds couldn't be used as a sweetener. Real money is a million less than cap hit, which has appeal as well.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Here's where I'm at with Ennis. He's not a great player that much we all know. But there are a couple things that I want to point out. One we are a salary cap team, always have been the past few years. I'm really getting tired of buyout money costing us some of that space. It's ridiculous. Second point, it's been shown that a team needs 14-15 forwards throughout the year and let's face it, Ennis did score 22 points this year. Not great, but not 0. Sure if we can trade him for no salary taken back that's awesome, but if we can't get that with Scandella I see almost 0% chance of that happening with Ennis. So now it's either buyout or keep him. Why not keep him and put him through waivers? Cutting him isn't gonna save that much space isn't his buyout like 2.1 over 2 which is his salary anyway? Put him in Iowa until he is needed (or not hopefully) and be done with him after next year. Please GMCF no buyouts unless absolutely necessary.

Edit: looks like we would actually save about a million going the buyout option... still don't like it though.

HollaHaula

Cynical Wild fan
Jul 28, 2015
I'd kill 2 birds with 1 stone and package Coyle with Ennis. Should be enough to at least get something back without retaining on Ennis.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No need to pay anything substantial to dump Ennis.

Zucker + Dumba ~ $11
Seeler ~$1

Zucker
Staal
Granlund
Parise
Eriksson Ek
Coyle
Greenway
Koivu
Nino
Foligno
Ennis
Suter
Spurgeon
Brodin
Dumba
Seeler
Prosser
Olofsson
Dubnyk
Stalock

Totals $75.285 for 2018-19

Cap will be $78 minimum

Space ~ $2.715 for 3 4th line/extra forwards, all should be making ~$700k.

Buyout adds $2+ and only adds ~$1 to the year after.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
No need to pay anything substantial to dump Ennis.

Zucker + Dumba ~ $11
Seeler ~$1

Zucker
Staal
Granlund
Parise
Eriksson Ek
Coyle
Greenway
Koivu
Nino
Foligno
Ennis
Suter
Spurgeon
Brodin
Dumba
Seeler
Prosser
Olofsson
Dubnyk
Stalock

Totals $75.285 for 2018-19

Cap will be $78 minimum

Space ~ $2.715 for 3 4th line/extra forwards, all should be making ~$700k.

Buyout adds $2+ and only adds ~$1 to the year after.
There's no chance that Fletcher keeps his job and everyone comes back. At least one of those things has to give.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Either way it's a useful baseline, and a counter to the idea that we have to start trading away guys just to get under the cap.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Cup champ 31
cup loser 30
conference final loser 28-29
division winners that didn't play in the conferencefinals
everybody else by record

The Wild pick #24 currently but could move up 4 spots if teams below them in the standings were to make the conference finals.

Reactions: TaLoN

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Maybe, but I think the Suter injury gave him an out, like it or not.
I think you're probably right on Fletcher, but I do believe that that would mean that a significant trade is coming this summer. Fans interest started to dip this year, if they don't do something to get people excited, it's only going to get worse.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Cup champ 31
cup loser 30
conference final loser 28-29
division winners that didn't play in the conferencefinals
everybody else by record

The Wild pick #24 currently but could move up 4 spots if teams below them in the standings were to make the conference finals.
Pittsburgh, Columbus and San Jose all seem like possibilities. Colorado less of one, but who knows?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad