Proposal: Tyler Ennis contract dump

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Hey Wild fans, I come in peace! I've seen on the mainboards that Wild fans are looking to dump his contract. Given the history of cap dump trades (see Bickell/Bolland/Savard/Datysuk) I just wanted to gauge the value of this proposal.

Minnesota receives Yan Pavel Laplante (1 year 836k 2 way contract) to play in the minors + Vancouver 2nd round pick (37th overall)
Vancouver receives: Tyler Ennis (1 year 4.6M) + Minnesota 1st round pick (roughly 24 ovr)

I would say the value of dumping Ennis is about a 2nd round pick. Minnesota does not have one. The value to move up from 30-40 to 20-25 usually is a late 2nd.

Is the value there?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Keep the pick and buyout Ennis if the cap space is needed. Not interested in giving away anything else for dumping Ennis.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Keep the pick and buyout Ennis if the cap space is needed. Not interested in giving away anything else for dumping Ennis.
Thats easy for us to say as fans. the money is not coming out of our pockets. Is that something the owner would be willing to do?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Thats easy for us to say as fans. the money is not coming out of our pockets. Is that something the owner would be willing to do?

He's dumped $2.5m in dead money for buyouts the last few years. So yes the owner would eat the cost.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Fletcher would be fired before he's allowed to spend a 1st to dump a contract he traded for in an effort to mitigate a separate bad contract he signed someone else to. They'll just buy him out.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Fletcher would be fired before he's allowed to spend a 1st to dump a contract he traded for in an effort to mitigate a separate bad contract he signed someone else to. They'll just buy him out.
Fletcher should probably be fired for making that trade in the 1st place

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Maybe. I don't really know what to make of Pominville's season since he was trash on a trash team.
You don't compare what Ennis did here to what Pommer did in Buffalo. You compare it to what Pommer did here.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
You don't compare what Ennis did here to what Pommer did in Buffalo. You compare it to what Pommer did here.
No argument that there's no comparison between Ennis this year and Pominville last year. But Pominville's at that age where I'm not sure he wouldn't have fallen off a cliff regardless of where he played.

I'll admit I have a hard time imagining him being a worse turnover machine than Ennis is, even at 40.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Its not necessarily giving up a first though. You do get a very high 2nd round pick back. If that pick ends up where its projected (24th) then the Wild are moving down 13 spots in the draft to rid themselves of the contract. However if the owner is willing to buy him out instead, then yea that would definitely be the better option

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
The cap room doesn't do anything for us. Unless you have a time machine available so we don't make that trade we'll eat the contract

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Its not necessarily giving up a first though. You do get a very high 2nd round pick back. If that pick ends up where its projected (24th) then the Wild are moving down 13 spots in the draft to rid themselves of the contract. However if the owner is willing to buy him out instead, then yea that would definitely be the better option
Eh, now that I think about it, it could be worth it if it allows another deal to happen. The team needs a mixup, and if this is the type of trade that would allow us to bring in another great asset, I'd probably do it.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
How do you figure that?
Tbh I haven't looked at the cap situation since fall and was going by memory. Looked at cap friendly and we probably need to do something to keep zucker and dumba. Right now I'd rather send zucker or coyle to the moon than trade our first but that may be a tad emotional

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Tbh I haven't looked at the cap situation since fall and was going by memory. Looked at cap friendly and we probably need to do something to keep zucker and dumba. Right now I'd rather send zucker or coyle to the moon than trade our first but that may be a tad emotional
$4.6M is a quality 3d pair RHD and 2 great 4th liners,or a very good 3rd line center. If you make a trade like this before free agency it would allow you to take a run at Tavares as well.

Not saying I like the idea of moving the 1st, but being rid of Ennis without having to buy him out, or take back salary, would be huge.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
$4.6M is a quality 3d pair RHD and 2 great 4th liners. If you make a trade like this before free agency it would allow you to take a run at Tavares as well.
Yup, I've changed my mind. It's not trading down too far and gives a lot of flexibility. Do it.

NotYou

Sep 21, 2014
$4.6M is a quality 3d pair RHD and 2 great 4th liners,or a very good 3rd line center. If you make a trade like this before free agency it would allow you to take a run at Tavares as well.

Not saying I like the idea of moving the 1st, but being rid of Ennis without having to buy him out, or take back salary, would be huge.
I don't think we're a third pairing dman and a few good 4th liners away from actually mattering. That's assuming fletch could hit on all three which would be impressive. We're a slightly above average team and have been for five years. I'll take the magic beans over adding complimentary pieces to this core.
If there's a real chance at tavaras yeah do it. But I don't think that's the cass

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't think we're a third pairing dman and a few good 4th liners away from actually mattering. That's assuming fletch could hit on all three which would be impressive. We're a slightly above average team and have been for five years. I'll take the magic beans over adding complimentary pieces to this core.
If there's a real chance at tavaras yeah do it. But I don't think that's the cass
Your idea of slightly above average is quite a bit different than mine.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Looking at cap friendly to buy out Ennis is 2.16 next year and 1.21 the following year cap hit. Its done.... opens up 2 mil in cap space no need to trade assets.

Last edited:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
No interest in giving up our 1st. Just take Ennis and a 3rd for a bucket of stale chicken wings and I'll drive Ennis to the airport myself.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
No interest in giving up our 1st. Just take Ennis and a 3rd for a bucket of stale chicken wings and I'll drive Ennis to the airport myself.
I'd value taking on Ennis as a mid level 2nd. Minnesota doesnt have that so I did the next best thing, move down 13ish spots for dumping Ennis. Moving down 13 spots at that point in the 1st usually is the cost of another mid to late 2nd. A late 3rd is not enough value for taking Ennis on

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'd value taking on Ennis as a mid level 2nd. Minnesota doesnt have that so I did the next best thing, move down 13ish spots for dumping Ennis. Moving down 13 spots at that point in the 1st usually is the cost of another mid to late 2nd. A late 3rd is not enough value for taking Ennis on
After sleeping on it and while not in the immediate aftermath of an effective playoff elimination, I'm not as hostile toward the idea. I still don't think I'd like it, but I at least see the logic.

I do think Minnesota's pick has to end up being higher than 23rd after being eliminated in the 1st round though. Or am I wrong about that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->