Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
In his D+1 season Neil was over a PPG and over 200 PIMs in the OHL ... and he was taken in the 6th round.

If Boucher manages a PPG and 5 PIM/G with the 67s this year ... I'll be impressed.

I'm not expecting, or hoping, Boucher gets 5 PIM/G. Those numbers are pretty rare now.

As to Neil's production, he was 19 years old when he was drafted, as he was an overager. He is one of the few bigs guys I've seen who overcame that type of skating, a lot of which is testament to his work ethic, but he also he got a longer look given the nature of the league back then (Rob Ray was in the NHL too). Not too many guys get 300+ PIMs in the minor anymore, but Neil did it his first two years as a pro in the minors.

For Boucher and expectations, I think we'd all like to see him get some decent ice time and if he gets some PP time (presume he will) then we should hope to see him around a PPG. If he is significantly below that over 40 games or so, that will be a concern.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
if he becomes a josh anderson type as a top 6 powerforward its a solid pick for the sens

lets see

Is Josh Anderson really a top-6 forward though? I know he scored 27 goals once but he is soon going to be 28 years old and has produced more than 30 pts ONCE (47 pts that season)

He also has 37 pts in 77 games with Montreal. Career PPG of 0.44, which is 36 pts per 82 games.

Sounds like Formenton's floor to me.

But at this point, I'd take this outcome for Tyler Boucher with open arms

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Boucher has all the tools to be a very good power forward in the league. He has the luxury of knowing what it takes to make it in the league. It's all a matter of effort; does he want it enough? We'll have to wait and see.

Reactions: aragorn

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
It sounds like he is expected to play this weekend. He trained with the 67's yesterday and should be in the lineup vs Sudbury and North Bay.

Reactions: aragorn and Sicko

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think Boucher is going to be an enforcer, the way he plays he might have to fight occassionally like Tkachuk, but it doesn't do the team any good for him to fight a lot. Where he will come in handy is with big hits separating guys from the puck or them taking their eyes off the puck to avoid getting creamed. He will be a front of the net presence like Tkachuk & drive goalies nuts.

I also think like Tkachuk most of his goals will come from around the net, he's not a playmaker or line driver although I think he will do a little of both. He is going to be another tough SOB to play against making life hell for the opposition & whatever he adds offesnively will be a bonus. It's players like this that will help them win & be very valuable in the playoffs.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Tyler Boucher's stats do not give me a lot of confidence in him becoming a power forward who can play in the top 6 in the NHL.

Tyler Boucher (b.2003) Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

I wouldn’t stat watch with him.
He’s only played 46 games since 2019.

Sens took a huge gamble on him, likely because of character and bloodlines, hoping he turns into the next Tom Wilson.

We literally won’t have any idea of what he is until the end of next year.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He has none of the skill but the way he hits reminds me of a young Ovechkin. Fast, compact, and staples people.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
A lot of people said the same thing about Brady

And most of those same people said very similar things about Norris, Pinto and Formenton too...

And then players like Tom Wilson got drafted 16th OV having a stat line of only 9g/27pts in 49gp... In the OHL no less - and on the same team that former Senator pick Stefan Noesen lead with 82pts - despite having "no skill" himself.

It took Wilson another 6 seasons after being drafted to break out in the form a 35pt season/15pt playoff in the Caps cup run. He produced like Curtis Lazar up until then. And yet chances are they dont win that cup without Wilson on that roster, imo.

And now hes still just 27yrs old, and has in reality spent the last 4 seasons as one of the premier NHL powerforwards - despite have a career high of only 44pts in 68gp.

Point being is that people not only need to chill and be very patient with Boucher, let him simmer (and you do the same) because this could take the better part of 4 or 5 years to see him truly blossom. And maybe readjust your point total expectations a notch or two on Boucher, thats not going to be the biggest part of his game to monitor for growth over the next coming seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Things to ponder

When drafted, Dorion commented on his ability to score from outside the dots.

While in Belleville Mann commented on how hard he shoots the puck. See headline from tsn 1200 interview.

Mann: Tyler Boucher is a powerful skater, has a tremendous work ethic and a great shot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Things to ponder

When drafted, Dorion commented on his ability to score from outside the dots.

While in Belleville Mann commented on how hard he shoots the puck. See headline from tsn 1200 interview.

Mann: Tyler Boucher is a powerful skater, has a tremendous work ethic and a great shot

I wasn't a fan of the pick as high as we grabbed him, but I have a lot of patience with prospects like Boucher. Power forwards will take a bit longer to transition, and I do like his tools and he does a lot of the things that you wish you could get some of the high skill guys to do.

I think worst case scenario we'll get a Lazar type out of him which would be disappointing for sure but I also see the potential for a Brown (not Logan, rather Dustin). Probably lands somewhere in between, 30-40 pts and a terror on the forcheck.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I haven't bought a sens jersey in a long time and if I'm proven wrong and he becomes a decent NHL player I will get a Boucher jersey and I hope I'm wrong.

When is he able to play his first game for the 67?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I haven't bought a sens jersey in a long time and if I'm proven wrong and he becomes a decent NHL player I will get a Boucher jersey and I hope I'm wrong.

When is he able to play his first game for the 67?
Should be this Thursday or Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad