Waived: Ty Rattie placed on waivers by STL (Claimed by Carolina)

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
To those who think Rattie wouldn't be able to cut it on EDM's top line, why do you say that; is Rattie actually that bad to play with? Is it really to the point where McDavid (& Lucic to a lesser extent) wouldn't be able to carry him?

Line 1: Lucic - McDavid - Rattie
Line 2a: Maroon - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi
Line 2b: Cagguila - RNH - Eberle
Line 4: Pouliot - Letestu - Kassian

I'm saying this as a guy who's unfamiliar with the Oilers system, and Rattie for that matter, but these lines don't look bad on paper to me.

He just doesn't do anything, every team has a Rattie in the minors.

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014

So after 30 games with a rough average of 9 minutes of ice time we're just going to write him off? I'm not saying you're wrong BTW, as you're in a way better position to assess Rattie's skills than me considering I've literally never watched him play, but it just seems odd to assume this kid is going to be "bad" regardless of who he plays with or what system he finds himself playing in.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So after 30 games with a rough average of 9 minutes of ice time we're just going to write him off? I'm not saying you're wrong BTW, as you're in a way better position to assess Rattie's skills than me considering I've literally never watched him play, but it just seems odd to assume this kid is going to be "bad" regardless of who he plays with or what team he finds himself on.

Believe me or don't believe me, not a big deal to me. I don't have anything against the guy, but nothing in his game is NHL quality IMO. He'll probably find his way on a bottom feeder and play in a decent amount of games, but he's Pulkkinen without the shot of Pulkkinen.

Rattie will have a great AHL career, like many others, but he's in the Pulkkinen, Kristo, Hensick, etc. tier of players. If you see him play, you'll probably have a similar conclusion.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Every time I hear about this guy, it's about how poor he's doing. And every time, I'm stunned, because I keep mixing him up with Fabbri.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'd love to get him and develop him a bit in WilkesBarre but it'll be impossible to claim him + get him down there.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
If he DOES make it to the Canucks, I would downright floored if the Canucks don't claim him.

Had chemistry with Sven, Canucks badly need more forward depth, can easily send down a guy like Megna or Chaput.

It makes perfect, and logical sense. So we have no chance, god damn it!

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
So after 30 games with a rough average of 9 minutes of ice time we're just going to write him off? I'm not saying you're wrong BTW, as you're in a way better position to assess Rattie's skills than me considering I've literally never watched him play, but it just seems odd to assume this kid is going to be "bad" regardless of who he plays with or what system he finds himself playing in.

The only thing I'll say is that you have to earn your icetime. Rattie apparently never did enough to earn more of a shot than he has gotten in STL. The coaching staff sees what he brings to the table EVERY day in practice, and most would like sell their mothers into slavery to give their team a better chance to win, but most posters know more on HF by looking at a box score, or seeing the statline. It doesn't mean that the coaching staff is infallible, just that they think that Rattie doesn't help put their team in a position to win games compared to other options at the bottom of the Blue's roster.

People act surprised when something like this happens, and most seem to forget that there have been an HUGE number of players who were good enough to play very well at the AHL level, but just can't cut it at the NHL level. Rattie seems to be one of those guys. Hopefully he makes the most of his next opportunity.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
The only thing I'll say is that you have to earn your icetime. Rattie apparently never did enough to earn more of a shot than he has gotten in STL.

People act surprised when something like this happens, and most seem to forget that there have been an HUGE number of players who were good enough to play very well at the AHL level, but just can't cut it at the NHL level. Rattie seems to be one of those guys. Hopefully he makes the most of his next opportunity.

Rattie has legit talent, his skating is nothing great, but you can't teach a shot like that. He needs time.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Just looking at the numbers, I see a guy who had a fantastic junior year, but hasn't really dominated the AHL. Number-wise he seems like the classic case of your middling better than the AHL but not good enough for the NHL. Similar to Reid Boucher?

Considering a second team put a claim into Boucher behind the Devils (which is why they didn't send him immediately to the AHL), I wouldn't be surprised to see them claim Rattie. Hynes specifically said that the team claimed Boucher to have some reliable AHL/NHL depth or to have a guy they can call up when they need a filler. We could claim Rattie and send down Lappin which would essentially do the same for the Devils.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Rattie has legit talent, his skating is nothing great, but you can't teach a shot like that. He needs time.

His shot isn't great, and even if it was, he can create space for himself and he can get and stay in positions to use it. He was a superstar in juniors and a good player in the AHL.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
His shot isn't great, and even if it was, he can create space for himself and he can get and stay in positions to use it. He was a superstar in juniors and a good player in the AHL.

Most people that go on waivers they find mostly faults in them, I have high hopes for Rattie, but I think he needs to find a good spot, IMO the Canucks are 100% the best landing spot for him for potential success.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

then hes the perfect replacement for Eberle, who also doesn't do anything. Especially finish the chances 97 gives him. If Rattie can finish dishes from one of the best players in the world...hes a fit.

Eitherway, I don't see him lasting on the waiver wire for the Oilers to actualy have a realistic shot at claiming him.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB

Im sure a team outside of Hitchcock system can rehab him...much like u guys thought/think Yak can be rehabbed.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Im sure a team outside of Hitchcock system can rehab him...much like u guys thought/think Yak can be rehabbed.

Sure, someone could claim him, but that doesn't mean he'll be successful. He just doesn't have NHL ability IMO. His game is about finding soft spots in the offensive zone, and it's much more difficult to do that in the NHL than in juniors or the AHL. If he can find a way to do that, then he'll succeed, but if he can't, then he'll be nothing.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I'm not sure why people immediately attribute a young player's problems to them playing under Hitchcock. There's a reason guys like Tarasenko/Schwartz/Fabbri have all found success under Hitch and guys like Rattie/Yakupov are unable to.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
He's got a good shot but he cannot create any offense on his own. He's undersized and he's slow, it would be a surprise if he was able to carve a career out for himsef in anything other than a depth player

Wow, that's really hard to accomplish.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

Hitch's system is not the reason the guy is invisible. Talented guys in Hitch's system still stand out. Tarasenko did, Schwartz did, Fabbri did. Rattie has an excellent release on his shot. His hand/eye coordination is pretty good too as he played high level baseball growing up. Other than that, he's pretty meh. I think he could become an okay depth player somewhere, especially a team lacking depth on the wings, but it wasn't going to happen here.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Best of luck to Rattie in Carolina. Funnily enough, the Canes are at St. Louis tomorrow night.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Best of luck to Rattie in Carolina. Funnily enough, the Canes are at St. Louis tomorrow night.

He'll have a great game, score three to four goals, and immediately fans will be calling for Army's head on a pike as he just waived the next great one. :laugh:

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL

Carolina is so cheap, they wouldn't even claim a guy that they had to pay shipping on. They figured they'd just see if they could pick up a guy on the trip.

skilles

Jun 23, 2012
He'll have a great game, score three to four goals, and immediately fans will be calling for Army's head on a pike as he just waived the next great one. :laugh:

Well it is a once valuable asset he let get away for nothing. This is not a big deal as a single event but things are certainly starting to pile up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad