Proposal: TvR for Yak?

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Yea? and the league has been bending rules for a while now, see Pronger, Hornton and Datsyuk.....

If Hossa gets hurt he can go on LTIR like Pronger or Horton. And if he goes overseas, the Hawks can try to trade his cap hit. I'm not sure what you are saying.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
If Hossa gets hurt he can go on LTIR like Pronger or Horton. And if he goes overseas, the Hawks can try to trade his cap hit. I'm not sure what you are saying.

I'm saying I highly doubt the league would force a recapture penalty on the Hawks if Hossa was taken in an expansion draft...

It wouldn't be the Hawks fault...

You can bet Hossa will be exposed, besides the guy only has 4 years left on his deal - Hossa has 4 years left in the tank..

Why the Hell would he just retire anyway when he knows it would screw the Hawks over?

It makes no sense.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I'm saying I highly doubt the league would force a recapture penalty on the Hawks if Hossa was taken in an expansion draft...

You can bet Hossa will be exposed, besides the guy only has 4 years left on his deal - Hossa has 4 years left in the tank..

Why the Hell would he just retire anyway when he knows it would screw the Hawks over?

It makes no sense.

We will agree to disagree on how the league will handle it.

But until the league does what you are suggesting they do, there is no way the Hawks expose Hossa. There's too much risk.

Hossa has 4 years left as you say. I could see him finishing that contract out here. He'd be on a team with a realistic chance to win. If he's in Vegas, that changes the equation. Would he play out the last 4 years for $1 mil in cash on a team that probably is going to suck? I have my doubts. Which is why the Hawks can't expose him unless there is a firm ruling that the NHL would waive the recapture penalty. So again, agree to disagree.

massey1984

Some Guy from the Chicago suburbs
Jun 2, 2009
McHenry County
Would any of you do it? it makes sense to me considering we got Soup now, the Hawks could take a gamble on Yak (who is talented) and I know the Oilers really want to add another younger defenseman.

Of course we also have Pokka who I believe can make this team out of camp...

I would certainly do it.... It could really pay off for the Hawks.

Nope...I wouldn't do this. I'm not opposed to trading TvR after Pokka's World Championships performance, but not for Yakupov.

ozzzie19

May 13, 2015

It makes no sense.
My God, there are several hundred thousand incoherent, rambling, unread words from 50 on this subject that align with your wacky but very very implausible speculation regarding Hossa and the expansion draft. We don't need to rehash this.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Michal Kempny?

Keith-Seabrook
Hammer-Kempny
Pokka-Soup
Gus or Rosy

I don't think the Hawks move TVR. I understand the points you made on Pokka vs. TVR, but Quenneville seems to love TVR. So that means Pokka will have to prove a lot in a short period of time to knock TVR out of his spot.

I also don't think Bowman trades a solid bottom-pairing guy who costs just over $800,000 for the next two years.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Kempny is a LD as is Campbell...So is Gus...TVR is a RD which should mean he should stay in case Rozy goes down with injury...but still do not think they want to let TVR just sit on the pines. ..Soupy Co. Ing in means Arrested Development for Gus..which is unfortunate. .but it is what it is...They will lose either TVR or Gus or Pokka or Darling or Kelliher anyway to expansion..the question is who comes off tge roster in trade NOW to.make room for more $$$ for Vesey if they do not have enough or do not want to carry so much in bonus I've. Rage. Next season w.hen tgey gotta have ad many cap dollars available as possible to re-sign Panarin
..something g has to be
Traded befprecthisbmess is cleared up.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Yea? and the league has been bending rules for a while now, see Pronger, Hornton and Datsyuk.....

It makes no sense.
According to CF - Hossa has an NMC. I'm personally assuming the most restrictive is what's actually happening--ergo the 'hawks are obligated to protect him.

Re: Recapture. I believe the idea of the whole recapture business is that the league figured a lot of those contracts may not have been signed in good faith and there might have been an unspoken agreement that the player retires before the contract termination: Hence the recapture penalty: i.e. "You signed Hossa through age 42 and severely frontloaded his contract to keep the cap hit down. For the last 4 years you'd only pay him $1M even though his cap hit would be $5M+. Thus, we'll hold the team/player accountable for the full duration. Post 2013 lockout you have the 7/8 max length, the cap variance over the total length of the contract, and the 35+ rules to prevent that level of circumvention. I believe that the league is letting the LTIR loophole go, but if the team decides to dump the recapture-risk player into the hockey equivalent of the location of "Deliverance" to rid themselves of the cap without the player's consent, the player could announce their retirement and fire a parting shot at the team--essentially keeping the team honest.

Thus for Hossa--he only moves where he wants to go--and IMHO, if the above is even reasonably close to correct, it counts for him and all of the recapture-risk players across the league (Lou, Weber, Keith, etc.) in terms of expansion. If they're not okay going there it would be like a trade--they let the brass of their team know they don't want to go there, and if the brass is dumb enough to send them anyways they give them a good "Take this job and shove it" parting shot.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Kind of off topic but I still can't believe that NSH is hypothetically on the hook for a $24M Cap hit if Weber retires a year before his contract ends. That's insane.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Kind of off topic but I still can't believe that NSH is hypothetically on the hook for a $24M Cap hit if Weber retires a year before his contract ends. That's insane.

It would be fascinating to see what the NHL would do if he actually retired then. I can't imagine they would stick to that. The Preds would have to sell off half their team for one year. The whole recapture thing is the dumbest rule in all of sports. The contracts were allowed by the league at the time. You shouldn't change the rules after the fact. It's so dumb.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Have we seen the league actually enforce a recapture penalty yet? I wonder if the purpose of the provision was to prevent any other contracts like that to be signed. I just have a feeling the league will let let the current ones slide.

I guess we won't know for sure until one of those contracts tries to retire without LTIR.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Have we seen the league actually enforce a recapture penalty yet? I wonder if the purpose of the provision was to prevent any other contracts like that to be signed. I just have a feeling the league will let let the current ones slide.

I guess we won't know for sure until one of those contracts tries to retire without LTIR.

Maybe there was a behind the scenes discussion of "if this guy is going to retire, make sure they go to the LTIR so we don't have to go after the recapture penalty".

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
According to CF - Hossa has an NMC. I'm personally assuming the most restrictive is what's actually happening--ergo the 'hawks are obligated to protect him.

Re: Recapture. I believe the idea of the whole recapture business is that the league figured a lot of those contracts may not have been signed in good faith and there might have been an unspoken agreement that the player retires before the contract termination: Hence the recapture penalty: i.e. "You signed Hossa through age 42 and severely frontloaded his contract to keep the cap hit down. For the last 4 years you'd only pay him $1M even though his cap hit would be $5M+. Thus, we'll hold the team/player accountable for the full duration. Post 2013 lockout you have the 7/8 max length, the cap variance over the total length of the contract, and the 35+ rules to prevent that level of circumvention. I believe that the league is letting the LTIR loophole go, but if the team decides to dump the recapture-risk player into the hockey equivalent of the location of "Deliverance" to rid themselves of the cap without the player's consent, the player could announce their retirement and fire a parting shot at the team--essentially keeping the team honest.

Thus for Hossa--he only moves where he wants to go--and IMHO, if the above is even reasonably close to correct, it counts for him and all of the recapture-risk players across the league (Lou, Weber, Keith, etc.) in terms of expansion. If they're not okay going there it would be like a trade--they let the brass of their team know they don't want to go there, and if the brass is dumb enough to send them anyways they give them a good "Take this job and shove it" parting shot.

Hossa doesn't have a NMC or NTC anymore.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
My God, there are several hundred thousand incoherent, rambling, unread words from 50 on this subject that align with your wacky but very very implausible speculation regarding Hossa and the expansion draft. We don't need to rehash this.

Nothing I expressed was wacky.

If anything you're just not being open minded.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Out of sheer curiosity, who are we going to get who is better, sum total, than Marian Hossa for the same cap hit or less?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

It was a jaw dropper for me, too. On top of that, if I understand things correctly, the potential cap penalty goes down the longer he stays with the team. If that's true, I really don't get the benefit (all things considered) in trading for Subban.

As far as Yak goes, I really don't see how anyone who has paid attention to Q over the last 7 years or whatever it is could seriously imagine things working out between him and Yak. Yak is everything Q hates in a player.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Hossa doesn't have a NMC or NTC anymore.

Source? - Both General Fanager and CapFriendly have him listed as an NMC.

I trust both of those sites over Ecklund or JJ--two bloggers with less credibility than the National Enquirer.

Last edited:

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
You don't trade Hossa for multiple reasons. One, he's still a pretty good hockey player. Two, you want control of that contract. After next year he will probably hit LTIR with chronic back issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad