Proposal: TvR for Yak?

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
Where's the Scudari retained salary?

Well that would be moot considering Rundblad was just waived and I would assume now the Hawks are going to bury him.

So there you go 900k more and Scuds retention is what? 1.2?

So the Hawks will have $4,000,000 with 20 guys signed.

HawksFan86

Jul 2, 2011
Pokka is going no where - he's going to be a stud.

Pokka will be eligible for expansion draft won't he due to his time in AHL, given we have to protect Keith/Seabs/Hammer, seems like a player that would likely be taken by Vegas.

Am I wrong in thinking we can't protect him?

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
Pokka will be eligible for expansion draft won't he due to his time in AHL, given we have to protect Keith/Seabs/Hammer, seems like a player that would likely be taken by Vegas.

Am I wrong in thinking we can't protect him?

Well, Vegas can only take one player from one team.

I know players that have played less than 2 years pro are exempt and I'm sure there is a minimum amount of games a player has to play at the pro level to be considered "pro".....

According to this site Hossa doesn't have a NTC/NMC

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/chicago-blackhawks/cap/

I would certainly expose Hossa and protect Pokka and Panarin.

HawksFan86

Jul 2, 2011

I know players that have played less than 2 years pro are exempt and I'm sure there is a minimum amount of games a player has to play at the pro level to be considered "pro".....

Speculation I saw was only able to protect 3 D, if that's the case Pokka and TVR would be exposed.

*Edit - looked again looks like options are 7 F - 3 D - 1 G or 8 skaters and 1 G so guess he could be covered

**Edit - Also those are the rules not speculation.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Blackhawks are not going to expose Hossa and risk recapture penalties.

HawksFan86

Jul 2, 2011
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there is an option to protect 4 if you drop how many forwards you protect.

This is correct, 8 skaters and a G or 7/3/1.

Has anyone tried to break it down and see which is most likely for us, all NMC are auto protects and we have a lot of those.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
Speculation I saw was only able to protect 3 D, if that's the case Pokka and TVR would be exposed.

*Edit - looked again looks like options are 7 F - 3 D - 1 G or 8 skaters and 1 G so guess he could be covered

**Edit - Also those are the rules not speculation.

Well, we have 6 NMC's and 1 NTC..

HawksFan86

Jul 2, 2011
Toews
Kane
Hossa
Anisimov
Keith
Seabrook
Hjalmarsson
Crawford

All have NMC (besides Hossa per general fanager) so I guess we are actually likely to protect Pokka as well then, seems we fit the 8 skaters and goalie better than the 7/3/1.

This is of course assuming Panarin isn't eligible given only 2 professional seasons in NA, if not that would change a lot.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
Blackhawks are not going to expose Hossa and risk recapture penalties.

The NHL should waive recapture penalties if a player is taken via expansion.

I'm sure there will be discussions about that going into finalizing the expansion draft rules.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

I'm sure there will be discussions about that going into finalizing the expansion draft rules.

I don't see why they would. Don't get me wrong, I think the recapture is dumb as the contracts where signed within the rules at the time. But given that they've decided that the recapture is the way to go, I don't see why going to an expansion team would effect that, when getting traded doesn't.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
Toews
Kane
Hossa
Anisimov
Keith
Seabrook
Hjalmarsson
Crawford

All have NMC (besides Hossa per general fanager) so I guess we are actually likely to protect Pokka as well then, seems we fit the 8 skaters and goalie better than the 7/3/1.

This is of course assuming Panarin isn't eligible given only 2 professional seasons in NA, if not that would change a lot.

Anisimov has a NTC.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
I don't see why they would. Don't get me wrong, I think the recapture is dumb as the contracts where signed within the rules at the time. But given that they've decided that the recapture is the way to go, I don't see why going to an expansion team would effect that, when getting traded doesn't.

Because expansion is different from trading a player... I think recapture is stupid too but it wouldn't be like the Hawks are trading Hossa.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

I doubt it, why would they?

They want to punish teams that got the services of a player for a cap number significantly below their salary for the bulk of the contract.

Why would they forgive all the cap benefit that Chicago has accrued just because Hossa was selected in an expansion draft, rather than traded. Same rules apply, you can't get all the benefits of the years where cap hit < salary, then foist the years where cap hit > salary on somebody else without the fear of reprisal that comes with early retirement.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I believe it is an NTC for AA. That said, I expect the Hawks to protect him.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
I doubt it, why would they?

They want to punish teams that got the services of a player for a cap number significantly below their salary for the bulk of the contract.

Why would they forgive all the cap benefit that Chicago has accrued just because Hossa was selected in an expansion draft, rather than traded. Same rules apply, you can't get all the benefits of the years where cap hit < salary, then foist the years where cap hit > salary on somebody else without the fear of reprisal that comes with early retirement.

Because being claimed via forced expansion is different from trading a player.

I could see if the Hawks traded him for personal gain but that wouldn't be the case here.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Because expansion is different from trading a player...

Why would the league treat it differently? They've decided that recapture is necessary to keep it fair or whatever the rationale is. In that respect, trading isn't any different than the expansion draft. The original team still benefitted from the contract and should have to pay that back.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
Of course there are other ways to protect Pokka..... Say the Hawks agree to give up a pick or a protected prospect to Vegas in exchange for them not taking Pokka... That has happened many times in past expansions an mergers.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Because being claimed via forced expansion is different from trading a player.

I could see if the Hawks traded him for personal gain but that wouldn't be the case here.

I don't think the league cares about getting something back vs nothing back.

They view the disparity in salary and cap hit as cap circumvention, and they want to punish teams that attempt to get out of the 'down years' where the cap hit exceeds the salary.

HawksFan28

Apr 2, 2006
Why would the league treat it differently? They've decided that recapture is necessary to keep it fair or whatever the rationale is. In that respect, trading isn't any different than the expansion draft. The original team still benefitted from the contract and should have to pay that back.

Yea? and the league has been bending rules for a while now, see Pronger, Hornton and Datsyuk.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad