Tv Coverage Rant thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilersrule14

May 13, 2003
Visit site
I don't have a problem with CBC switching to other competitions involving Canadians. Not having more than one channel to broadcast these games is what I have a problem with. Does anybody else find it sad that according to the people here, Americans get to see every hockey game, Europeans get to see every hockey game, but Canadians, who claim hockey as their national pasttime, do not.

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
dok101 said:
Are you kidding me? We have coverage of practically every minute of every single hockey game and you are crying about this. Some people will always find something to complain about. :shakehead
Overall, I agree, their coverage has been great (still can't stand McGuire, but I'll let that slide). I was thrilled to find out they were going to show all the hockey games (live, too!). However, this is the TV coverage rant thread, and my pet peeve with the coverage was that with almost 12 hours of hockey coverage today, they couldn't find a few minutes in there to give us some injury updates.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
The day is over and I am infuriated further. Is CBC blocking TSN from showing extra hockey? Are TSN CBC's toy and not a partner? Anyone in the know here? I was expecting nothing less than every hockey game minus the overlapping parts much like most of the rest of the free world are getting. Hard to stomach after watching Emanuelle Can'tdu falling all over the place. Watched the Dutch go in a heap while racing Italy!! Teamskating!! Brutal. I sent my complaint in, it is all a person can do.

Last edited:

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
I love NBC's coverage. Doc, JD, and Pierre (I don't care what you all say, I enjoy "Baldy" as my 7-year old brother calls him) are great. Dave Strader, Brian Hayward and Joe Micheletti have been good.

Only problem, Kenny Albert. He's just not good on TV. Where is Cuthbert?? Isn't he an NHL On NBC guy? He seems to be the only one who's not there.

Ron Burgundy and Chicken Parm rule the studio.

PROGRAMMING NOTE: Both USA games this weekend are on the NBC mothership. In fact, NBC gave the US Hockey Team the 10:30 AM-1:00 PM timeslot on Sunday and will program nothing else in between or interrupting it.

Miracle80

Jan 30, 2006
Rochester, NY
The USA coverage of hockey has been great, meaning they are showing all games. The quality of the commentators leaves much to be desired. Total homers, and I don't mean just USA, but NA. USA and Canada is all they care about, and they are constantly calling players by the wrong names. Today they interviewed 6 Canadians, in between periods and post game, but not a single German. Most of the time they aren't even calling the game but talking about peripheral crap. They will go to a commercial after a penalty is called and never tell you who took the penalty. I could go on for days with these petty complaints, but from what I've read around here we Americans are getting the best deal.

2 days of 12+ hours of hockey coverage=over analysis

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Stevedude530 said:
I love NBC's coverage. Doc, JD, and Pierre (I don't care what you all say, I enjoy "Baldy" as my 7-year old brother calls him) are great.
I agree completely. Emrick, in particular, has done sensational play-by-play as usual. His call is so exciting.

Stevedude530 said:
Where is Cuthbert?? Isn't he an NHL On NBC guy? He seems to be the only one who's not there.
I've wondered the same thing. He has been fantastic on the NBC weekend games. I would love to hear him on some of these.

Stevedude530 said:
PROGRAMMING NOTE: Both USA games this weekend are on the NBC mothership. In fact, NBC gave the US Hockey Team the 10:30 AM-1:00 PM timeslot on Sunday and will program nothing else in between or interrupting it.
Outstanding. More kudos to NBC. :clap:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
oilersrule14 said:
I don't have a problem with CBC switching to other competitions involving Canadians. Not having more than one channel to broadcast these games is what I have a problem with. Does anybody else find it sad that according to the people here, Americans get to see every hockey game, Europeans get to see every hockey game, but Canadians, who claim hockey as their national pasttime, do not.

Wait, CBC only has one channel? I was under the impression that like the government funded national tv station's in Finland and Sweden, they'd have 2 channels.

mug3n

Jan 15, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Jason MacIsaac said:
Best amateur athletes
Actually, we've already got a tournament for amateurs. It's called the World Junior Hockey Championships, if you haven't noticed already.

Well, there's always that option of sending 40-year-old guys who play after work to the Olympics. Must be the "best amateur athletes" that the world's got.

Mace_37 said:
What about the figure skaters who they say before they even skate "This guy is good, but he's known for making huge mistakes" which translates to "He doesn't stand a chance". Then why am I watching him instead of hockey?
Err, there's more to the Olympics than just winning medals. It's the sportsmanship and participation that comes before winning. It's too bad you feel that way, but I'm sure there are people out there that don't and just wants to watch our Canadian athletes compete out there and see how they stack up for the next Olympics.

If the Olympics were just about winning, that would undermine the whole purpose of the Olympics.

Mr Kanadensisk

May 13, 2005
The CBC should be showing as wide a variety of different events as it can, I have no problem with them showing Luge, skating or whatever is going on.

The unfortunate thing is that the CBC didn't let TSN broadcast the Sweden - Russia game in its entirety. Another annoyance is that the CBC's exclusive rights allow it to block the CNBC and MSNBC hockey coverage in Canada.

TSN is airing five of the Men's Olympic hockey games, but only USA-SVK will be an "elite seven" head to head game. I'm sure TSN would have loved to broadcast the game today.

Once again our government is dictating what we can watch.
Too bad!!!

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Mr Kanadensisk said:
The CBC should be showing as wide a variety of different events as it can, I have no problem with them showing Luge, skating or whatever is going on.

The unfortunate thing is that the CBC didn't let TSN broadcast the Sweden - Russia game in its entirety. Another annoyance is that the CBC's exclusive rights allow it to block the CNBC and MSNBC hockey coverage in Canada.

TSN is airing five of the Men's Olympic hockey games, but only USA-SVK will be an "elite seven" head to head game. I'm sure TSN would have loved to broadcast the game today.

Once again our government is dictating what we can watch.
Too bad!!!

I am sick about the money fights with the big TV stations! Sportsnet is reduced to showing video stills! This is ridiculous!

Vman

Mar 10, 2003
hfboards.com
MissCanuck said:
That was just pathetic by CBC... frigging first heats of Skeleton. Oooooh exciting!!!! Not. :madfire:

Send your comments, bottom of the page.
Everybody please send your comments. I know that CBC will do this again for future games and cut to other events. It's frustrating when you're waching a game like Swe vs Rus and then they show speed skating all of a sudden!

Last edited:

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Quiet Robert said:
I disagree with this. Hockey is our national sport and I'm pretty sure most people would rather watch a good hockey game, even if Canada isn't playing than stuff like figure skating or luge.

I say just show the hockey games and if Canada does well in some other event show it on delay. Imo more people are interested in hockey than watching the 1st heat of the 5000m speed skating competition.
No way. I like hockey and all but the Olympics only come every 4 years and I want to see other Canadian athletes perform. It's the only time we really see them. Can't you people appreciate other sports?!?

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Mace_37 said:
What about the figure skaters who they say before they even skate "This guy is good, but he's known for making huge mistakes" which translates to "He doesn't stand a chance". Then why am I watching him instead of hockey?
Because that's when you could see the amazing performance of Evgeni Plushenko and a very nice skate from Jeff Buttle who was 6th after the short program and went up to 3rd. Gosh, you people are such whiners and closed minded. I for one am happy that I can see different sports.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Jussi said:
Wait, CBC only has one channel? I was under the impression that like the government funded national tv station's in Finland and Sweden, they'd have 2 channels.
Well, we have CBC and Radio-Canada, that's two channels but one's in English, the other one's in French so basically, both show pretty much the same thing of the games. Then there's the two only news channels also in English and French. So four in total.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Vman said:
Everybody please send your comments. I know that CBC will do this again for future games and cut to other events. It's frustrating when you're waching a game like Swe vs Rus and then they show speed skating all of a sudden!
Yes, I will send them my comments and will thank them for showing the speedskating event. Those were exciting races and it was nice seeing many different athletes perform.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
SensGuy said:
Quite impressed with the job MSNBC has done, showing non-stop hockey. The only thing I don't like is how they don't show the full 60 minutes of most games because of other games being played. But I think they've done a good job so far.

I agree. I think it's great that between them and USA I can catch all the games (so much for getting any work on the LSAT done...). Agree with the gripe about injuries, but I don't think it's been TOO bad and I feel like it's been outweighed by the coverage they've had. Ferraro is one of my favorite analysts and I think he and Clement have been doing a pretty good job, all things considered.

CRUNK JUICE

Nov 19, 2002
Austin, TX
webspace.utexas.edu
Miracle80 said:
The USA coverage of hockey has been great, meaning they are showing all games. The quality of the commentators leaves much to be desired. Total homers, and I don't mean just USA, but NA. USA and Canada is all they care about, and they are constantly calling players by the wrong names. Today they interviewed 6 Canadians, in between periods and post game, but not a single German. Most of the time they aren't even calling the game but talking about peripheral crap. They will go to a commercial after a penalty is called and never tell you who took the penalty. I could go on for days with these petty complaints, but from what I've read around here we Americans are getting the best deal.

2 days of 12+ hours of hockey coverage=over analysis

While I agree to an extent, they're also playing to their target audience. Most of the people watching are casual fans at best who don't really care one way or the other what Archie Irbe or MArcel Goc have to say (which is unfortunate). But at the same time, they've also been willing to give credit where is due (Slovakia's play so far, Russia's win over Sweden, the heart Italy showed in coming out intent on taking it to Canada).

By the same token, they've also been fair in their assessment of the US's performance so far. Criticizing a number of missed chances and passive play against Kazakhstan, the Latvia game (although I can't really say I'm that upset about that one, as a US fan. I've always liked Archie a lot and wish him the best. Can't wait to see him against Russia, and with all due respect to the Russian fans on here, I'm hoping one final upset against you guys as kind of a swan song for the little guy with the god awful pads).

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
mymkovski said:
Sure it was Skeleton. But there are other Canadian athlete we don't hear about ever. This is their stage, their time to represent their country.

noone cares about them

all skeleton is is reverse-luge

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Tricolore#20 said:
These people also want to see the big events, and quite frankly the Russia-Sweden game probably wasn't the biggest event today.

Ovechkin vs. Sundin definately had appeal to Canadian viewers, especially those in Ontario

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
nneate said:
I will be hunting my satellite for this NBC everyone is raving about, I guess I can't rely on good old Canadian television. Then again, I havn't had much praise for CBC lately anyways, showing a ******* leafs game every saturday night, whether it fits the 7:00 start time or not.

I cant find NBC anywhere on my satellite...what gives?

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Jason MacIsaac said:
Best amateur athletes

it isnt the best amature athletes, its the best athletes. period.

get with the program buddy, what year are you from?

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Epsilon said:
This myth again? Very few sports in the Olympics have true amateurs. Most of them are either outright proffesionals (such as the skiiers) or they get sponsorship cash. Not being a member of a North American "big 4" sports league does not automatically mean you are an amateur.
:clap:

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
mug3n said:
Actually, we've already got a tournament for amateurs. It's called the World Junior Hockey Championships, if you haven't noticed already.

Those kid's by and large arent amature either. All non-college kids are considered pro players and they all get paid in some capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad