Tv Coverage Rant thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Okay, so CBC starts coverage of Russia/Sweden hockey game. Great first period.Suddenly, 3 minutes into the second, they cut to team speed skating, and do not go back to the hockey game once.(If they did go back, it had to be for periods of 30 seconds or less...I channel surfed, trying to find another channel covering the game) Then, they go to ladies skeleton. I appreciate that Canadian athletes were participating in these events, but there were plenty, and I mean plenty of opportunities to go back to the hockey game.Even for short periods would have been nice. Finally, with about 4 minutes left in the third, they did. I missed all 5 goals.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
NBC has done well with the hockey coverage so far. The only thing I wish they'd do is put games on multiple channels if more than one is going on at the same time at the two venues.

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
CBC has to have one of the worst coverages. Seriously, skeleton?? and THE FIRST HEAT???? that's more important than russia-sweden??? awful but hey i didn't expect anything good out of that channel.

DevilsFan38

Apr 21, 2004
Jersey
What I can't stand about NBC is their complete failure to keep the fans updated when it comes to injuries. I don't think the announcers even mentioned that Rafalski wasn't playing for team USA yesterday, and even if they said that in passing they certainly didn't say what was wrong. Same deal with Elias, the announcers didn't even notice that he wasn't playing today until the third period! There might be others out there, I was only really paying attention to the Devils players, but this is starting to drive me crazy.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Namso said:
CBC has to have one of the worst coverages. Seriously, skeleton?? and THE FIRST HEAT???? that's more important than russia-sweden??? awful but hey i didn't expect anything good out of that channel.

I did, unfortunatly :cry:

I had CBC, French CBC, RDS, TSN, ABC, MSNBC and CNBC but could not find the game on any of them after CBC cut it. Its not like they couldn't have taped delayed something so we could have seen at least some of the hockey in between either.... :madfire:

illogic

Apr 12, 2005
Well, a lot of people are not strictly hockey fans and do want to see the events that the Canadian athletes are participating in, rather than a Sweden/Russia hockey game. Hell, there are probably a lot of people that aren't even sports fans but will watch the Olympics.

Jazz

illogic said:
Well, a lot of people are not strictly hockey fans and do want to see the events that the Canadian athletes are participating in, rather than a Sweden/Russia hockey game. Hell, there are probably a lot of people that aren't even sports fans but will watch the Olympics.
That's all fine and dandy.

I can understand pulling away for the Canadian SF in the speed skating, but did we need to see the NED vs ITA SF? Could that have not waited until the intermission? :madfire:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
octopi said:
Okay, so CBC starts coverage of Russia/Sweden hockey game. Great first period.Suddenly, 3 minutes into the second, they cut to team speed skating, and do not go back to the hockey game once.(If they did go back, it had to be for periods of 30 seconds or less...I channel surfed, trying to find another channel covering the game) Then, they go to ladies skeleton. I appreciate that Canadian athletes were participating in these events, but there were plenty, and I mean plenty of opportunities to go back to the hockey game.Even for short periods would have been nice. Finally, with about 4 minutes left in the third, they did. I missed all 5 goals.

That reminds me of the last Olympics, where CBC cut away from an entertaining hockey game (I believe it was Russia-Belarus) to show the 1000th replay of Salei and Pelletier's free skate, something like 3 days after it first happened.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Jazz said:
That's all fine and dandy.

I can understand pulling away for the Canadian SF in the speed skating, but did we need to see the NED vs ITA SF? Could that have not waited until the intermission? :madfire:

Thats what I was getting at when I made the "tape delay' comment. That and women's skeleton. Are you kidding me?!

The real kicker is that the speed skating will be replayed later today...probably twice.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Quite impressed with the job MSNBC has done, showing non-stop hockey. The only thing I don't like is how they don't show the full 60 minutes of most games because of other games being played. But I think they've done a good job so far.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
SensGuy said:
Quite impressed with the job MSNBC has done, showing non-stop hockey. The only thing I don't like is how they don't show the full 60 minutes of most games because of other games being played. But I think they've done a good job so far.

I wonder if NBC's full coverage has anything to do with that poll we skewed. :sarcasm:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
SensGuy said:

I think they are doing a pretty good job of giving at least a good taste of every game even if they don't show the whole thing. Since there are so many games being played every day it's pretty much the best they can do.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
SensGuy said:

Unfortuantly, the MSNBC coverage appers to not be showing in Canada. Here I was all happy because I have MSNBC on digital cable and thought I would be able to switch up if one channel dropped the ball. :shakehead

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
SensGuy said:
I agree. Between MSNBC showing non-stop hockey and covering every game, USA Network covering every Team USA game, and local radio coverage here in Denver, it's been heaven.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Epsilon said:
I think they are doing a pretty good job of giving at least a good taste of every game even if they don't show the whole thing. Since there are so many games being played every day it's pretty much the best they can do.
Yeah, I understand why they can't do it, because there ARE other events going on in the Olympics so they can't have all hockey on each channel. They've done a good job, hope they can continue when they switch over to CNBC this weekend.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
CBC sucks

At least they showed the entire Russia-Slovakia game yesterday.

However, I expected them to show some of the other big games (like Russia-Sweden) in their entirety.

They had Czechs-Finns on schedule for Saturday when I checked a few days ago, now I don't see it. Not to worry, every Canadian game will be shown 2-3 times!

It doesn't even appear they will be showing all the quarterfinal games (just one or two?)! This could be the most balanced Olympic tournament ever, and there's absolutely no excuse not to show all the QFs. :rant:

CBC, you guys suck! :madfire:

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
Sorry to burst your bubble...but the Olympics are more than just hockey, especially Non-Canadian hockey games...

If anything, I've been impressed with CBC's coverage of the hockey. They've given it a lot of face time on the TV. It's a huge balancing act.

Sure it was Skeleton. But there are other Canadian athlete we don't hear about ever. This is their stage, their time to represent their country.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Over here you have YLE1, YLE2, YLE24 and Eurosport showing hockey, so far every game has been televised.

dok101

Jan 2, 2006
New York
DevilsFan38 said:
What I can't stand about NBC is their complete failure to keep the fans updated when it comes to injuries. I don't think the announcers even mentioned that Rafalski wasn't playing for team USA yesterday, and even if they said that in passing they certainly didn't say what was wrong. Same deal with Elias, the announcers didn't even notice that he wasn't playing today until the third period! There might be others out there, I was only really paying attention to the Devils players, but this is starting to drive me crazy.

Are you kidding me? We have coverage of practically every minute of every single hockey game and you are crying about this. Some people will always find something to complain about. :shakehead

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
mymkovski said:
Sorry to burst your bubble...but the Olympics are more than just hockey, especially Non-Canadian hockey games...

If anything, I've been impressed with CBC's coverage of the hockey. They've given it a lot of face time on the TV. It's a huge balancing act.

Sure it was Skeleton. But there are other Canadian athlete we don't hear about ever. This is their stage, their time to represent their country.

I totally agree. We are a hockey community here, thus we care most about hockey. But I can assure you there are countless others who simply watch the Olympics to support Canada, and don't care about Russia-Sweden. These people also want to see the big events, and quite frankly the Russia-Sweden game probably wasn't the biggest event today.

No matter what CBC does, they will alienate part of the population. That's the challenge in broadcasting the Olympics, and it is no different here. Let's be thankful that for the most part, we're all able to watch the most important games in the Olympics.

nneate

Jul 24, 2005
Canada
Pretty disappointed with CBC today, missed all of the great action in a Sweden/Russia game after showing us the first period, and having the whole game scheduled to be shown on their site, only to cut it out 4 minutes into the second.

I will be hunting my satellite for this NBC everyone is raving about, I guess I can't rely on good old Canadian television. Then again, I havn't had much praise for CBC lately anyways, showing a ******* leafs game every saturday night, whether it fits the 7:00 start time or not.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Tricolore#20 said:
I totally agree. We are a hockey community here, thus we care most about hockey. But I can assure you there are countless others who simply watch the Olympics to support Canada, and don't care about Russia-Sweden. These people also want to see the big events, and quite frankly the Russia-Sweden game probably wasn't the biggest event today.

No matter what CBC does, they will alienate part of the population. That's the challenge in broadcasting the Olympics, and it is no different here. Let's be thankful that for the most part, we're all able to watch the most important games in the Olympics.

Well if CBC didn't bogart the exclusive rights to the Olympics, then we could probably see more games. I am sure Sportsnet would be interested in airing the hockey games. It'd get better ratings then the usual crap SN airs at 6 in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->