Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Listening to F&M it sounds like Tuukka has been terrible. Mazz said he would stop just short of saying he's been garbage because his D has left him out to dry so many times.

Don't bother with those dopes.

And yet, it is clear to me that Rask isn't worth the money. Recall the mysterious illness that befell him at crucial moments. Too sick to play for the Finnish national team. Too sick to play for the Bruins in the Ottawa game that ended their season.

Kirk Luedeke wrote that he also had an attitude. As in, when the B's win, we played well. When they lose, it's the poor play in front of me.

Not a fan, though at this point little can be done.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Don't bother with those dopes.

And yet, it is clear to me that Rask isn't worth the money. Recall the mysterious illness that befell him at crucial moments. Too sick to play for the Finnish national team. Too sick to play for the Bruins in the Ottawa game that ended their season.

Kirk Luedeke wrote that he also had an attitude. As in, when the B's win, we played well. When they lose, it's the poor play in front of me.

Not a fan, though at this point little can be done.
Ah, so we are going to keep going back to the 3 games he was sick and forget about the numerous Playoff games he won. Guess those weren't crucial enough, meaningless games and wins.

I actually bet all 205 career wins were meaningless games against non-playoff games. Same with all 38 career shutouts, I bet none meant a thing.

Any sources for this Kirk article, I have never personally seen it.

Reactions: BruinsNetwork

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Boston Sports Journal's Joe McDonald writes Tuukka is already fed up

BSJ is a monthly subscription site with excellent Bruins coverage

LAS VEGAS – This was a long time coming and it finally occurred only five games into the 2017-18 season for the Boston Bruins.

Tuukka Rask made it publicly clear that he’s not happy with the team’s 2-3-0 record to start the season. After the Vegas Golden Knights defeated the Bruins 3-1 Sunday night at T-Mobile Arena, the goalie, the backbone of the team, somewhat subtly voiced his displeasure.

When asked about the team’s inconsistency, Rask answered without answering.

“I just try to go out there and give us a chance to win every night,” Rask said. “That’s what I’m focused on. I’m not going to comment anymore on team play that much. We can just talk about goaltending.”

Rask isn’t the prototypical goalie. He doesn’t have that proverbial goaltender mentality. He’s not odd. He’s straight-laced and down to earth. So, for him to avoid discussing the team is a bit odd, but it was clearly a veteran move on his part to get his point across.

“That’s just the way it is — sorry,” he said when asked why he wouldn’t talk about the team’s overall performance. Many might think it’s too early in the season for a veteran to make a statement but it’s a good sign that Rask is taking this step.

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
Surprised this topic is buried. Anyone still drinking the Kool-Aid? He looks absolutely lost out there.
Can't trade him because of his outrageous salary. But I think he needs to be the backup for awhile and let Dobby take over.

Reactions: Strafer

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Surprised this topic is buried. Anyone still drinking the Kool-Aid? He looks absolutely lost out there.
Can't trade him because of his outrageous salary. But I think he needs to be the backup for awhile and let Dobby take over.
You know someone has an agenda when they seriously think that Khudobin is a better option (who's also injured).

No doubt he has had a rough start, but no way is Dobby or McIntyre the answer.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I think you mean that the sample size speaks for itself.

How about you post lundqvist and price's worse stats?

Agenda

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I think you mean that the sample size speaks for itself.

How about you post lundqvist and price's worse stats?

Agenda

The last full season Tuukka was worth his salary was 2013-14.

The last 3 full seasons he's dipped closer to average starter than being elite.

Tuukka starts this season off with less than impressive numbers.

It's not an agenda when we are discussing what's actually happening right now. It's a small sample yes, but it's a whole month of the NHL season, which for a team that has been on the cusp for the last 3 seasons, that can mean a lot in April. It's not all on Tuukka, and hell, we all WANT Tuukka to be that Tuukka we saw years ago, but it hasn't been for a whole season for a while. He got injured, I get it. He's recovering, I get it. He's overworked later in the season, I get it. But end of the season, we can have all the excuses in the world, his numbers need to be better if the Bruins hope to remotely have any success.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Reactions: smithformeragent

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

It's not an agenda when we are discussing what's actually happening right now. It's a small sample yes, but it's a whole month of the NHL season, which for a team that has been on the cusp for the last 3 seasons, that can mean a lot in April. It's not all on Tuukka, and hell, we all WANT Tuukka to be that Tuukka we saw years ago, but it hasn't been for a whole season for a while. He got injured, I get it. He's recovering, I get it. He's overworked later in the season, I get it. But end of the season, we can have all the excuses in the world, his numbers need to be better if the Bruins hope to remotely have any success.

He played last year with a groin that needs surgery. Ive never been an nhl goalie but my gut says that might effect their play?

But reguardless of that... ill just let you name me an nhl goalie without a worst 3 year stretch on the resume. Obviously it should be easy for you to find me the name of a single goalie that is elite every year and hasnt gone through a three year stretch of average results.

With 31 starting goalies to choose from you must have so many names you can use here to shut me up

Or... hmmm... maybe not?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Since we wanted to pile on rask first 6 games lets look at last 4

We see he has allowed only 8 goals on 108 shots... better than 920 save percentage

Only 8 goals... 2 games went to ot.... thats less than 2 goals against average

Team has only scored 6 goals but weve only lost 1 game in regulation

I think some fans that want to crap on rask after 6 games might be feeling very embarrassed as he gets healthy here and shows us his career norm performance

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
It's an agenda when you are the other guy who goes missing when Tuukka has good games and only posts when Tuukka is struggling or puts up less than stellar numbers.

I give props when he plays a good game. Great game even better. He just played a good one tonight. I'm more than rooting for him keep that up.

As for overall, for the whole season, I'm saying I want to see that goalie we had several years ago. Maybe we're spoiled. The cup and the trip to the finals makes me expect more from the players that got us there before.

Let's see at the end of the season. Is he back in the conversation for elite goalies? Or is the past 3 seasons the new norm? I'm not shitting on him, it's a statistical fact right now that his play isn't in the top tier over the course of the past 3 seasons vs the 3 prior to that. And overall, if you are fine with his play for the past 3 seasons as a whole, more power to you. We can agree to disagree at that point.

I don't know how or why people call it crapping on him. People get so goddamn defensive when we say we want one of our players play to their capability. We all know he can be a good goalie. And he does it, he just used to do it better and more consistently (many variables here, yes, we know them all). The reasons why he hasn't been, some of which are very legitimate, still doesn't change we as fans wanting our great players to be great. That's all, and that's all I'm saying.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Oct 31, 2008
He played last year with a groin that needs surgery. Ive never been an nhl goalie but my gut says that might effect their play?

But reguardless of that... ill just let you name me an nhl goalie without a worst 3 year stretch on the resume. Obviously it should be easy for you to find me the name of a single goalie that is elite every year and hasnt gone through a three year stretch of average results.

With 31 starting goalies to choose from you must have so many names you can use here to shut me up

Or... hmmm... maybe not?

Did I say his excuses weren't legit?

I've said his numbers have gone done since he was statistically an elite goalie, and I think 3 years (excuses or not) are enough to have a concern. Not sure why you are so defensive on that.

Anyways, he played well tonight, keep it up.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs

I'm not surprised you didn't post in this thread after last night game...

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

That's also the last time the team in front of him was a Cup contender.

Reactions: wintersej

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

7 mill is outrageous? Not in this league. I "think" only Lundqvist and Bobvrosky are paid more than Tuukka until next year when Price`s newest extension kicks in at an "outrageous" price tag.

Crawford only makes a mill less than Tuukka and has 3 rings, THAT is outrageous, other than him, plenty of goalies on this list below who haven`t done something that Rask has done, win a ring

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/average/goaltender/

Reactions: What The Puck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad