Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Why hasn't he played like one of the top goalies in the NHL the past two seasons?

To me, Tuukka's capable of playing high-quality minutes for long stretches of time, but he's also far more inconsistent then you'd like to see out of your franchise goalie. I wonder if some of that inconsistency is due to the number of minutes he's been forced to play, but if your franchise goalie is only capable of giving you 45-50 quality starts a year, doesn't that diminish his value?

Over the past 4 years he's played the most games in the league, 60ish should be the target. Even this year he was tied for third with 65 games. The goalies that played more than him were Cam Talbot and Frederik Anderson, not Price, Lundqvist, Rinne, etc. I think an extra 3 or 4 games off spread out along the season would have helped him a lot.

I think the "issues" with his performance are overblown, the only major stat he wasn't top 5 in this year was save %.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Why hasn't he played like one of the top goalies in the NHL the past two seasons?

To me, Tuukka's capable of playing high-quality minutes for long stretches of time, but he's also far more inconsistent then you'd like to see out of your franchise goalie. I wonder if some of that inconsistency is due to the number of minutes he's been forced to play, but if your franchise goalie is only capable of giving you 45-50 quality starts a year, doesn't that diminish his value?

The year Rask won his Vezina, he started 58 games.

The years Thomas won his, he started 55 and 57 games.

That should be the target. Get a backup than give you 20-25 quality games and Rask (like TT) will give you his best. It's great to have a workhorse that can go 72 games, but then again, those guys tend to hit the wall come playoff time. I would rather have my starter go less than 60 games regular season and then have something left in the tank for the postseason.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
the year rask won his vezina, he started 58 games.

The years thomas won his, he started 55 and 57 games.

That should be the target. Get a backup than give you 20-25 quality games and rask (like tt) will give you his best. It's great to have a workhorse that can go 72 games, but then again, those guys tend to hit the wall come playoff time. I would rather have my starter go less than 60 games regular season and then have something left in the tank for the postseason.

bingo

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with a much improved d corps. He's inconsistent, there's no argument against that, but I'm happy we have him moving forward. I think he's gonna have an amazing year next year.

Completely agree that 60 should be a pretty hard cap for his games played.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with a much improved d corps. He's inconsistent, there's no argument against that, but I'm happy we have him moving forward. I think he's gonna have an amazing year next year.

Completely agree that 60 should be a pretty hard cap for his games played.

55 is 2/3 and we can see now that Claude ran the last 2 teams into the ground starting with the goalie

Is there any doubt had Cassidy been coach with his calm handling of the team and installing confidence in the back up they make it

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
He doesn't hold up to being overplayed and and he's had surgery in the off season. I agree, the back up needs to take 20-25 games off him and whoever they choose for back up, they need to commit to this. Its not worth avoiding a handful of ugly games with the back up just to have your starter's numbers take a nosedive for a month or two later in the season.

I don't think its the only reason things have been up and down for Rask the past couple seasons but I definitely think its part of it. I'd certainly like to see where he's at if you remove the fatigue factor. Smoothing out his inconsistency and taking a step forward on defense would go a long way to help this team compete.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
55 is 2/3 and we can see now that Claude ran the last 2 teams into the ground starting with the goalie

Is there any doubt had Cassidy been coach with his calm handling of the team and installing confidence in the back up they make it

He "ran the last two teams into the ground"!?!?

How many months did it take for the backup to win a game? How about the GM get a better backup during that period so they don't lose every game Rask sits?

And in response to the original question, I take Holtby over Rask any day of the week.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The year Rask won his Vezina, he started 58 games.

The years Thomas won his, he started 55 and 57 games.

That should be the target. Get a backup than give you 20-25 quality games and Rask (like TT) will give you his best. It's great to have a workhorse that can go 72 games, but then again, those guys tend to hit the wall come playoff time. I would rather have my starter go less than 60 games regular season and then have something left in the tank for the postseason.

True, but its unlikely the Bruins could have made the playoffs the last few years with Rask getting under 60 games. Its a lot easier to give the number 1 guy a break when the team is not in danger of missing the playoffs.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
True, but its unlikely the Bruins could have made the playoffs the last few years with Rask getting under 60 games. Its a lot easier to give the number 1 guy a break when the team is not in danger of missing the playoffs.

So, in other words, you are agreeing that the B's need a quality backup that can handle 25 games without a ton of dropoff from Rask?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
He "ran the last two teams into the ground"!?!?

How many months did it take for the backup to win a game? How about the GM get a better backup during that period so they don't lose every game Rask sits?

And in response to the original question, I take Holtby over Rask any day of the week.

You can have Holtby I'll take Rask every day and twice on Sunday

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Agreed. Holtby just can't raise his game for whatever reason.

Holtby gagged in the playoffs

He's playing in back of the deepest lineup in hockey

He's good but overrated

Rask played a playoff game behind 2 guys who didn't play a regular season game (Cross & McAvoy) another (Morrow) who hadn't dressed since February and another (Liles) who was a scratch 7 of last 9 games

Check out Holtby defense

No comparison in skills to me. Rask hands down

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Holtby gagged in the playoffs

He's playing in back of the deepest lineup in hockey

He's good but overrated

Rask played a playoff game behind 2 guys who didn't play a regular season game (Cross & McAvoy) another (Morrow) who hadn't dressed since February and another (Liles) who was a scratch 7 of last 9 games

Check out Holtby defense

No comparison in skills to me. Rask hands down

Can't disagree. Holtbys team and defense was stacked.

Btw why am I posting on HF? I'm posed to be relaxing, right? ;)

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Is there doubt. Sure.

Just wondering exactly how Cassidy instilled that confidence in Kodobbie?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I can remember Stan Fischler once writing he'd take Mike Milbury over Ray Bourque every day and twice on Sunday.

I'm not insulted you are belittling my Rask assessment because you have forgotten more hockey than I'll ever know

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Is there doubt. Sure.

Just wondering exactly how Cassidy instilled that confidence in Kodobbie?

Remember the source is me. Sweeney honk and 'all is rosy in Bruins Land':laugh:

You should know by now the guy behind the curtain is an old Kansas con man'

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'm not insulted you are belittling my Rask assessment because you have forgotten more hockey than I'll ever know

Not really belittling.

Just happened to remember Stan the sham using those (nearly) exact words. He may have been a bit more off base than you. (I know you like that off base analogy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad