Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
If anything Bruins fans are very fair, Rask has the best stats of all time and no one is trying to claim he is the best goalie of all time.

Reactions: Chief Nine

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I believe I have been very fair and reasonable. I don't have biases, I react to what happens and then form opinions based on that. There is no inherent bias.

if that were actually true, you should be one of Rask's biggest cheerleaders.

Among goalies with at least 20 starts (aka starters):

Rask's 2.17 GAA is best in the league
Rask's .921 sv% is T-6th in the league

what you actually are is a biased person with an agenda against a player...a wannabe Felger

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
If anything Bruins fans are very fair, Rask has the best stats of all time and no one is trying to claim he is the best goalie of all time.

I'd say just about everyone on this board has said Tuukka has had his bad times and didn't make excuses. He had a tough year last year and Khudobin being ineffective in the first half didn't help. Whether Tuuka's issues were injuries or fatigue doesn't matter. Most people on here were calling it as it was.

Reactions: Tampbear

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
if that were actually true, you should be one of Rask's biggest cheerleaders.

Among goalies with at least 20 starts (aka starters):

Rask's 2.17 GAA is best in the league
Rask's .921 sv% is T-6th in the league

what you actually are is a biased person with an agenda against a player...a wannabe Felger
I don't base my opinions on 3 month samples. He has had a great past month and a half, nobody is denying that. Still don't think he's worth the cap hit and it'll take a lot to change my mind on that. But I'm willing to have it changed.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I don't base my opinions on 3 month samples. He has had a great past month and a half, nobody is denying that. Still don't think he's worth the cap hit and it'll take a lot to change my mind on that. But I'm willing to have it changed.
People have shown that he's been one of the best goalies in the entire NHL over the past 5 years. Is 5 years not a big enough sample for you. Admit it, you have an agenda against Tuukka and nothing will sway your from it. I contend you absolutely are NOT willing to have your mind changed. Otherwise the overwhelming evidence would have changed it already.

Since you don't seem to want to do it, here's a site that lays it our pretty simply: NHL Goalie Stats in Last 5 Seasons. In short, over the last 5 years, Tuukaa's stats, compared to goalies with at least 100 GP over that span:
Games Played - #1 (287)
GAA - #3 (2.28)
SV% - T3 (0.921)
Wins - #2 (155)
Shutouts - #2 (24)

Over the past 5 years, Tuukka has been a top3 goalie in the entire NHL. His numbers mark him as elite. Not the past 3 months, THE PAST 5 SEASONS. Now try and say it's not simply an agenda.

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

then how about for a career?

Rask career: .923 sv% 2.24 GAA
Price career: .919 sv% 2.43 GAA
Lundqvist career : .920 sv% 2.33 GAA
Luongo career: .919 sv% 2.50 GAA
Rinne career: .918 sv% 2.38 GAA
Bobrovski career: .920 sv% 2.45 GAA
Holtby career: .921 sv% 2.35 GAA

Better career sv% and GAA than his direct contemporaries...Let's see how you move the goalposts this time...

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
People have shown that he's been one of the best goalies in the entire NHL over the past 5 years. Is 5 years not a big enough sample for you. Admit it, you have an agenda against Tuukka and nothing will sway your from it. I contend you absolutely are NOT willing to have your mind changed. Otherwise the overwhelming evidence would have changed it already.

Since you don't seem to want to do it, here's a site that lays it our pretty simply: NHL Goalie Stats in Last 5 Seasons. In short, over the last 5 years, Tuukaa's stats, compared to goalies with at least 100 GP over that span:
Games Played - #1 (287)
GAA - #3 (2.28)
SV% - T3 (0.921)
Wins - #2 (155)
Shutouts - #2 (24)

Over the past 5 years, Tuukka has been a top3 goalie in the entire NHL. His numbers mark him as elite. Not the past 3 months, THE PAST 5 SEASONS. Now try and say it's not simply an agenda.

then how about for a career?

Rask career: .923 sv% 2.24 GAA
Price career: .919 sv% 2.43 GAA
Lundqvist career : .920 sv% 2.33 GAA
Luongo career: .919 sv% 2.50 GAA
Rinne career: .918 sv% 2.38 GAA
Bobrovski career: .920 sv% 2.45 GAA
Holtby career: .921 sv% 2.35 GAA

Better career sv% and GAA than his direct contemporaries...Let's see how you move the goalposts this time...
I never said he wasn't elite, never said he doesn't have some of the best stats, blah blah blah.

My point about him, and every other goalie making 6/7 million (or god forbid, more) dollars a year, is that they are not worth their cap hit. That money is better spent on the team in front of them. That's the nature of the position in the modern NHL. None of them are consistent enough to warrant that cap hit, they all give up soft goals at the worst times, they all are just about the same. There are no real difference makers in the modern NHL. There is no Brodeur, no Roy, no Hasek.

A couple of .01% points on averaged out stats don't mean anything. You can lump them altogether, the point remains - it's stupid to build from the net out in the modern NHL. The money is bette spent elsewhere.

For all those goalies listed by the second poster, I have a statistic for you:

Rask career: 0 Stanley Cups (as a starter)
Price career: 0 Stanley Cups
Lundqvist career : 0 Stanley Cups
Luongo career: 0 Stanley Cups
Rinne career: 0 Stanley Cups
Bobrovski career: 0 Stanley Cups
Holtby career: 0 Stanley Cups

None of them are worth their cap hit either, this isn't just a Rask thing for me. All of those teams (especially Montreal, lmao) are moronic for paying their goalies like that.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I never said he wasn't elite, never said he doesn't have some of the best stats, blah blah blah.

My point about him, and every other goalie making 6/7 million (or god forbid, more) dollars a year, is that they are not worth their cap hit. That money is better spent on the team in front of them. That's the nature of the position in the modern NHL. None of them are consistent enough to warrant that cap hit, they all give up soft goals at the worst times, they all are just about the same. There are no real difference makers in the modern NHL. There is no Brodeur, no Roy, no Hasek.

A couple of .01% points on averaged out stats don't mean anything. You can lump them altogether, the point remains - it's stupid to build from the net out in the modern NHL. The money is bette spent elsewhere.

For all those goalies listed by the second poster, I have a statistic for you:

Rask career: 0 Stanley Cups (as a starter)
Price career: 0 Stanley Cups
Lundqvist career : 0 Stanley Cups
Luongo career: 0 Stanley Cups
Rinne career: 0 Stanley Cups
Bobrovski career: 0 Stanley Cups
Holtby career: 0 Stanley Cups

None of them are worth their cap hit either, this isn't just a Rask thing for me. All of those teams (especially Montreal, lmao) are moronic for paying their goalies like that.
I think you're in a significant minority, including people who actually run hockey teams for a living. But OK.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
for sh*ts and giggles...here's the playoff stats:

Rask: .928/2.12
Price: .914/2.53
I feel the exact same way about Price as I do Rask. Montreal is s-t-o-o-p-i-d for paying him. That 10 million dollar a year contract is the worst thing in the history of written documents. But I'm thrilled that they were the idiots to make that mistake. Couldn't be happier.

I think you're in a significant minority, including people who actually run hockey teams for a living. But OK.
I'm fine with being the minority. I'm not trying to change anyone's minds, just trying to speak my own.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Rask was crazy good against the Devils. Massive save after massive save. You don't go on a 17 game point streak without elite goaltending. Tuukka has been a huge reason for the Bs amazing success.

Reactions: Chief Nine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad