Tucson Roadrunners Discussion - Western Conference Champions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Well here's a transcript of a conference call with Van Ryn and Steve Sullivan.

http://tucsonroadrunners.com/news/?article_id=514

Van Ryn, on his experience in working as a Development Coach with the Coyotes for the past year:
It's been a pleasure. If you get to know these kids - young men, really -they're passionate, they're extremely polite, and they want to learn, and that's the biggest thing. They want information, they want to know how to get better, they want to know what it takes, and they want a clear path on how they've got to get there.

I had sort of felt ho-hum about this team with Lamb still on board after the disappointing finish last year and his buddy Tipp leaving, so this as at least restored my excitement in the team, much like the changes for the Coyotes did.

I'm still curious if they plan on adding a vet goalie, or another center.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I really like that both the GM and coach of our AHL team are development guys. Having a winning culture and solid AHL vets is very important too, but I think you need to make it clear that developing for the big club is just as important as winning.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I really like that both the GM and coach of our AHL team are development guys. Having a winning culture and solid AHL vets is very important too, but I think you need to make it clear that developing for the big club is just as important as winning.

If Otters fans are to be believed, Van Ryn wasn't exactly great at communicating what the Coyotes wanted to see happen with their prospects, so this move is probably for the best.

I didn't see any pressing need to get rid of Lamb but the purge must go on.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Heads up on Ryan Culkin: He was really good in his 20/21 year old AHL season (2014-15) and looked like a first callup type deal at one point as Adirondack's 1D. Then a season-ending freak injury happened (skateblade cut his wrist) followed by a random injury as he tried making his comeback (hurt his shoulder during the September rookie tourney). He just hasn't built the consistency since then to look like the prospect he once was. However that doesn't preclude him from having a bounceback year if your farm team has some icetime to spare for an excellent-skating, strong passing PMD. Upside is probably a #5 NHL defensemen if he does pan out. Wishing him all the best as Injuries / Kylington / Kulak kind of marginalized him more than he probably deserved.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Heads up on Ryan Culkin: He was really good in his 20/21 year old AHL season (2014-15) and looked like a first callup type deal at one point as Adirondack's 1D. Then a season-ending freak injury happened (skateblade cut his wrist) followed by a random injury as he tried making his comeback (hurt his shoulder during the September rookie tourney). He just hasn't built the consistency since then to look like the prospect he once was. However that doesn't preclude him from having a bounceback year if your farm team has some icetime to spare for an excellent-skating, strong passing PMD. Upside is probably a #5 NHL defensemen if he does pan out. Wishing him all the best as Injuries / Kylington / Kulak kind of marginalized him more than he probably deserved.

Interesting thanks.

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
I'm still curious if they plan on adding a vet goalie, or another center.

No vet goalie with the Howser signing, two Coyote draft picks fighting it out with two undrafted FA signings, Howser and Miska.

Howser's story:

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2013-07-10/sports/fl-florida-panthers-michael-houser-0711-20130710_1_robb-tallas-panthers-development-camp-cincinnati-cyclones

And moment of infamy from January:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/echl-goalie-knocked-punch-brawl-article-1.2944654

And who comes on in relief after Howser gets tossed? Mark Visentin, who lets in the game winner.

Here's a write-up on the Miska signing:

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/arizona-coyotes-tucson-roadrunners/2017/4/23/15362040/tucson-roadrunners-arizona-coyotes-hunter-miska-minnesota-duluth-bulldogs-frozen-four-ncaa

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Some more of Van Ryn with Tucsonlocalmedia

Sullivan said he wanted to bring in a young coach that could connect and communicate well with players, all traits Sullivan said the 38-year-old Van Ryn has in spades. “His thought process, to be honest with you, is fantastic,” Sullivan said. “How he’s always trying to find a way to be better. He’s always thinking about the game, and he’s truly a student of the game, and that’s what I enjoy most about him.”
http://www.tucsonlocalmedia.com/sports/article_ded18212-7700-11e7-993f-735e529a89c4.html

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
With all the emphasis on being able to connect and communicate with young players this off season, one might almost think there was an organizational problem with that before...

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Rally towels as the opening night giveaway is a great idea. Way better than the Coyotes lame-ass fridge magnet thing. I can understand wanting to save white outs for the playoffs but magnets? Who knows though, the light up bracelet thing at the Coyotes' last home opener looked cool.

RRs are also retiring Cunningham's number. Very cool.

Also, "Car Window Shade Giveaway" is so Arizona :laugh:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Team garage sale? Even the Coyotes have never done that. To my knowledge.

I'm not sure if they labeled it a yard sale, but a few years back during training camp they had tables set up with old giveaway items for sale. Iirc it was for the coyotes wives charity.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Team garage sale? Even the Coyotes have never done that. To my knowledge.

I'm not sure if they labeled it a yard sale, but a few years back during training camp they had tables set up with old giveaway items for sale. Iirc it was for the coyotes wives charity.

Coyotes have done it a few times and yes it was for the charities. In the Roadrunners case it might involve some of the Reebok gear left over from last season. Might be seeing those proceeds going to their new "Roadrunners Give Back" foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille