Tucker Poolman Discussion (UPD: signed to one year ELC for 2017-18)

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
I think it's 50/50 we sign him. Sure, we are close and down the road, and can sign him first, but UFA would be pretty tempting.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well you know that I've been tracking his Corski and Fenwicz for four years now not to mention I developed PCS (Polish consulting service)! I've always been a big fan of his, kinda like Holden with Dano :laugh:

Its great to have a prospect that you follow and like. Niku has been that guy for me (but not to the same level as you or Holden) but it is not out of watching him and liking his game (although in my limited viewings I like what I see) its more out of desperation :laugh:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
You are out to lunch man.
Chiarot defends equally well but can't handle the puck. The guy is like an icing a game player.

One icing per game is Chiarot playing without his usual steely focus. When he's really dialled in he can ice it twice in a shift.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Zinger spoke about Poolman last night and it sounds like we have an excellent shot at signing him IMO. His dad is the strength coach at UND, and his mom really wanted him to play with his brother. Sounds like a very close family situation as many here have mentioned. Zinger said on top of that one of the people high up in UND was a former Moose coach (can't remember the name) he was still a strong advocate for the Jets. Craig did however caution that Hakstol was his former coach though (as in we have the inside track but you never know).

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Zinger spoke about Poolman last night and it sounds like we have an excellent shot at signing him IMO. His dad is the strength coach at UND, and his mom really wanted him to play with his brother. Sounds like a very close family situation as many here have mentioned. Zinger said on top of that one of the people high up in UND was a former Moose coach (can't remember the name) he was still a strong advocate for the Jets. Craig did however caution that Hakstol was his former coach though ( as is we have the inside track but you never know).

Hakstol coached him in Poolman's 1st year at UND - didn't he have him playing forward most of that season?

Anyway, I hope Poolman's mom likes Winnipeg... :laugh:

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Hakstol coached him in Poolman's 1st year at UND - didn't he have him playing forward most of that season?

Anyway, I hope Poolman's mom likes Winnipeg... :laugh:

Brad Berry is the Head Coach at UND starting last season and had been an assistant for the three years prior. Ties to Winnipeg are that he was a Moose assistant for two years (06-07 & 07-08) and played for the Jets off and on between '86 and '90.

And Hakstol did use him as a forward during Tucker's freshman year, however he still played the point on the powerplay. Why that happened was that the Sioux had a rash of injuries at forward and needed Poolman to play forward to ice a full lineup and he played so well and the coaches liked him for the power play, that he stayed in the lineup, even after getting healthy. Kind of like the Jets did with Adam Pardy only for his PK versus his PP skills.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I think it's 50/50 we sign him. Sure, we are close and down the road, and can sign him first, but UFA would be pretty tempting.

Being able to play 2 hours from home is enough reason for me to believe he will sign with us. His family can easily travel to see him play along with his friends. He would be given an opportunity to make an impact on the team and is in demand since we are thin on the point.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Brad Berry is the Head Coach at UND starting last season and had been an assistant for the three years prior. Ties to Winnipeg are that he was a Moose assistant for two years (06-07 & 07-08) and played for the Jets off and on between '86 and '90.

And Hakstol did use him as a forward during Tucker's freshman year, however he still played the point on the powerplay. Why that happened was that the Sioux had a rash of injuries at forward and needed Poolman to play forward to ice a full lineup and he played so well and the coaches liked him for the power play, that he stayed in the lineup, even after getting healthy. Kind of like the Jets did with Adam Pardy only for his PK versus his PP skills.

Don't forget the owner's very strong ties to UND as well. There is more reason to believe he signs with Winnipeg than not.

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
You are out to lunch man.
Chiarot defends equally well but can't handle the puck. The guy is like an icing a game player.

I have to disagree. In all reality, Postma puts his dpartner in awful situations constantly. It's usually up to Ben to give Postma a clear break with time and space in order to move the puck. You'll often see Postma give a puck he can't move, to his partner, Postma avoids the hit and plays it right to his partner who has to smother the puck, take a hit, or chip it off the glass and out.

Postma shouldn't even be near the NHL. He does one thing well, walking the puck along the blue line in the ozone. But, he usually shoots right into a defender right after a nice drag along to blueline.

Poolman is a far better player, on his edges more effectively, a far better first step.

Postma can't get off the ice fast enough, he's brutal.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I have to disagree. In all reality, Postma puts his dpartner in awful situations constantly. It's usually up to Ben to give Postma a clear break with time and space in order to move the puck. You'll often see Postma give a puck he can't move, to his partner, Postma avoids the hit and plays it right to his partner who has to smother the puck, take a hit, or chip it off the glass and out.

Postma shouldn't even be near the NHL. He does one thing well, walking the puck along the blue line in the ozone. But, he usually shoots right into a defender right after a nice drag along to blueline.

Poolman is a far better player, on his edges more effectively, a far better first step.

Postma can't get off the ice fast enough, he's brutal.

Chiarot is useless, Postma is far more skillled than he is and would likely have better numbers if he didn't have to drag that boat anchor around.

Poolman a superior player? The guy has never stepped foot in the NHL and is soon to be 25. He's playing against boys comparatively, I'm not betting the farm on that.

BrianFromAIH

Long Time Lurker
Jun 16, 2012
Warren, OH, USA
Chiarot is useless, Postma is far more skillled than he is and would likely have better numbers if he didn't have to drag that boat anchor around.

Poolman a superior player? The guy has never stepped foot in the NHL and is soon to be 25. He's playing against boys comparatively, I'm not betting the farm on that.

This.

Also, where'd you find your AVI out of curiousity? (I'm the one who made it :sarcasm: )

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Minny is only 2 hours farther than Winnipeg from Grand Forks do does that really matter.
The 92.5k should be enough to get him to sign.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Minny is only 2 hours farther than Winnipeg from Grand Forks do does that really matter.
The 92.5k should be enough to get him to sign.

2 hours? Do you own a rocket? It's 320 miles, I've done that drive well over a hundred times, in my dreams it's 2 hours.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
google maps is off by 45 minutes then, not me.
where is it 45 minutes off?

240 miles from st pauls to fargo and another 75 to gf. give or take thats 315. at 60mph that's 5.25 hours not 4.5

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
240 miles from st pauls to fargo and another 75 to gf. give or take thats 315. at 60mph that's 5.25 hours not 4.5

who does under the speed limit nowadays???
check google

75 mph in ND.
70 mph in MN.
315/70 = 4.5

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
315-135=180 miles. don't care how fast you go you aren't doing that in 2 hours.

oh, you don't stop at the border?
it is at minimum 2 1/4 to get to grand forks but this is about Poolman so this is my last comment on distances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad