Tucker Poolman Discussion (UPD: signed to one year ELC for 2017-18)

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Agreed.

I'm *hopeful* Poolman can be an upgrade, but I am not going to assume he is.

NCAA -> NHL is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig jump

Absolutely.

I'm hopeful too. If he can be an upgrade to Postma great, if not, c'est la vie. But we need a quality 3rd pairing.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In the big picture not many college players go the UFA route, Vesey and Schultz are recent examples but they are in the minority. The Jets haven't had trouble signing any of their NCAA players to date, why is Poolman an issue?

Poolman is a decent player but people acting like he's a lock to make the Jets next Fall underscores their lack of depth on defense. They can't afford to be letting guys like Postma go right now unless they plan to sign a better piece in the off season. Going into next season with Poolman already written in as your #5 D would be a little short sighted.

In the big picture not many good prospects play their 4th year of NCAA. Of those who do, how many go the UFA route?

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
In the big picture not many good prospects play their 4th year of NCAA. Of those who do, how many go the UFA route?

Poolman is well known to be a late bloomer and he's a 5th round draft pick, he's not Charlie McAvoy.

Playing an additional year with his brother on a UND team that had most of it's roster returning and have a good chance at repeating, probably sounded more fun than a year with the Moose. He can do that next season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Agreed.

I'm *hopeful* Poolman can be an upgrade, but I am not going to assume he is.

NCAA -> NHL is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig jump

It's a big jump, but it's not that uncommon for a top NCAA defenseman to fit right into an NHL line-up. Poolman would slot into a bottom-pairing role, and it wouldn't be a huge stretch to imagine him doing that.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It's a big jump, but it's not that uncommon for a top NCAA defenseman to fit right into an NHL line-up. Poolman would slot into a bottom-pairing role, and it wouldn't be a huge stretch to imagine him doing that.

I agree, I think he's capable. He's developed well, the age thing doesn't bother me as he's not s top pairing guy anyway but bottom pair. I think they sign him as soon as und is finished, and if we are outve the playoffs he plays ahead of postma to see what we got.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree, I think he's capable. He's developed well, the age thing doesn't bother me as he's not s top pairing guy anyway but bottom pair. I think they sign him as soon as und is finished, and if we are outve the playoffs he plays ahead of postma to see what we got.

Absolutely no risk to signing him and seeing what he can do. By then it is post TD so roster limits are relaxed so you don't even need to risk losing one of your other D on waivers.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary

I could literally list more of examples of NCAA defencemen who were better and more sought after than Poolman who weren't NHL calibre than I would ever care to type on here. I would say it's not common, especially for players Poolman's age and I doubt the proportion of defencemen which graduate straight to the NHL that are still CHL aged is higher or lower in any noteworthy amount.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Poolman is well known to be a late bloomer and he's a 5th round draft pick, he's not Charlie McAvoy.

Playing an additional year with his brother on a UND team that had most of it's roster returning and have a good chance at repeating, probably sounded more fun than a year with the Moose. He can do that next season.

Is he? I would say more like known to have started late and therefore always been 2 years older than those he is being compared to.

I think there would be a lot of teams very interested in him. He is a good, not great prospect.

All of your statements are of little relevance to my post unless you are stating that he is still in the NCAA because he is not a good prospect. The fact the Jets tried to sign him in each of the last 2 off-seasons says otherwise.

Your statement was "In the big picture not many college players go the UFA route, Vesey and Schultz are recent examples but they are in the minority. The Jets haven't had trouble signing any of their NCAA players to date, why is Poolman an issue?"

That is true but for it to relate to Poolman we have to look only at those NCAA prospects who get to this position. That does not mean including all those NCAA players who have little or no NHL potential.

Him being a late bloomer or not is entirely irrelevant. So is his desire to play with his brother. That year with the Moose would have been worth about 160k. Do you think another year at UND was that much more fun? He can't get that 160k back. There is no mechanism for that. The relevant fact is that he will have arrived at the point where he has the UFA option. Of those players who get to that point, how many take that route?

All the arguments supporting him signing with the Jets have been made several times. We don't have any idea how he values some of those aspects. Jets can still offer some financial incentives that no one else can. The Jets clearly still have an advantage but it is not a lock.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Is he? I would say more like known to have started late and therefore always been 2 years older than those he is being compared to.

I think there would be a lot of teams very interested in him. He is a good, not great prospect.

All of your statements are of little relevance to my post unless you are stating that he is still in the NCAA because he is not a good prospect. The fact the Jets tried to sign him in each of the last 2 off-seasons says otherwise.

Your statement was "In the big picture not many college players go the UFA route, Vesey and Schultz are recent examples but they are in the minority. The Jets haven't had trouble signing any of their NCAA players to date, why is Poolman an issue?"

That is true but for it to relate to Poolman we have to look only at those NCAA prospects who get to this position. That does not mean including all those NCAA players who have little or no NHL potential.

Him being a late bloomer or not is entirely irrelevant. So is his desire to play with his brother. That year with the Moose would have been worth about 160k. Do you think another year at UND was that much more fun? He can't get that 160k back. There is no mechanism for that. The relevant fact is that he will have arrived at the point where he has the UFA option. Of those players who get to that point, how many take that route?

All the arguments supporting him signing with the Jets have been made several times. We don't have any idea how he values some of those aspects. Jets can still offer some financial incentives that no one else can. The Jets clearly still have an advantage but it is not a lock.

I have no idea what you're going on about, my very first post said it makes complete sense to sign Poolman. The context was let's not be letting guys like Postma go expecting Poolman is going to walk in and be better, or even as good as he is.

I don't think the Jets are worried about signing Poolman, I haven't heard a thing to suggest that, anyway it's ot , this is more about Postman.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
let's not be letting guys like Postma go expecting Poolman is going to walk in and be better, or even as good as he is.

You're 100% right. If Poolman is going to have an NHL future, he can prove that he deserves it with the Moose. Anyone suggesting he can step right in and play 3rd pair is just as naive as those that said Lemieux should be on our 4th line this season. I realize that he's older than Lemieux but the jump is big and there's no incentive for Chevy to apply that much blind faith.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Poolman is at the very least an open box of crackers in an otherwise pretty bare LD prospect cupboard. If we're lucky he might turn out to be a full box, or even a case of condensed soup! ;)

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Poolman is at the very least an open box of crackers in an otherwise pretty bare LD prospect cupboard. If we're lucky he might turn out to be a full box, or even a case of condensed soup! ;)

He's a RD. He played the final half of last season on the left side.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I admit that I know almost nothing about the guy, but I believe that guys who play out their 4th year in NCAA are more likely not to sign with the NHL team that drafted them, than they are to sign with them. I really doubt that the Jets believe this guy is getting anything more out of NCAA and would like to have him playing with the Moose right now. That said, it's unlikely (not impossible) that he's anything more than a bottom pairing guy, eventually. He'd have to learn the pro game first as it's rare that a player can come in that quick and have an impact right away, even at a reduced role.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have no idea what you're going on about, my very first post said it makes complete sense to sign Poolman. The context was let's not be letting guys like Postma go expecting Poolman is going to walk in and be better, or even as good as he is.

I don't think the Jets are worried about signing Poolman, I haven't heard a thing to suggest that, anyway it's ot , this is more about Postman.

I responded to one specific statement that you made. It was technically correct but quite misleading. This post I mostly agree with.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Is he not playing on the left side this year too?

I don't think so.

From games 4 & 18 (the only ones I could find):
UND%2Bline.jpg
13151853_wmu-vs-und-game-2-lines-and-stats_7abb9d46_m.jpg

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

What advantages to the Jets have?

As far as I know (and I'm not a CBA expert) the one advantage the Jets have is they could sign Poolman either right now, or immediately after UND's season is over, which would give him a bit of cash this year, plus burn a year of his ELC.

Problem I see though is that the Jets last game is April 8th, which is also the day of the finals of the Frozen Four. And since UND won the damn thing last year, there's a real chance they make it into the Frozen Four again this year (though I checked, and right now they're only ranked 12th).

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
What advantages to the Jets have?

As far as I know (and I'm not a CBA expert) the one advantage the Jets have is they could sign Poolman either right now, or immediately after UND's season is over, which would give him a bit of cash this year, plus burn a year of his ELC.

Problem I see though is that the Jets last game is April 8th, which is also the day of the finals of the Frozen Four. And since UND won the damn thing last year, there's a real chance they make it into the Frozen Four again this year (though I checked, and right now they're only ranked 12th).

They're a pretty meh team this year, I don't think they'll make it near the FF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad