Tucker Poolman Discussion (UPD: signed to one year ELC for 2017-18)

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
Yup, after all he is 24 so he's Scheifele's age. Having said that the level of competetion last night wasn't close to NHL calibre so I think some people are reading a bit too much into his play. It was definitely promising but he's going to need to replicate this throughout camp as lineups get stronger and vets shake off the rust.

So you’re saying “small sample size”, “early to rush to judgement” but nonetheless “pretty good for someone coming off shoulder surgery in their first pseudo-NHL game, with maturity being a factor”?

Last edited:

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
His offensive skills looked really good but I'd would like to see how he defends a bit more. He might be another Postma (but I don't think so).

Some of the HF training camp updates indicated that he did pretty well in the one on one and rush drills (defending). He also won an award as the top defensive defenceman in College hockey last year. So there's that... :naughty:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Article in his hometown paper
Poolman makes Winnipeg opening-night roster

In six years, Tucker Poolman has gone from being cut by some North American Hockey League teams to making an NHL opening-day roster.
The Winnipeg Jets made their final preseason cuts Tuesday, and when they were done, the East Grand Forks Senior High and UND graduate was still standing.

Poolman’s NHL debut may not be imminent -- he has been skating on the fourth defensive pair in practice -- but it is expected to happen sometime this season.

Winnipeg opens the regular season against the Toronto Maple Leafs at 6 p.m. Wednesday, then goes on a three-game road trip to Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

“We’re very happy for him,” UND coach Brad Berry said. “We’re very excited for him. He’s put himself in this position to earn that. He’s going to have to continue to play well and keep working hard to have a career, but he’s done a great job setting himself up to have a great career in front of him.

“He didn’t do it the traditional way, obviously. He was patient with the process and now he’s getting rewarded for it.”

Poolman’s journey to the NHL was a remarkable one.

Read the rest here

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spo...8-poolman-makes-winnipeg-opening-night-roster

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Article in his hometown paper
Poolman makes Winnipeg opening-night roster

In six years, Tucker Poolman has gone from being cut by some North American Hockey League teams to making an NHL opening-day roster.
The Winnipeg Jets made their final preseason cuts Tuesday, and when they were done, the East Grand Forks Senior High and UND graduate was still standing.

Poolman’s NHL debut may not be imminent -- he has been skating on the fourth defensive pair in practice -- but it is expected to happen sometime this season.

Winnipeg opens the regular season against the Toronto Maple Leafs at 6 p.m. Wednesday, then goes on a three-game road trip to Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver.

“We’re very happy for him,” UND coach Brad Berry said. “We’re very excited for him. He’s put himself in this position to earn that. He’s going to have to continue to play well and keep working hard to have a career, but he’s done a great job setting himself up to have a great career in front of him.

“He didn’t do it the traditional way, obviously. He was patient with the process and now he’s getting rewarded for it.”

Poolman’s journey to the NHL was a remarkable one.

Read the rest here

http://www.grandforksherald.com/spo...8-poolman-makes-winnipeg-opening-night-roster

Nice to see they're still thinking about him back in Fargo. ;)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Tucker Poolman becomes first from EGF to play in NHL

Tucker Poolman texted his father, Mark, late Monday afternoon to tell him the news: He was going to make his NHL debut with the Winnipeg Jets in a couple of hours.

Mark responded: "Work hard, have fun."

It was the only thing to say.

"It's the same thing I said to him every day since peewees and squirts," Mark said. "Why would I change now?"

Poolman became the first hockey player from East Grand Forks to play in the NHL on Monday night when he suited up for the Jets in Edmonton against the Oilers.

Mark wasn't able to make it to Edmonton, because Tucker got the call last minute, filling in for the injured Dustin Byfuglien of Roseau, Minn.

Instead, Mark quickly ordered the NHL's Central Ice package and invited some family members over to watch and he started reminiscing.

"That's the big thing," Mark said. "Just thinking back."

It's been quite a story for the Poolmans.

More here

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4340958-tucker-poolman-becomes-first-egf-play-nhl

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Personally i like him he has an excellent first pass and is not a goat on to many plays with time will be a solid 5-6 guy

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
I don't know that we really have any idea what we have in this guy. I'm intrigued and want to see more. I hope he make it into more games this year, to get a better sense on him.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
How much better/worse is he vs Tyler Myers?
Poolman? Well you're probably not going to get much offense out of him - but you don't really get much out of Myers at even strength anyway. This season was a bit lower than his average - he put up 0.79 p/60 and his average prior to this year was 0.97. We don't have a huge sample on Poolman but he's probably not going to score at even that rate. Poolman's CF/60 and CA/60 are better than Myers, but we only have 20 games to go on. Myers' has a pretty mudane CF/CA/60 (51.69 CF/60, 56.75 CA/60, 47.58 CF%) numbers but he played big minutes on some bad Buffalo teams for years.

On the powerplay you'd have Trouba or Morrissey trying to fill Myers' shoes, and Myers was quite productive there last season...although that production last season appears to be a big outlier for him. I wouldn't expect that in the future.

Myers' average before this season was 2.57 p/60 on the PP. He put up a 5.97 p/60 this year!

Trouba's average over his career so far is 2.23 p/60.

Morrissey is 1.72/60, but the sample is very small as he's only seen around 73 minutes of PP time total. He's got the smarts to run the point I think.

Bottom line is I think the Jets would be fine without Myers, but if a few guys get injured (and they will) he'd be missed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad