TSN: TSN1040 Vancouver: Contract talks with Gallagher have stalled and broken off

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The point is Habs management is going to go to Gallagher and say look we made moves to make the team better like you wanted and now don't have money for you unless you give us a discount.

But that's a hard sell (And somewhat disrespectful) when you are spending so much money on backup goalies, bottom pairing D-men, and "top-6" players with questionable production.
It's the cost of doing business.

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
That his obvious that hes asking more than 6m. Bergevin even said that Gallagher were to be the most paid forward in this team before making all those moves. For Gallagher agent to come out and say this , probably triggered Bergevin a guy that doesnt love to talk about contracts and trade in publics.

Also he won't get ever 30 goals again if hes sent on a second line with 15min average instead of 17. This is just an obvious fact.
He scored 30 goals on dead seasons where we had nobody else. I see him as a 40 point second winger who wuld average 19-22 goals a season like Toffoli.

Also you dead ass know that leadership and ''heart of this team'' is something real enough to boost his value which is stupid in my opinion.

We don’t know what’s holding it up. I don’t care if he has asked for 10mil & 7 yrs, it’s just the beginning. I would not expect a player to low ball themselves before the process even started. Even if they don’t find middle ground, so what, MB will have to make a tough decision and move him.

He won’t put up 30 again, sure he will. If he re-signs he will still get top line minutes and PP time. If it’s a very long contract (7) than yeah there will be a decline in the back half.

What I do know, is to question his leadership because he hasn’t gotten his contract done yet is ridiculous.

Gally works his tail off, competes in the hard areas and pots 30 goals, year after year.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
We don’t know what’s holding it up. I don’t care if he has asked for 10mil & 7 yrs, it’s just the beginning. I would not expect a player to low ball themselves before the process even started. Even if they don’t find middle ground, so what, MB will have to make a tough decision and move him.

He won’t put up 30 again, sure he will. If he re-signs he will still get top line minutes and PP time. If it’s a very long contract (7) than yeah there will be a decline in the back half.

What I do know, is to question his leadership because he hasn’t gotten his contract done yet is ridiculous.

Gally works his tail off, competes in the hard areas and pots 30 goals, year after year.
'' Decline in the back half'' He's already on the decline. Like i Said minus the upcoming season and the next 2. The rest of his deal will be albatross. Hes not worth that 4 years+. Everybody here damn know its happening , even Bergevin while making those moves realized. Also Caufield is coming up next season. That puts Toffoli Anderson Caufield and Ufa Armia and Gallagher. Armia is a goner because hes not worth 3m a season on a 4th line and Gallagher will take 3rd line duty? Hell nah.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
I would take it and run without looking back. This is a no brainer of a trade

Vancouver have nothing on the right side beside Boeser. They would like to add Gallagher and keep Boeser.

Virtanen + Podkolzin + 2nd round pick would be the price to pay.

Would they be willing to pay the price? That, I don't know..

Romanov would be happy to have his buddy with him in Montreal (Podkolzin). They've played a lot of international hockey together (Podkolzin being the captain and Romanov one of the assistant-captain, for the most part).

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I don't think Tatar ever expected to be re-upped. He and Petry were the only guys we took calls on last deadline.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I would prefer trading Gallagher for a LW but if Virtanen is really part of discussions, we needmore coming our way.

Scared of Virtanen becoming a Kassian 2.0 in montreal. He seems to like nightlife... might be only rumours though.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

Romanov would be happy to have his buddy with him in Montreal (Podkolzin). They've played a lot of international hockey together (Podkolzin being the captain and Romanov one of the assistant-captain, for the most part).
Meh i hate Virtanen , a prospect is a prospect and the 2021 draft is said to be real weak.

Id rather trade him for a 1st if we were to trade him at the deadline

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

source.gif

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Who said Gallagher should take a discount?

What I said was that Gallagher himself, was very vocal about wanting to see a commitment from management that they were going to do all it took to win, in order for him to consider signing an extension here. He made it a point, to publicly state this at the end of the year when asked about his pending UFA status.

As far as not making the team better...only time will tell.

Ohhh I did not know that. Sounds like MB was indeed in a rush to find some "upgrades" in order to keep his core happy.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
IF Stamkos is available ??? BGALLY and many other pieces for STEVE?
Stamkos is 8.5 m a yr locked

6. If there are any “temporary bubbles,” hopefully Colorado and Vegas are lumped together. What an arms race, and we deserve this entertainment. What we know: Vegas signed Pietrangelo to the biggest contract of the 2020 free-agent extravaganza. What we’re hearing: the Golden Knights, aggressive from their owner on down, tried to do even more, considering Hall and Steven Stamkos.

We’ll get to Hall in a moment, but I do believe Stamkos was asked to consider waiving his no-move by Tampa Bay. There’s a wall of secrecy around it, and the captain is recovering from surgery. Obviously, his health is a huge factor. (Stamkos calmed the Lightning after their emotional overtime loss in Game 5 of the Stanley Final, re-assuring them, reminding them how well they played.) 31 Thoughts: Inside the tough, tense early days of NHL free agency - Sportsnet.ca

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
'' Decline in the back half'' He's already on the decline. Like i Said minus the upcoming season and the next 2. The rest of his deal will be albatross. Hes not worth that 4 years+. Everybody here damn know its happening , even Bergevin while making those moves realized. Also Caufield is coming up next season. That puts Toffoli Anderson Caufield and Ufa Armia and Gallagher. Armia is a goner because hes not worth 3m a season on a 4th line and Gallagher will take 3rd line duty? Hell nah.

Have to disagree, I think Gally has 4 more in him no problem and Caufield isn't going to crack the lineup next year that’s a pipe dream.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016

I'd do it..win win

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
IF Stamkos is available ??? BGALLY and many other pieces for STEVE?
Stamkos is 8.5 m a yr locked

6. If there are any “temporary bubbles,” hopefully Colorado and Vegas are lumped together. What an arms race, and we deserve this entertainment. What we know: Vegas signed Pietrangelo to the biggest contract of the 2020 free-agent extravaganza. What we’re hearing: the Golden Knights, aggressive from their owner on down, tried to do even more, considering Hall and Steven Stamkos.

We’ll get to Hall in a moment, but I do believe Stamkos was asked to consider waiving his no-move by Tampa Bay. There’s a wall of secrecy around it, and the captain is recovering from surgery. Obviously, his health is a huge factor. (Stamkos calmed the Lightning after their emotional overtime loss in Game 5 of the Stanley Final, re-assuring them, reminding them how well they played.) 31 Thoughts: Inside the tough, tense early days of NHL free agency - Sportsnet.ca
Lightning will want young guys and prospects to help them with their cap, not older dudes wanting raises.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
No way should he get anything close to what Marchand makes. Times have changed and the additions of Toffoli and Anderson almost make him redundant. Craig Smith signed for a pretty cheap deal and would take Tyler Johnson over him,more versatile and a better player overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad