TSN: TSN1040 Vancouver: Contract talks with Gallagher have stalled and broken off

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
No you can't. But if we lose a bunch a good players ... are we really any better? lol
If they're replaced by equally good or hopefully better players...we can be better, sure.

There's roster turnover every year. You don't keep the same team forever, the Habs look totally different today then they did 2yrs ago, it'll be the same 2yrs from now.

Reactions: Redux91

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
But i'm not saying he HAS to take a discount. I'm all for players going after their money. More power to them.

I'm just saying, he was vocal about the Habs improving their roster...well there's a cost to that.

So in order to stay he doesn't have to give us a discount?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So in order to stay he doesn't have to give us a discount?
Not necessarily...he may not want a discount and the Habs may cave and pay him because of what he represents to the team (not saying I agree with this).

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Lehkonen is a RFA and if Armia is gone, he's gone...you can't keep everyone.

Plus we should see Cole Caufield on the team sometime in the next 18 months or so
Lehkonen's QO will be 2.4M (I think). So even if he signs for it.. that leaves us with like 5.5 million for 5 forwards.

Plus we have 5 million coming off the books the next year Chiarot, Kulak - with Suzuki and Romanov also needing new deals.

So we will have ~5 million for 4 spots + the cap from whatever Seattle takes.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
If they're replaced by equally good or hopefully better players...we can be better, sure.

There's roster turnover every year. You don't keep the same team forever, the Habs look totally different today then they did 2yrs ago, it'll be the same 2yrs from now.
Hope can you replace them that easily?

Roster turnover is one thing. Contract management is so important and it doesn't seem like Begervin cares much about 2 years from now.

If Suzuki scores 50+ the next two seasons, we're screwed unless we resign neither Danault or Gallagher - and that doesn't even count losing Tatar.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I feel like Gally's agent felt they lost leverage in negotiations so he tried to create some by dropping this story in hopes of getting a groundswell of support from fans and foster a sense of outrage that we could lose Gally. What they ended up getting was a whole lot of meh and less leverage.

If they don't realize that and look at a sub $6M deal, I can see him getting moved especially that the fans have the knives out for Benning and he'd love to bring in a local 30 goal scorer to appease the masses. Can imagine quite the haul for Gally in that scenario.

Last edited:
Reactions: salbutera

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Lehkonen's QO will be 2.4M (I think). So even if he signs for it.. that leaves us with like 5.5 million for 5 forwards.

Plus we have 5 million coming off the books the next year Chiarot, Kulak - with Suzuki and Romanov also needing new deals.

So we will have ~5 million for 4 spots + the cap from whatever Seattle takes.
Assuming everything else stays the same.

But I don't personally think we're going to see both Gallagher and Danault on this team beyond next year. It'll be one or the other, but not both.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Assuming everything else stays the same.

But I don't personally think we're going to see both Gallagher and Danault on this team beyond next year. It'll be one or the other, but not both.
We best hope Anderson is far better than we think or the kids become amazing (but not too amazing or were in offer sheet hell). Cause that means we've lost two 50+ point players in Tatar and Option 2.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hope can you replace them that easily?
Well that's up to the GM to properly manage them as assets. Are there some pending UFAs he's prepared to walk away from and get nothing in order to have a competitive team this coming year?

Letting Armia walk as a UFA vs letting Gallagher/Danault walk as UFAs is completely different.

Armia can be replaced, it would be difficult to replace both Gallagher and Danault.

Roster turnover is one thing. Contract management is so important and it doesn't seem like Begervin cares much about 2 years from now.

If Suzuki scores 50+ the next two seasons, we're screwed unless we resign neither Danault or Gallagher - and that doesn't even count losing Tatar.
Nah that would be great actually.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
i feel like Gally's agent felt they lost leverage in negotiations so he tried to create some by dropping this story in hopes of getting a groundswell of support from fans and foster a sense of outrage that we could lose Gally. What they ended up getting was a whole lot of meh.

If that was the intention then it happened too early. We still have him for next year so most folks don't care much about a year from now atm. Although if he had been heading to the UFAs this year for sure people would have wanted him back. He's one of the face of the franchise.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Not necessarily...he may not want a discount and the Habs may cave and pay him because of what he represents to the team (not saying I agree with this).

The point is Habs management is going to go to Gallagher and say look we made moves to make the team better like you wanted and now don't have money for you unless you give us a discount.

But that's a hard sell (And somewhat disrespectful) when you are spending so much money on backup goalies, bottom pairing D-men, and "top-6" players with questionable production.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Well that's up to the GM to properly manage them as assets. Are there some pending UFAs he's prepared to walk away from and get nothing in order to have a competitive team this coming year?

Letting Armia walk as a UFA vs letting Gallagher/Danault walk as UFAs is completely different.

Armia can be replaced, it would be difficult to replace both Gallagher and Danault.

Nah that would be great actually.
As a fan - yup. Trying to hold off offer sheets for him and Romanov? Gross.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The point is Habs management is going to go to Gallagher and say look we made moves to make the team better like you wanted and now don't have money for you unless you give us a discount.

But that's a hard sell (And somewhat disrespectful) when you are spending so much money on backup goalies, bottom pairing D-men, and "top-6" players with questionable production.
Agreed. Completely different than grabbing say Nate Schmidt and Toffoli/Hoffman. Could have still traded Domi for cap relief.

I really hope Anderson scores 30/50. But considering he didn't even score 30 in junior... I have a hard time believing it.

Reactions: calder candidate

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Because Gallagher's shot doesn't suck donkey balls. There's a lot more to having a good shot then looking good in a shooting competition but you seem to ignore that.

Gallagher's potential production over the next few years is higher then Anderson's. So the whole potential vs past success is irrelevant.

Gallagher’s got a muffin of a shot.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Petry a good veteran coming from a good season : Hey I love the place , ill take a discount because i love Montreal and im a good leader!
Gallagher coming from an average season and bad playoff performance : Lol im worth 6.5m+ for 7 years , I won't take no discount , im a glorious 50 points player on the decline who even my agent knows im not a first liner and publicly said it , but hey im a leader for this team!

Leadership my ass

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

For the fun of it.....I worked from there.
Since the defense is fixed, no movement there.

Jake Evans : 750,000
Cole Caufield: 925,000

Player A = $6,250,000
Player B = $5,250,000
Player C = $2,8750,000
Player D = $2,8750,000
Player E = $1,000,000
Player F = $750,000

That gives the Habs a full rosters with $1.3M of free Cap space
Pretty sure we'll lose someone like Kulak (replace by Fleury) or Allen (replace by Primeau) that will surely gives us at least 1 more million of free dead cap space.

Now it's all about putting names next to those amount.
Surely impossible to keep all Gallagher, Tatar, Danault, Armia and Lehkonen.
Kotkaniemi will take at least the money of Player C/D here.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Petry a good veteran coming from a good season : Hey I love the place , ill take a discount because i love Montreal and im a good leader!
Gallagher coming from an average season and bad playoff performance : Lol im worth 6.5m+ for 7 years , I won't take no discount , im a glorious 50 points player on the decline who even my agent knows im not a first liner and publicly said it , but hey im a leader for this team!

Leadership my ass

Lekhonen shouldnt be let go for 0 reason. Armia is frail and always injured. I don't expect him to stay. Tatar is not worth the 6.5m at long term as for Danault , if he takes 4.5m for 5 years on the third line. No problem for me. Gally can rot with his 6.5m , leader my ass

Reactions: HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

Leadership my ass

You are sure reading a lot into one report. We don’t know what his demand is or what MBs offer is. Frankly, it’s just the beginning of the beginning process.

Average season, not sure about that, he would have gotten 30 again if not hurt or a shortened season. He also scored 30+ the two prior season. I’ll give you his PO wasn’t great but he was hurt and his effort was there. Questioning his leadership is pure BS because he hasn’t signed yet. The guy works hard every night and produces.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
You are sure reading a lot into one report. We don’t know what his demand is or what MBs offer is. Frankly, it’s just the beginning of the beginning process.

Average season, not sure about that, he would have gotten 30 again if not hurt or a shortened season. He also scored 30+ the two prior season. I’ll give you his PO wasn’t great but he was hurt and his effort was there. Questioning his leadership is pure BS because he hasn’t signed yet. The guy works hard every night and produces.
That his obvious that hes asking more than 6m. Bergevin even said that Gallagher were to be the most paid forward in this team before making all those moves. For Gallagher agent to come out and say this , probably triggered Bergevin a guy that doesnt love to talk about contracts and trade in publics.

Also he won't get ever 30 goals again if hes sent on a second line with 15min average instead of 17. This is just an obvious fact.
He scored 30 goals on dead seasons where we had nobody else. I see him as a 40 point second winger who wuld average 19-22 goals a season like Toffoli.

Also you dead ass know that leadership and ''heart of this team'' is something real enough to boost his value which is stupid in my opinion.

StartTheShow

Dec 29, 2013
Just curious how many of you would take this deal if it was on the table. Boeser for Gallagher and C Fleury?

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
For the fun of it.....I worked from there.
Since the defense is fixed, no movement there.

Jake Evans : 750,000
Cole Caufield: 925,000

Player A = $6,250,000
Player B = $5,250,000
Player C = $2,8750,000
Player D = $2,8750,000
Player E = $1,000,000
Player F = $750,000

That gives the Habs a full rosters with $1.3M of free Cap space
Pretty sure we'll lose someone like Kulak (replace by Fleury) or Allen (replace by Primeau) that will surely gives us at least 1 more million of free dead cap space.

Now it's all about putting names next to those amount.
Surely impossible to keep all Gallagher, Tatar, Danault, Armia and Lehkonen.
Kotkaniemi will take at least the money of Player C/D here.

With some chance, by playing hardball with the right terms, they could negotiate for :

Gally = $5,600,000
Danault = $4,750,000
Kotkaniemi = $3,000,000
Armia = $2,875,000
Lekhonen = $2,500,000
Player E = $1,000,000
Player F = $750,000

Cap space = $650,000

Byron and Tatar out. This is the best that they remains somewhat competitive in the long run IMO and in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad