TSN: TSN1040 Vancouver: Contract talks with Gallagher have stalled and broken off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Gallagher wants to get paid and have security like anyone else.

This is likely to be his big payday, so I don't expect a hometown discount.

I think 7M might be my ceiling on what I'd pay.

I'm also a little apprehensive to give him 8 years, but that type of thing doesn't seem to bother MB.

I would like 4 years, but Gallagher would never do that.

Honestly not sure what's going to happen with Gallagher.

Lots of decisions to make for MB.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
love him but it's as huge risk on term beyond 5 years for a small guy who plays big. I can't imagine Bergevin losing him for free if they can't reach an agreement

Reactions: Habano

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
It is a bit like the Carey Price extension situation.

He is not worth the requested price but because of sentimental attachment some fans feel he deserves to be paid like a top player.

IMO we should trade him if we can find a suitor or even let him get on free agency and let another team overpay for him.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The only way we save ourselves from the bomb of the contract is if Brendan Gallagher prices himself above what MB would overpay him.

Let's see if Gally can save us from ourselves, because this is a player who I have been on record as saying - will not be effective long into his 30s.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It is a bit like the Carey Price extension situation.

He is not worth the requested price but because of sentimental attachment some fans feel he deserves to be paid like a top player.

IMO we should trade him if we can find a suitor or even let him get on free agency and let another team overpay for him.

He should never get to free agency.

Sign him or trade him. Those are the only two acceptable outcomes.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Trade him if you can’t get a reasonable contract done.

He’s a very valuable trade chip, so we should be ok in all scenarios

Reactions: dralaf

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The only way we save ourselves from the bomb of the contract is if Brendan Gallagher prices himself above what MB would overpay him.

Let's see if Gally can save us from ourselves, because this is a player who I have been on record as saying - will not be effective long into his 30s.

I can vouch for this, and I am in total agreement.

He’s going to fall off and fall off hard before he hits 33, IMO.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
If he somehow ends up traded to a Canadian Western team and the Canadian Division thing happens this season, that could be a trade 'within the division' lol. For only a year (hopefully).

Gains

Apr 29, 2012
Montreal
He doesn't deserve to be the highest paid forward IMO. Use the Anderson contract as a comparable. Gally is 2 years older so offer him 5 years instead of 7, and @ 5.5.

Also, we have Caufield coming soon and we already have Toffoli and Anderson locked up on the right for the next 4 years.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If we lose Gallagher for nothing then the positive impact of our last acquisitions will be short lived.

True statement.

But plenty of time. I hope Bergevin moves all pending UFA's before risking losing them for nothing.

There are some good wingers left on the market. I'd move Tatar for good picks and bring in one of them.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee and LaP

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
His cap hit I’ll probably digest, however the term is the key here.

His body won’t hold up. He knows it, we know it, MB knows it.

4 years max I would say.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I wonder if we see a Gallagher traded at the deadline even should we be in a playoff spot. It'll always sting to lose his heart, but at least his production from the right side can be somewhat mitigated by the additions of Anderson, Toffoli, and potentially Caufield.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad