TSN Top-50 Players

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
There's a few things on the list that jump out.

Foremost though is Getzlaf and Bergeron seem low to me. Maybe not for much longer but if I was going into this season, they'd both be in that upper-tier of players I'd want to help my team win. Not as flashy, and I can understand TSN wanting to add some kids to the list and bring in different positions but they're still two of the most effective players in the league.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Marchand isn't better than Bergeron.

I was going to use that as an example for my last post. The perfect illustration of how they went for flash over substance. Two guys who play on the same line together. Marchand had a fantastic year and put up a tonne of points - but Bergeron is just a better player.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Matthews is a perfect hockey player with zero flaws, who finished 2nd in the league in goals and 6th in the league in primary points. As a rookie.

Of course he's a top-10 player.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
True. I'd put him @ 8. He has a bigger impact on Toronto than Hedman/Burns have on TBL/SJ. Good one for catching that one.
Stop being so biased. Matthews is not a top 10 player in the NHL and you know it.

The kid finished 20th in scoring, still has a lot to learn on the defensive side of things and has never done anything in the playoffs beyond getting a taste of the first round. Does that sound like the kind of player who should be ranked ahead of Benn, Tavares, Doughty, Getzlaf, Bergeron, Backstrom, Kopitar, etc?

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
My boy johnny toews finally getting the rating he should have been getting in his prime

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Matthews is a perfect hockey player with zero flaws, who finished 2nd in the league in goals and 6th in the league in primary points. As a rookie.

Of course he's a top-10 player.

He should be higher

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Matthews is so good that he should be rated at 0. He's so much better than everyone else that he needs to have his own tier, and then the real rankings start.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Stop being so biased. Matthews is not a top 10 player in the NHL and you know it.

The kid finished 20th in scoring, still has a lot to learn on the defensive side of things and has never done anything in the playoffs beyond getting a taste of the first round. Does that sound like the kind of player who should be ranked ahead of Benn, Tavares, Doughty, Getzlaf, Bergeron, Backstrom, Kopitar, etc?

:laugh::laugh:

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
Kucherov shouldn't be ahead of Burns who shouldn't be ahead of Hedman. Matthews over Backstrom and Tavares? Can't wait until Tavares signs a one year deal with the Leafs and skyrockets to number 4.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kucherov shouldn't be ahead of Burns who shouldn't be ahead of Hedman. Matthews over Backstrom and Tavares? Can't wait until Tavares signs a one year deal with the Leafs and skyrockets to number 4.

As a TB fan, I'd swap Kuch and Hedman too. But it's a razor thin margin between these two. TSN having them so close is pretty impressive, really. I think if you were to poll TB fans on who's the better player, Hedman would eek out a win. Great to see them both inside the top 10 though. They deserve to be there.

Now... Let's see TB stay healthy for a year. (Looking at you, Stammer. ;) )

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Disagree, he was 2nd in the NHL in goals, and top 10 in many, many metrics. Unless you are measuring only points, then that is different, but as an all around player, I think at the end of the year he will be higher.

I think he is exactly where he should be. Maybe a few places lower.

Jul 22, 2012
I hate how this message board is making me despise Auston Matthews. Seems like a good kid and a great hockey player, but you guys are seriously insufferable.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
"If you ran into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens, Justified

What this means for this thread (and other similar threads) is that if you think every NHL player ranking list "is wrong because Matthews is too high", then maybe you're the one that's "wrong" for underrating Matthews.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Lol at McDavid over Crosby because of 1 season. Why was Kane not ranked 1st going into last season like McDavid is ranked 1st now? There was a bigger divide between Kane and Crosby in 2015-2016 than McDavid and Crosby in 2016-2017.

I'm pretty sure everyone went over this with you for another list where McDavid was ahead. This is projection for the season and most people think McDavid will only improve. Everyone knew Kane wasnt repeating his season. Both McDavid and Crosby also drive play better than Kane and are much better defensively

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
"If you ran into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens, Justified

What this means for this thread (and other similar threads) is that if you think every NHL player ranking list "is wrong because Matthews is too high", then maybe you're the one that's "wrong" for underrating Matthews.

By extension, when actual GMs draft your latest new shiny thing #17, maybe they're not wrong?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I get Mitch Marner is going to be a good player, but I don't see how he is better than Stone or Hoffman atm.

In a vacuum, McDavid is #1, people forget Crosby Malkin's first post season drubbing against the Senators where they lost the series 4-1. I expect him to be even better this year.

I value Karlsson more than Crosby, who deserves number 2 ranking with b2b cups and Conne Smythes.

Also glad to see Patty Kane getting just recognition, I find him forever underrated by Canadian media (Toews anyone?).

It's just a ranking by hockey media at the end, who knows maybe a Matthews or a Laine makes things interesting this year wrt top-5.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
By extension, when actual GMs draft your latest new shiny thing #17, maybe they're not wrong?

Maybe, but it's way easier to be accurate with a ranking of nhl players for their performance next year than it is to be accurate with a teenage defenseman from Sweden over his career

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad