TSN Top-50 Players

randomhockeyfan

Sep 23, 2016
How the hell is Matthews number 10 but Eichel is at 21? And people are saying there's no Toronto bias. Matthews gon be good but no way he's better than for example Backstrom and Tavares right now.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
McDavid ahead of Crosby is dead wrong, especially after the playoffs. McDavid is miles behind Sid defensively.

The media is in love with Karlsson because he does flashy things (Subban too).

In no world is Pastrnak ahead of Kopitar.

Doughty is twice the player Burns is.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol at McDavid over Crosby because of 1 season. Why was Kane not ranked 1st going into last season like McDavid is ranked 1st now? There was a bigger divide between Kane and Crosby in 2015-2016 than McDavid and Crosby in 2016-2017.
Lol at Matthews over Backstrom, despite Backstrom being miles better than Matthews in Matthews' only season
Lol at Burns over Doughty
Lol at Marner on this list while Kessel isn't

I also think Price is too high if you're ranking Holtby at 19, Bobrovsky at 28 and Murray at 41.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
No surprise at all that tsn has Matthews way too high. He should be below at least 5-6 centres behind him.

As a biased Ducks fan Getzlaf at 24 seems too low. Especially given a few guys ahead of him (Seguin, Matthews, Ovi, Marchand, Backstrom to name a few).

Some non biased comments - Kopitar is way too low. One down year shouldn't drop him that much. Malkin is also too low, as are Hedman and Eichel. Ovi is way too high.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I just don't know why there's such separation between Matthews, Laine, and Eichel. Those three, IMO, are pretty much on the same tier, and should probably be ranked within 3 to 5 spot of each other.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Too Low: I don't think anyone is too low, just move down the players that are too high and shift everyone else up

giphy.gif

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
People need to, when taking issue with the list, keep in mind that TSN themselves, in the very article linked, refer to this as a projection, as decided by a panel of 22 TSN experts.

That's not to say I don't take issue with parts of the list myself, but just worth keeping in mind.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I just don't know why there's such separation between Matthews, Laine, and Eichel. Those three, IMO, are pretty much on the same tier, and should probably be ranked within 3 to 5 spot of each other.

They're fairly close but Matthews is the clearcut leader among them. All the players in that range are really close though so it's tough

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Matthews must be the only player who gets ranked based on hype and potential on a list that apparently ranks the players based on current ability.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Matthews must be the only player who gets ranked based on hype and potential on a list that apparently ranks the players based on current ability.

Actually every single player on the list was ranked based on a projection by TSN of what they're season will be. That doesn't mean it has no problems, but everyone was judged on potential as well as performance.

It's a good try though.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
You guys will see about Matthews. He improved his first stride and acceleration and seems to be playing comfortably in his body. Embrace Papi.

Nylander was robbed. He's going to take the league by storm. If you're playing fantasy hockey ld pick him up sooner than later. These two are going to have a monster year

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Someone convince me Kucherov is a better player than Marchand, because they have nearly identical stat line but one crushed the other at even strength and is a far better defensive player.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They're fairly close but Matthews is the clearcut leader among them. All the players in that range are really close though so it's tough

The rankings don't have them close, though. Matthews is basically in the "top tier" in those rankings (top ten), while Laine and Eichel aren't even in "tier two" (11-20).

IMO, they should have all been in the same tier. If TSN thinks Matthews is good enough to be 10th, then Laine and Eichel should have been ranked somewhere in the 11-16 range. There's just not enough separation, IMO, between them that Matthews is considered better than all those guys in the 11-20 range, yet TSN doesn't think Eichel or Laine are.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Just reading the thread title, I knew Matthews would be ranked high and I also knew the most common complaint in the replies would be about Matthews. Oh well, haters gon hate.

40 goal rookie season, little pre-season hatty last night too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad