Marchand says injuring opponents is part of the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Implied shimplied. Some are acting like he’s saying his goal is to end careers. He’s just saying that everybody is hitting to hurt.
It's Marchand. We all know exactly what he means. And I have no problem with it. The physicality is part of the reason the Cup is so hard to win. If you're not hitting to hurt or injure the other guy you're not doing it right.

But let's call a spade a spade. It's Brad f***ing Marchand.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
taken verbatim directly from the forbidden Bible of Marchand.

in hockey, there is an unwritten menuscript that details the correct way to injure someone, and its up to Marchand to expand the messianic interpretations to cover more grounds.

Last edited:

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Sure, the game will be much better once McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Heiskanen, Tkachuk, Swayman, Aho, Panarin and Hughes are hurt and "taken out", so the plugs can get more icetime.

I don't get fans applauding to this.

This bush league still don't understand they have to protect their star players against this Neanderthal mentality.

I don't have an issue with the "hurting" part of Marchand's comment. I have an issue with the "taking out" part. This is just wrong.
Hurting someone and injuring someone are two different things entirely.

Mongo

Mongo likes candy!
Nov 27, 2008
Vermont
Marchand tried to hurt Bennett and got hurt. KARMA. At least Marchand is speaking the truth about his rat antics and playoff hockey.
Where did he try to hurt Bennett? With a shoulder check that was finishing a check after bennet had the puck. Maybe a tad late, but nothing egregious. Your hate for Marchand is living rent free in your head if you think he was doing anything terrible there.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
where did he try to hurt Bennett? with a shoulder check that was finishing a check after bennet had the puck. Maybe a tad late but nothing egregious. Your hate for Marchand is living rent free in your head if you think he was doing anything terrible there.
Marchand told you himself and you are denying it. HE said you try to hurt people every check. Do you think he was going to try to check Bennett just to kiss him, lick his face, and make a new friend?

Mongo

Mongo likes candy!
Nov 27, 2008
Vermont
Marchand told you himself and you are denying it. HE said you try to hurt people every check. Do you think he was going to try to check marchand just to kiss him and make a new friend?
OK, I took your comment more of an intent to injure in a serious way and not a "he checks him and to hurt him kind of way". He intended to check Bennett and I don't think anyone is on the hook for getting punched in the face because they wanted to check someone.

If you feel a punch to the face is Karma for a check, there would be a lot of players on the hook to get cold cocked.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He could’ve just said “hockey is a rough game” like 1000 other players have before, instead of being extra like this.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
OK, I took your comment more of an intent to injure in a serious way and not a "he checks him and to hurt him kind of way". He intended to check Bennett and I don't think anyone is on the hook for getting punched in the face because they wanted to check someone.

If you feel a punch to the face is Karma for a check, there would be a lot of players on the hook to get cold cocked.
He definitely skated over to Bennett to deliver a check to make him feel pain and he got all the pain. It was a defensive check and he probably raised his arm to create force after contact. Now the punch to the face could be accidental from raising his arm to deliver the counter blow or Bennett could have did it intentionally. I have counter checked guys in beer league that get mad when they are down, then they try to deliver a dirty hit, and they lose their mind. Being able to deliver a solid counter check is a great skill to have in hockey. Only bennett knows and the rat got out ratted. If the NHl suspended Marchand for his 10 games and Bennett for his hit on Marchand I would be okay with it. KARMA put the the diriest player in hockey currently who should be suspended for shoving a ref for 8 more games minimum. Not saying the ref didn't go to far against Marchand when he threw him to the ground a game or two before.

• Haha
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Mongo

Mongo likes candy!
Nov 27, 2008
Vermont
He definitely skated over to Bennett to deliver a check to make him feel pain and he got all the pain. KARMA put the the diriest player in hockey currently who should be suspended for shoving a ref for 8 more games minimum. Not saying the ref didn't go to far against Marchand when he threw him to the ground a game or two before.
Marchand is not the dirtiest player in hockey anymore. He did some skeevy things early and in the mid point of his career but he's mostly cleaned himself up and he's never been a Matt Cooke or Raffi Torres type of dirty player either. I get he has a reputation and he's 100% deserved it for some of the things he pulled, but its 2024. He's not the NHL's boogeyman anymore.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Marchand is not the dirtiest player in hockey anymore. He did some skeevy things early and in the mid point of his career but he's mostly cleaned himself up and he's never been a Matt Cooke or Raffi Torres type of dirty player either. I get he has a reputation and he's 100% deserved it for some of the things he pulled, but its 2024. He's not the NHL boogeyman anymore.
I mean spearing guys, kneeing them, and slew footing them is not clean. Now this does even go intot he creep sexual stuff such as licking a guy in the face or kissing them without their permission. Marchand earned his reputation and deserves every piece of Karma sent his way on the ice.

• Haha
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
He's right that's why you don't reveal a players injury in the post season. Upperbody, lower body injury or pull a sullivan and say a body injury,

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
What are your thoughts?

He should know, right?

I don't condone what Bennet did but this is a little bit of Kharma here right?

Marchand told you himself and you are denying it. HE said you try to hurt people every check.
If anyone hates Marchand there is probably a good reason, people thinking otherwise need to open there eyes, Marchand is what he is.

Do you think he was going to try to check Bennett just to kiss him, lick his face, and make a new friend?
This is a possibility though right?

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
On an old episode of Spittin Chiclets, Brooks Orpik says come playoffs players definitely lean more into their hit than in the regular season.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Of course, what Marchand says is quite true. What is truly puzzling is the people that watch players get hurt by other players but are very quick to say it was an "accident" or there was "no intent" on cheap shot plays. Get real.

Six or seven years ago, Crosby went to the net vs. Washington in the playoffs and Ovechkin hit him in the head with his stick which threw him off-balance into Matt Niskanen who finished him off with a cross-check to the face. And there were pages upon pages of posts here saying that it was unintentional and just happenstance. Please.

When the opportunity presents itself, and knocking the other guy out helps your team win, it happens frequently. Let us not deny that. How many series did the Devils win after Scott Stevens laid out the top line of the other team? Is it right? That's the question we should be asking.

My Best-Carey
In thar case, why suspend Soucy?

Towers

Speculator
Oct 7, 2008
Speculation Ave
Marchand is not the dirtiest player in hockey anymore. He did some skeevy things early and in the mid point of his career but he's mostly cleaned himself up and he's never been a Matt Cooke or Raffi Torres type of dirty player either. I get he has a reputation and he's 100% deserved it for some of the things he pulled, but its 2024. He's not the NHL's boogeyman anymore.
I'm a Canuck's fan that was devastated by 2011 but you are 100% right. He still does the occasional dumb thing but the Marchand of the 2010s and the Marchand of the 2020s are not the same. I'm happy to be wrong but I think he took that dirty edge and just made it an edge. He plays hard and he plays to win and I would take him on my team in a heartbeat.

Nov 20, 2013
Sweden
The NHL is one severe injury and landmark lawsuit away from having to clean up these things. We are indulging in some kind of primal dream of trying to find a suppressed manhood.

I want to enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad